RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, that seems to often be the case.

But:
"Martial arts schools are hierarchal, indoctrination-like social systems."

This isn't true of all schools!

Actually it is. It just isn't as formal in some schools.

There is a pecking order, there is required knowledge of rituals and drills/techniques, there is the social 'rites' that mark your progress to the inner circle.

In every school there is the 'head instructor' that dolls out instructions to lower ranking instructors that send it down to lowers and students and peons.

Some arts are very formal: Like Trad Karate or TKD.

While other arts are less formal: MMA programs that base pecking order on wins/losses and not 'ranking' like belts and uniforms. Boxing schools.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that each person around whom we spend a large amount of time influences our perceptions in some way. Certainly there is a "group mentality" that is fostered in any class although all good ones promote individuality as well.

When I was a child I was actively disliked by those who raised me. Twenty years of that shaped my perception of myself into something I work daily to disbelieve. Much of my time as a child was therefore spent alone so I became acutely aware of what is going on in my inner thoughts.

My primary positive influence prior to martial arts was, believe it or not, comic books. I was drawn to those heroes who stood firmly on their principles despite great odds. When many children from bad homes turn to drugs and crime, I instead was sustained by the belief that I could be more if I only persevered and held to honorable actions.

Thus, when I had the opportunity to learn martial arts at the age of 15 I found a "society" that encouraged the same beliefs. My sensei was an adult example of the person I was trying to become. Therefore, his class suited me well.

He had told me upon one occasion that I was the best student he'd ever had. Was that because I was already like him, because I fit well within his own system, or did I have something intrinsic that made me predispositioned for martial arts (at least as he perceived it)?

So, after about 10 years in his system I relocated for grad school and (with no local schools in my style) began a new style. This instructor has amazing techniques but his approach to the philosophy of martial arts is much different. He takes a "get them before they get you" approach that is has little problem with an aggression and pain.

I did not agree with his philosophy (and still don't) but his techniques were so impressive that I stayed at the school. He welcomed me in and in short time I was a steadfast member of the class.

I have been well respected there throughout my 12 years of training with him. I have never waivered on my personal philosophy nor approach to martial arts. Some students in the class have had views similar to mine, many closer to his. I have seen many students come and go in both systems. I hold one of the highest ranks in the second style and am still viewed as a welcome addition to its roster.

My second sensei told me on a few occasions that I am one of the finest students he has trained in 40 years and hopes that I will continue a school for him, maybe even be the representative for the entire organization, after his passing. Giving myself the benefit of the doubt based on his words, it seems to me that one can indeed rise high and succeed in a group even if that person's philosophy is quite different from the majority and its leader.

I think that martial arts is different than most other closed organizations because of the powerful tenets of individuality and respect upon which the Art is built. The military rewards those who follow orders the best and achieve the results of the entire collective. Sports like football are the same. If you can't adapt to the collective's mentality then you don't belong and don't succeed.

But the Art is by its very nature created to reward those who set and achieve their own goals guided by the structure of the group. Therefore, I believe that one can succeed in any martial arts organization and "fit it" as long as the individuals within that group respect each other as they should.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i used to get "tortured" and sometimes beaten up by my master in country X.. but now if I am to teach in the US i cannot touch no body.. in fact i will probably get sued if i make someone do an extra 10 push-ups!
my master didnt take money, so he only taught those who are serious.. but here you have to pay rent for the studio so you better accept 'any' student!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I instruct anyone in anything, I generally use the same methods but use my own style of teaching because it's what I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable in being me. Thus I will teach/tutor/instruct in what I know but do it with my own brand of imparting information.
I dunno if I'm a type A personality or what but it would seem logical that a type B personality would be more likely to assume the characteristics of their (long-time) instructor while a type A may do what I do and use the same methods (because ...if they're smart... they see that they work) or principals with their chosen art.

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think I'm like my instructor, and he gave me my black belt! I don't teach others the same way, and he's alot more strict than I am. Don't get me wrong, he was cool. His strictness was sometimes what drove me into stuff I thought I couldn't do (like beating up a 3rd degree at a tourny the first day after I got my 1st dan. I was scared to death till I heard my instructor yell at me. Gives you somewhat of an adrenaline rush). But anyway, our personalities and the way we run things is somewhat different, and he never did try to weed me out.

Becky

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I'm nothing like my instructor. He's a 2 fisted beer drinker, I hardly touch the stuff. He chain smokes while teaching, I wear a gasmask when on his floor.

I do however know others who are much like their instructor.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have about 10 instructors, mostly part time, at our school. All of us have trained with Sensei since the beginning of our respective martial arts careers. The age range is 21-50; male, female; single, married, divorced; some have kids, some don't; white collar professionals, laborers, technicians, artists; Jews, Christians, pagans. Shodan to Godan.

We are alike in our perseverance and dedication to the art, and we're all good friends, but similar personalities? Heck no!

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jelik said:
There is an interesting philosophy / quote that goes something like: "Show me who you spend your time with now, and i will show you your future"
yep.

Latest Discussions