Originally Posted at: FMATalk

====================

Everybody Is 'Cane Fu' Fighting
At Senior Centers, So Watch Out

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Older People Get Healthful Exercise
And Learn to Wield a Ready Weapon
[/FONT]

Quote:
The St. Leonard retirement village here has a whole new way of thinking about recreation: Bingo has made way for cane fighting.

"Down on top of the head and up between the groin!" urges instructor Debra Stewart, of nearby Chung's Academy of Martial Arts, commanding a dozen gray-haired students swinging canes at imaginary attackers. "Stomp him! Dig it in there. Do it hard!"
Quote:
Many credit the rise of cane fighting to Mark Shuey, a 61-year-old tae kwon do and hapkido expert who owns Cane Masters. Mr. Shuey started studying cane moves in earnest about 10 years ago while practicing hapkido, which incorporates stick fighting at advanced levels. At the time, his father was starting to use a walking stick, and he had heard reports of attacks on seniors who carried canes but didn't know how to use them to fight back. By 2003, the Canadian magazine Martial Arts Experts was calling canes "the weapon you can take anywhere." Cane fighting, also called "combat" cane or "cane fu," has been endorsed by at least eight martial-arts organizations.
Quote:
The cane has a rich history as a weapon, notably in the U.S. Capitol. A number of 19th-century canings at the Capitol included a brutal 1856 attack on the Senate floor by South Carolina Rep. Preston Brooks on abolitionist Massachusetts Sen. Charles Sumner, who had mocked a relative of Mr. Brooks in a speech. Mr. Sumner was carried away unconscious and bleeding. It took him years to recover.

Read More...

------------------------------------
FMATalk.com Post Bot - FMA Feed

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I may give Mark Shuey credit for promoting cane fighting and some cane techniques I would like to restate that many, many martial arts have done cane techniques for many years. Plus that many of the techniques I have seen demonstrated by supposedly cane masters have been flashy and not practical for actual use.

By 2003, the Canadian magazine Martial Arts Experts was calling canes "the weapon you can take anywhere."

I thought that most of always knew the cane was one weapon we could carry any time

I am happy more seniors are learning to defend themselves but I would hardly give most of the credit to Mr. Shuey

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I absolutely agree about the lengthy history of the cane, or la canne as the savateurs call it! I will say however that I enjoyed the article, though I wish that they would have taken a more critical look at how effective th cane can be for people that old and, in many cases, infirm.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Working with many senior citizens every day has made me more aware of how frail most of them are and how little many of then are actually able to do with any strength and quickness. Not saying by any means that I do not think they should learn, just that many are not able to really do much to defend themselves. The cane still takes coordination and knowledge to use and without constant practice it might or might not work in defense if you are extremely weak in the arms

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, that's my concern. The article had a brief line that someone who truly needed a cane to stand would of course be unable to use it fully in defense, but I think there's much more than that. One video demo at the link showed a woman doing a numerada-style pattern of strikes. They were much too slow to be effective. I would like to see a serious review of successes--the article cites one--and failures of this training.

But it also talks about how this is good exercise and the seniors really enjoy it! As long as they use cane strikes only as a truly last resort when giving up the wallet doesn't work, that's fine.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that anything is usually good exercise if nothing else is a good reason for them to at least try to learn

I would like to see a serious review of successes--the article cites one--and failures of this training.
That would be an interesting thing to see if done by someone not connected with training them

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with both of you about Mark Shuey, but he did bring it to the forefront for alot of people. Actually I would like to see some type of statistic on the use of the crane in S.D. type of real stituation.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I absolutely agree about the lengthy history of the cane, or la canne as the savateurs call it! I will say however that I enjoyed the article, though I wish that they would have taken a more critical look at how effective th cane can be for people that old and, in many cases, infirm.
Yes, there are many good, authentic, historically based manuals and systems using the cane. Good point about infirmity perhaps hindering use.

tshadowchaser said:
Working with many senior citizens every day has made me more aware of how frail most of them are and how little many of then are actually able to do with any strength and quickness. Not saying by any means that I do not think they should learn, just that many are not able to really do much to defend themselves. The cane still takes coordination and knowledge to use and without constant practice it might or might not work in defense if you are extremely weak in the arms
Exactly! Have been thinking about this for while now, since we have a new senior center in town and people who could use both exercise and SD. Have begun to think that it might best be done as a mostly strengthening and mobility program until sufficient arm/leg strength and range of motion could be built up (if possible at all in some cases). In other words, maybe a realistic 'prequalification' for who should be taught SD, if we're going to be responsible about it.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
good idea to pre qualify those that might study

teaching or helping at a senior center is alway a benifit to the community and it gets your name out there also

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was just an article about this in one of our local papers recently. Its seems to be currently growing in popularity. A couple of the seniors attending the classes claimed to have used what they learned in self defense. One student now walks with a cane even though he doesn't need one, just for use in self defense if necessary.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was just an article about this in one of our local papers recently. Its seems to be currently growing in popularity. A couple of the seniors attending the classes claimed to have used what they learned in self defense. One student now walks with a cane even though he doesn't need one, just for use in self defense if necessary.

Cool!
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With all the security measures after 9/11 I can no longer carry my firearm or even my Kubota when I travel..So I carry a cane..

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With all the security measures after 9/11 I can no longer carry my firearm or even my Kubota when I travel..So I carry a cane..

Excellent!

The cane is an incredibly effective tool. It is good that you are carrying one around. Plus the best part is you can take it anywhere.
icon14.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent!

The cane is an incredibly effective tool. It is good that you are carrying one around. Plus the best part is you can take it anywhere.
icon14.gif

Yep, I'll bring 2 to the Meet and Greet..You can try them out...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for incredible cane work then please check out the Bujinkan and Budo Taijutsu. The Hanbo is a three foot tool that like a cane is simply effective. Budo Taijutsu training is loaded with strikes, locks, takedowns, throws, etc. and the cane/hanbo is used and fits in usage with everything. If you like cane training then you need to check it out.
icon6.gif
(I know it opened my eyes)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The earlier book on stick fighting by Mr. Hatsumi is very good! I also have the advanced one which is fine but really prefer the older one.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
For anyone looking for incredible cane work then please check out the Bujinkan and Budo Taijutsu. The Hanbo is a three foot tool that like a cane is simply effective. Budo Taijutsu training is loaded with strikes, locks, takedowns, throws, etc. and the cane/hanbo is used and fits in usage with everything. If you like cane training then you need to check it out.
icon6.gif
(I know it opened my eyes)
Is that what is shown here?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that what is shown here?
No. Chosonninja is not affiliated in anyway with the Bujinkan and his techniques don't even have the feel of Budo Taijutsu, from what I've seen.

Here are a couple of quickly located links regarding Bujinkan hanbo/cane techniques. I didn't watch all of them, so no guarantees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDMILJ2bt24&feature=related
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/353428/bujinkan_israel_sticks_hanbo_blue_cliff_dojo_ofer_2006/
http://www.rkebudo.com/pictures/HanboTraining/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Chosonninja is not affiliated in anyway with the Bujinkan and his techniques don't even have the feel of Budo Taijutsu, from what I've seen.

Here are a couple of quickly located links regarding Bujinkan hanbo/cane techniques. I didn't watch all of them, so no guarantees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDMILJ2bt24&feature=related
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/353428/bujinkan_israel_sticks_hanbo_blue_cliff_dojo_ofer_2006/
http://www.rkebudo.com/pictures/HanboTraining/index.htm
OK thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: