The company you keep

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instructor-Student Commonalities in the Martial Arts: Leadership Traits and Similarities

An interesting study about the teacher/student relationship in the martial arts and "leadership".

In a rigid social hierarchy, like martial arts, it would make sense that people would become more similar as a function of time, because everyone’s situational experience is relatively the same within the dojo. However, this hypothesis is not supported by Sylvia and Pindur (1978). Their findings suggest state that socialization takes place early and is independent of time and rank.

Martial arts schools are hierarchal, indoctrination-like social systems. Because of their rigidity, participants share the same experiences. Also, during this same time, modeling of super-ordinate positions occurs. These in-class experiences and modeling yield similar personalities among members. These similar personalities contain leadership qualities, such as a high need for cognition, strong locus of control, and strong motivation. Due to the subjective and reflexive nature of evaluation, those who have leadership qualities most similar to their instructors will be promoted to the next rank. Those who lack leadership qualities similar to their instructor will not be promoted. Not being promoted has nothing to do with being liked by the instructor, but not being qualified by displaying the attitude of one who is to be promoted to a higher rank. Or, because of this lack of attitude similarity as perceived by the student, there are differences in values that cause him or her to withdraw from classes. Hence, time "weeds out" those who are dissimilar from their instructor.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So for those instructors out there. Do you see a strong similarity between your instructor and yourself?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if the instructor is an *******. Is it safe to assume that his senior students are *******s too?

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
So if the instructor is an *******. Is it safe to assume that his senior students are *******s too?
Unfortunately, I have noticed this to be true. I have not yet seen a really bad instructor (bad being defined as any one of or all of - immaturity, temper, ego, lack of knowledge, misrepresentation and a plethora of other characteristics) retain quality people under his/her tutelage.

Like minds seem to find eachother and reinforce good, or bad, behaviour.

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:

oh no. can it be true? of course. is it true all the time? absolutely not. it's up to student to determine what he learns from his instructor, and it certainly doesn't have to be personality.

i could mention some names that prove my theory correct, especially in the kenpo world, but i'll refrain.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would also have to guess that senior students that turn into instructors are intended (in some way) to be "representative" of the art/school by the person who promoted them. There seems to be a connection there somewhere.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From my own experience, I would have to agree with the study in general. To Sapper's point, I'd say yes, there would be exceptions to the rule, but there always is. By and large, I think it's accurate.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There HAS to be some similarity to cult behavior within all this too IMO.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's an interesting tangent from this topic with some relevance.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/sanity.htm

In the Continuum section we said: Or, someone who has bought into the dysfunctional person's world view. One must take pause and consider the significance of this concept. Why? Well, putting it into totally unscientific terms: A major motivation of dysfunctional person is to get you to buy into/support their reality.

Until you realize this you won't realize how persistent a dysfunctional person can be in achieving this goal. And that means you will be vulnerable to being manipulated. A dysfunctional people can be like the Pied Piper. They can lead you down a path where their particular distortion of reality becomes not only acceptable, but normal. This is to say, through constant pressure you gradually come to accept the behavior as the way things are. In more extreme cases, you can end up replacing your "reality" with theirs and changing your standards of acceptable behavior .

There are all kinds of different reasons for this. If you believe the same thing, they aren't crazy. If you believe them, then they have influence over you. If they can make you miserable too, then it isn't their fault that they are miserable. If they can tear you down, they can build themselves up. If you enable their behavior, they have carte blanche for it. If you believe the same thing it means they are "right." If you accept that you have to put up with them acting that way, it is okay for them to act out. If you blow up at them, it proves that they are victims of a horrible world. If you do this, they are justified to do that. If they can control you, you can't hurt them, etc., etc., etc.. The list of possible motivations to get you to buy into their reality is endless. And the probability that there are several of these motives going on at once, really mucks up trying to get a clear idea of what is going on. But the long and short of it is they want you to play their game.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO the ultimate point is to be VERY AWARE of the type of persons that you associate with. If your instructor is a decent person (at least under his MA instructor hat) and a good and honorable role model, this phenomena could be a good thing.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes students will, indeed, become more like their teachers, and sometimes they might actually be motivated to become different. There's simply no guarantee how one might turn out, regardless of how well you know someone.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to give a bit of history, that can show this.

Many of the folks here remember the name of Hanshi Robert A. Trias. He was a man of good character, and given his successes in the martial arts, and founding the Shuri-Ryu (aka Shorei-Ryu) style, he was certainly had to be doing the right things.

Trias had a very promising student by the name of John Keehan, who seemed like a normal guy, if I am not mistaken. Keehan had been a pillar in the USKA, and had produced a good number of black belts as well.

Then one day, Keehan decided to do something rather, shall we say, unorthodox, changing his name to Juan Raphael Dante (aka "Count Dante"), advertising in comic books as "The World's Deadliest Man" (or something like that), and causing a lot of trouble with other dojos. I won't bore you with the further details of this sad tale, since it's probably already well-documented in several places. Simply put, when I look at the multitude of excellent yudansha that Trias produced, I wouldn't normally expect there to be someone of this nature amongst that crowd.

The above example just shows, that even some of the best teachers can produce a bad apple.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
So for those instructors out there. Do you see a strong similarity between your instructor and yourself?
Too some extent, but not always. Sometimes you get students that are... well... nuts. Usually they leave on there own, but sometimes need to be pointed to the door.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Well, that seems to often be the case.

But:
"Martial arts schools are hierarchal, indoctrination-like social systems."

This isn't true of all schools!

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:

Maybe . . .

It depends . . .

If a person is looking for followers then maybe a certain typew of person will stick around.

If a person is looking for serious students then maybe a totally different type of person will stick around.

Yet, just because a student or the instructor are *Fill in the Blank*, this does not mean that the other is automatically.

Is it possible? Yes it is.

I am similiar to my instructor in Balintawak. We both are Engineers. Yet, no one else I know of is an Engineer who studies with him. He is unassuming, and quiet, and not looking for the spot light. Yet this does not mean that all of his students are the same. The same of Anciong Bacon, some of his students liked to create templates, and yet Anciong did not. A difference in teaching methods, other of his students liked to see "Blood", while he would not mind seeing blood if the situation called for it, but not just because people were training.

Just because the train together does not mean they are the same. The personalities in the club I train in Flint, I am very unique as are many of the others. Some have Military service, others do not. Some have been or are Police some are not. Some are Mechanics, some were line workers, and some are other professions.

Now, if the person is an *Fill in the Blank*, and you stay, there must be a reason why, either you are similiar or you find value in the training, or your patience is very good and/or there is no other place to train.

Just my experience.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is the right reason for the phenomenon...those who disagree tend ti leave; those with simialr ideas tend to stay.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Well, that seems to often be the case.

But:
"Martial arts schools are hierarchal, indoctrination-like social systems."

This isn't true of all schools!

It is of those that attended by students that want that ;)

Some people need a pecking order, makes them feel big to have people under them. They end up instructors eventually and end up with students that need a pecking order. So it's right back to the question ;)