The coming world food shortage

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Pope told the world leaders that millions of people at threat in countries with security concerns were looking to them for solutions.

Ban said a U.N. task force he set up to deal with the crisis is recommending the nations "improve vulnerable people's access to food and take immediate steps to increase food availability in their communities."

That means increasing food aid, supplying small farmers with seed and fertilizer in time for this year's planting seasons, and reducing trade restrictions to help the free flow of agricultural goods.
FULL ARTICLE

Biofuels are mentioned in the article and I also received a new alert that production of the Hummer series may be terminated (pun intended).

Thoughts?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This brings up things like NAFTA destroying Mexican agriculture
and our desire to keep another country down, while reaping the benefits from a derelict agreement.

In India, there's a shortage of rice production because of the relatively high cost of producing rice (buying fertilizer, land, etc) and the spreading American concept that you can buy everything in stores-- these rice farmers are buying their rice from grocery stores! Isn't that a major break in humanity's food chain?

American set a precedent for passing the buck. Poorer countries are going the same route, relying on consumer products, rather than the sweat of their backs.

As far as biofuels go, I'd rather see some poor kid eat a bowl of rice every day for a month than see the same resources wasted as fuel in my gas tank for one day. There has to be another way. Wasting our land/food resources to make us comfortable in our automobiles is not the way. It's shooting ourselves in the foot.

Are biofuels a sad, but effective way at propaganda?

"Yet, even if all corn grown in the US was used for fuel, it would only offset 15% of the country's gasoline use, according to the study. The same reduction could be achieved by a 3.5-mile-per-gallon increase in fuel efficiency standards for all cars and light trucks, according a federal figures cited in the report."

-NewScientistEnvironment

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
The price of rice has increased throughout Asia. Even here in Australia, where rice is not the staple, we have noticed a marked increase in price. Take the situation in India, combine it with the situation in Indonesia where entire villages have gone over to producing palm oil for biofuel production, and you can see why rice prices might be going up.

If primary producers are convinced that they don't have to produce there is no doubt that it is going to cause a problem somewhere along the line. It can only lead to a disaster of biblical proportions.

Of course the root cause of all this is rampant overpopulation, but the solution to that is either truly barbaric or long and slow.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The coming world food shortage is all but guaranteed. There are too many people who need(or want) too much stuff just to live comfortable these days. The current "order" is unsustainable and little by little we are watching it fall apart whether that be increased gas prices, increased rice prices, urban sprawl, overcrowding, excess crime, excess pollution, or increased frequency and devastation of natural disasters. The economy is going to eventually go down the tube if it already hasn't and the wars are going to increase due to competition for dwindling supplies. At least we will have the honor of being along for the ride.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The coming world food shortage? Interesting why this is suddenly a news item don't you think? Perhaps I'm just dim but I would imagine that this would not be a sudden surprise event if it were really happening?

It is a falsehood, plain and simple. America alone could produce enough food for all the population of Earth. Amount has never been a problem - distribution has because of the insistence on allowing the Holy God of Market Forces to control things. An insanity I've never been able to accept when it comes to essentials of life.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Food shortage, my behind. Never forget that everyone you meet is made of meat. It may not be kosher, but it'll get the job done. :p

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Mexico they are digging up agave fields to plant corn for ethanol. What does this mean? More expensive Tequila!

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Amount has never been a problem - distribution has...

...because all of the food is going into the mouths of fat Americans over here :lfao:. Sorry, I was just thinking of a skit on Family Guy when John Goodman is eating all of the food while his wife and kids are starving and when one of them tries to get some food, he stabs them in the hand with his fork. America is John Goodman and the rest of the world is his starving family members sitting at the table desperately wanting and needing food while he is stuffing his face and threatening anybody who would dare try to get some food. Whoa...suddenly that joke isn't so funny...

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"if the 3rd world would grow thier own food, thier people wouldnt be hungry, here's a tip, you live in a DESERT, nothing grows there but SAND, why dont you move to where the FOOD is.......dont send them money, send them U-Hauls......"

-Sam Kinnison

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
).

Thoughts?

Seriously?

I've thought of this for my entire life. The Hopi elders have been telling us that this time would come-heck, back in '96 they told us it was here. Their advice? In a nutshell:

Know where your water comes from;know where your food comes from;live simply.

Gotta well, gotta garden and livestock, got bees, got seven years of food put up. Gonna sit on the porch with our shotguns and watch the fireworks....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seriously?

I've thought of this for my entire life. The Hopi elders have been telling us that this time would come-heck, back in '96 they told us it was here. Their advice? In a nutshell:

Gotta well, gotta garden and livestock, got bees, got seven years of food put up. Gonna sit on the porch with our shotguns and watch the fireworks....

My, my, my you are ready. Though we are not to far behind.
icon6.gif
Always be prepared.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that we can't eat humans because we are "unfit for human consumption". We have so many poisons in our bodies from pollution and drugs that we can't be eaten lol!

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently heard about an upcoming crisis with bananas. I'll see if I can look it up. Some blight was aggressively attacking bananas a few years ago and completely wiped out some species of bananas, including the ones that were commonly eaten by humans. The species we currently eat was immune, which is why its used today! Apparently that blight is back in a mutated form, and no bananas are immune. Could be interesting in a few years!

Here is a link discussing it.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seriously?

Whoa! A Hopi reference, nice :ultracool! We should be on the lookout for Saquasohuh Kachina, if it hasn't already made its appearance.

Latest Discussions