The Creeper Injury

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't you hate when you're training hard, everything seems fine, then you get done, go sit for a bit, and only when you get back up hours later you discover something isn't right? I'm going through that right now. One of my friends and I were in a great sparring sessions last night. I hit SOMETHING hard with my instep, because now it's just. Throbbing mess. Seattle is NOT fun to limp around in.

Oh well. It was good training. I will go to a doctor later if it doesn't clear up.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
This happens to Me all the time. Ill get slammed with something, feel fine, but later, ill find its bruised and sore :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep. Sucks. Sorry man. I'm currently limping around due to a weird cramped calf muscle. Not even sure how I did it, although I know when. We were just warming up, kicking the heavy bag, and I kicked it with a roundhouse kick and my calf exploded in pain; as if I had woken up in the middle of the night with a cramp in my leg. Never had that happen before. Now it's Friday, I did it on Monday, and when I think it's almost better, it's back again. Suckage.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It happens to me, too. Nothing serious enough to keep me from training, but nagging, irritating type things.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This one has me limping pretty heavy. Had to pick up a cane it was so bad. Pretty sure its just a deep bruise, but we will see.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it's the darn white and yellow belts, if I just didn't have to show them how to kick, I'd be fine.

Last month I showed my white belt class a rear leg front kick kicking towards a the top of a Century blocker little higher than knee high. Then as I retracted the kick I felt it in my knee, next day I'm limping with a knee swollen for a week.

Tuesday I'm showing two White and Yellow striped belts (new students from another school) a side kick; you know "don't point your toes, kick with the heel (bottom of foot)" on a Wavemaster XL again about thigh or groin high and the same leg buckles OCH that hurt. I didn't kick hard or fast or do anything that should have hurt, but it sure did.

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Then I'll MAYBE see the doctor, is I REALLY need it! ;)

OP
Josh Oakley

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basically, kiddos, if you need to lay the smack down on the boar man, wear a white belt and he will do it to himself FOR you!

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
With age comes wisdom. I think that's how it goes right? Well not so much for those of us who practice MA. Yes we ( for the most part ) gain wisdom through life experience and perfecting our individual techniques and arts. But we never seem to learn that keeping up with ( or attempting to keep up with ) the 16 year old who is built like a pit bull & possesses the same instincts is a BAD IDEA. So we hurt ourselves when we train and when we spar. And then our supporting wives, meaning mine has to tell us to stop cowboying up & go to the chiropractor. Which is why I sympathise with you JO. And why my instructor only lets us grapple and spar on Fridays. Because the old guys need recovery time if we are to walk into class upright and without a limp in front of the young guys. Be Wise. Be Humble. Go to the doctor.:bangahead:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep. Sucks. Sorry man. I'm currently limping around due to a weird cramped calf muscle. Not even sure how I did it, although I know when. We were just warming up, kicking the heavy bag, and I kicked it with a roundhouse kick and my calf exploded in pain; as if I had woken up in the middle of the night with a cramp in my leg. Never had that happen before. Now it's Friday, I did it on Monday, and when I think it's almost better, it's back again. Suckage.

I recall once in Korea, our gym was a little cold. We were doing our series kicks and I was doing a back spin kick of some type. My GM somehow contacted my calf with the focus paddle and it immediately cramped bad. I was in the middle of my spin and all my weight was on that foot and me on my toes. However, the calf itself wasn't injured, but the ligaments in the instep of my foot. I limped pretty badly for two weeks. But I made practice every day and did what I could. I am sure everyone here would and does, do the same.

decepticon

Green Belt
Reaction score
So we hurt ourselves when we train and when we spar. And then our supporting wives, meaning mine has to tell us to stop cowboying up & go to the chiropractor.

Your wife must be a lot nicer than I am! I tend to tell my husband that if it hurts enough to groan and complain about, then go to the chiropractor. He doesn't cowboy up in silence, instead he is very...verbal about his discomfort;).

Seriously though, several years ago I used to be a licensed massage therapist and worked with several athletes. Their coaches would usually have them soak in the coldest bath they could stand after a hard training session, in an attempt to provide cold therapy to any slight injuries that they might have sustained during the session. You can also do this for specific areas, if you have worked them hard. For example, if you have done lots of blocks during a particular session, you might think about going home, filling the kitchen sink with cold water and some ice, and soaking your forearms for 10 - 15 minutes, take a short break, and then soak again. Even if you don't have any symptoms at that time. Feet, hands, and forearms are easy - it gets tricky to spot soak the rest of your body unless you soak all of you in a bathtub. You can always take a short cut and just apply an ice pack to the overworked areas.

BTW, some cheap and effective ice packs can be easily made by combining isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) and water in a 1:1 ratio in a zip-lock, water tight plastic baggie and storing it in your freezer. The combined liquids have a low freezing point and will not freeze hard in most freezers, so will contour easily to hips, legs, elbows, etc. I usually double up with two bags to keep any leaks from causing a problem. Also, when using this or any ice pack, be sure to use a protective layer to keep your skin from becoming damaged from the excessive cold. I like using a piece of cotton flannel fabric, but cotton gauze or any thin fabric layer will work well.

When I wake up the next day with a previously undetected injury, I usually apply arnica gel if it is a bruise or Tiger Balm or other topical analgesic if it is more of an ache or tight muscle. For swollen areas, I use the RICE formula - rest, ice, compression, and elevation. My most frequent area to come up with these irritating "creepers" is my knees. I suspect I have slight arthritis in them already. If we do lots of kicking in class or lots of hard, quick, lateral directional changes, I usually wake up hurting the next day. So far I have had good results with the analgesic ointments plus deep tissue massage of the quads, and wrapping the affected knee with an elastic bandage to remind me to baby it for the next day or two.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
BTW, some cheap and effective ice packs can be easily made by combining isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol) and water in a 1:1 ratio in a zip-lock, water tight plastic baggie and storing it in your freezer. The combined liquids have a low freezing point and will not freeze hard in most freezers, so will contour easily to hips, legs, elbows, etc. I usually double up with two bags to keep any leaks from causing a problem. Also, when using this or any ice pack, be sure to use a protective layer to keep your skin from becoming damaged from the excessive cold. I like using a piece of cotton flannel fabric, but cotton gauze or any thin fabric layer will work well.

I was told by a friend of mine the same thing and I made several up and they sure help. I didn't quite make it a 1 to 1 ratio rather a 70/30 or 60/40 water to alcohol and mine tended to free, but they broke up easy hitting them with my cane. Make 2-3 because if you are doing ice on then ice off they won't freeze enough for the 2nd application, but with 2-3 packs they will.

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on this one decepticon. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this one. I have had to resort to the cold packs & absorbine jr. on more than one occasion. Can't say I've been all that easy on this body so far & it's starting to let me know. Although I've never considered a cold water soak it sounds like the trick for the forearms, feet, & elbows. As far as my last round of grappling goes I would say my pride recieved the biggest bruising. But if its keeping me ready for when it hits the fan at work, & I can help keep a kid out of trouble by training with him I'll take a few licks.
BTW saw that you were on the LE threads. Great to see so many brothers and sisters of the thin blue line on MT.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My defaul has always been a big bag of peas from the freezer section. The alcohol solution sounds good though thanks for the tip.

Latest Discussions