The Cane

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have been in a cane so much, and likely will be on one again in the future, I am beginning to believe I should learn Hapkido Cane or Combat Cane or some sort of cane SD.

However there are no teachers anywhere near me these days. Use to be a good Hapkido guy near me who know it, but he sold his school and I think he retired. And now the school is not even there anymore.

Anyone have any ideas or know of anyone in "Real" upstate NY that might know this stuff

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
If no luck finding that, how about FMA?
Short stick would cross over to cane quite easily I would think.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have done some cane training with a CaneMaster Instructor who was also a 3rd degree in Hapkido. He was really big into cane work. Most was very similar to the lower level pekiti-tirsia training I already had. There was very little I gained specific to cane only.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If no luck finding that, how about FMA?
Short stick would cross over to cane quite easily I would think.

Sadly. there is only 1 FMA guy, and he is not very responsive to questions, took me a month of e-mails and phone calls once to get a response from him. And his FMA class times and location absolutely do not jive with my schedule.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have done some cane training with a CaneMaster Instructor who was also a 3rd degree in Hapkido. He was really big into cane work. Most was very similar to the lower level pekiti-tirsia training I already had. There was very little I gained specific to cane only.

Saw Cane masters on the web, none of those folks are near me either.

And since I can't walk without a cane yet, I have time to look

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a bataireacht teacher upstate somewhere when i was looking for one, a few years back. Not sure if they're still there or not, but may be worth looking into. I think it was from the doyle clan.

Quick google search didnt come up with anything in your area now, but you may have better luck than me

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember seeing a bataireacht teacher upstate somewhere when i was looking for one, a few years back. Not sure if they're still there or not, but may be worth looking into. I think it was from the doyle clan.

Quick google search didnt come up with anything in your area now, but you may have better luck than me
* the lineage was doyle. Dont think the instructor actually shared that last name

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Upstate NY covers quite an area. Could you be a bit more concise as to your area?

Actually "Real" Upstate is the Adirondacks...and that is only about 10,000 square miles....its not that fake upstate that the NYC folk talk about when they refer to Westchester county so you see...not so big :D

Much MUCH closer to Albany than NYC

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually "Real" Upstate is the Adirondacks...and that is only about 10,000 square miles....its not that fake upstate that the NYC folk talk about when they refer to Westchester county so you see...not so big :D

Much MUCH closer to Albany than NYC
Utica too far?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Utica too far?

that is about 1 hour 45 minutes away. and with my schedule, when my knee starts working, that is to far.

If I find someone I find someone, I got time, can't do much about it now anyways, still can't walk far without the cane. And I was messing with the cane this evening, without stepping, and applying the taiji jian and dao stuff I know and the little bit of Long Fist Dao and xingyi short staff I remember.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve turned out a couple of nice hickory hiking staves. White crane staff technique works really really well with it, even with the shortened staff.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have also recently begun using a cane. In my case there is so much pain in my lower back that with or without the cane my ability to move is very limited. I can start a move and cannot complete it due to the sudden intense pain. The cane for SD is therefore limited in my case. If there is no Hapkido where you are there is not likely to be any Guk Sool Won either, but you might look just in case.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you know how to get power into a punch, you know how to get power into a cane.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fencing?

Actually I will add to this because I have fought guys using an extendable bat. And the most effective method is holding one end and hitting with the other.

Which seems painfully bloody obvious until you do a self defence stick course in which you generally learn everything but that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have also recently begun using a cane. In my case there is so much pain in my lower back that with or without the cane my ability to move is very limited. I can start a move and cannot complete it due to the sudden intense pain. The cane for SD is therefore limited in my case. If there is no Hapkido where you are there is not likely to be any Guk Sool Won either, but you might look just in case.
Sometimes also spelled Kuk Sool Won.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fencing?

Actually I will add to this because I have fought guys using an extendable bat. And the most effective method is holding one end and hitting with the other.

Which seems painfully bloody obvious until you do a self defence stick course in which you generally learn everything but that.
I have long suspected that's because hitting with the other end is pretty simple, and folks feel like it doesn't need training. I don't agree, but I suspect that's why a lot of SD folks don't spend enough time on it.

D

Deleted member 39746

Can you find a bartitsu school? they use Vigny cane. Or any savte places, they sometimes have Canne de combat, i forgot its french name, but the cane fencing with them.

Or worst comes to worst, try and find bat sport, if you ever need to use the cane just use it like a bat out of one of those sports.

Or i found this a while ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KPMFDF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_sXO3AbGKTKF4H Cant say if its any good or not but its less than £5. But its only in Ebook form.

And FMA seems good some bartitsu people pointed me to learning it for a basics to adapt into cane work. (pending style of course)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Can you find a bartitsu school? they use Vigny cane. Or any savte places, they sometimes have Canne de combat, i forgot its french name, but the cane fencing with them.

Or worst comes to worst, try and find bat sport, if you ever need to use the cane just use it like a bat out of one of those sports.

Or i found this a while ago: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079KPMFDF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_sXO3AbGKTKF4H Cant say if its any good or not but its less than £5. But its only in Ebook form.

And FMA seems good some bartitsu people pointed me to learning it for a basics to adapt into cane work. (pending style of course)

Have never seen a bartitsu school in the US. I'm not saying there are none here, it is just I have never seen one

D

Deleted member 39746

Have never seen a bartitsu school in the US. I'm not saying there are none here, it is just I have never seen one

They are rare, and the website i used for resources i think shut down or is being revamped. I think there is one or two people in the U.S, one or two in the U.K and one or two in Germany, or some people travel to Germany to teach it.

Namely why they gave advice on which styles would give you the best base to interpret bartitsu from. Dont get lulled in though, some people just use it as a buzzword term to attract people but its not actually bartitsu. Like they will call their cane fighting or choreography bartitsu. But it is just fundamentally, Japanese wrestling (not too sure if it was Jujitsu or judo now i think back,probably former this is before judo i think) Savate, British boxing and Vigney cane.

Actually, if you have any sort of stick work backing i think the bartitsu compendium might have some vigney cane techniques or something in it. Cant say for sure though i have yet to buy them, link to the first volume on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Bartitsu-Com...00262QZHW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I think one is more history the other is more technique. So you could probably try and adapt something from it.

Latest Discussions