The Book I Cannot Buy...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am on a quest. I saw a book some time ago that I decided I wanted to purchase, and I've been trying - without success - to purchase it now for several months. Along the way, I think I'm actually starting to believe in conspiracy theories!

Here's the situation. I am currently learning the Isshin-Ryu Kusanku kata. I read about a book by Javier Martinez called "Isshinryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed," and I decided I wanted to buy it. However, it's been out of print for some time now, and it has become somewhat of a collector's item, I presume. I often see it advertised for upwards of several hundred dollars, which is way to expensive for me.

However, I also often see it listed in various places for just a few dollars, as one often would for used paperback books.

So, I purchased a used inexpensive copy on eBay with Buy-it-Now. The seller was a 'Goodwill' store. I paid and waited.

A few days later, they canceled the sale and refunded my money. No explanation was given.

OK, so strangely enough, I noticed they immediately relisted it. I thought perhaps there had been some weird problem on their end; I bought and paid for it again.

A few days later, they cancelled the sale again. This time, they said it was because upon examination, pages were coming out of it. OK, that's a good reason, I guess. I sent them a message and asked them why they kept listing it for sale if they didn't plan on actually selling it; but they did not reply. They also have not relisted it.

A few days after that, I saw another copy listed from another eBay seller, an independent thrift store in Washington, DC. I immediately did a BIN and paid in full.

A few days after that, the sale was canceled. No explanation was given. I emailed the seller, but they refused to respond to my messages.

I then saw a used copy on Amazon. I bought it.

A few days later, the sale was cancelled. Again, no explanation.

Then I saw another copy on Amazon. I bought it.

This time, weeks went by. Eventually, I emailed them and asked when I might get the book. They responded that upon examination, it had markings on some of the pages. I said that I didn't care, send it anyway. They refunded my money instead.

Then I bought another copy on Amazon. This time from a 'reputable' book dealer who had thousands upon thousands of positive feedbacks. Weeks went by. They I emailed them. They said they sent it via Media Mail, and it would take another few weeks, but they had sent it. It has now been three months. I contacted Amazon, and they contacted the seller, who a day later refunded my money. No explanation given as to why they said they had sent it when they had not.

Then I bought another copy on eBay. This time from a company I have done business with before, a company I have never had trouble with. It has been two weeks, they claimed they sent it. I have not received it.

At this point, I'm on a freaking quest! I am obstinate that way. I want this book. I don't care if I'm well past Kusanku by the time I get it and it just goes on the shelf, I want this book! And I'm not a) paying through the nose for it or b) going to give up.

But what I absolutely fail to understand is WHY I can't seem to buy a copy of this book! I mean, I can BUY it, I've BOUGHT it nearly 10 times since December 2010! What I can't seem to do is get my hands on it!

Does the universe just not want me to have this book?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hidden away somewhere in the mountains of Nevada, Elvis, JFK, space aliens and Bigfoot are playing poker. On the bookshelf behind them are 25 copies of this book.......

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sadly, most of those 'sellers' are not actual sellers, but listers of books that others sell. And those sellers are people I have 'purchased' the book from, only to have my money refunded either immediately or after complaining about not getting the book.

So, no. Been there, done that.

However, you did give me several new leads I had not seen yet. I will explore further. So thanks for that!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sadly, most of those 'sellers' are not actual sellers, but listers of books that others sell. And those sellers are people I have 'purchased' the book from, only to have my money refunded either immediately or after complaining about not getting the book.

However, you did give me several new leads I had not seen yet. I will explore further. So thanks for that!

Correction - one of the two which I had previously not explored lets me purchase the book; but they will not let me order it; when I try, it informs me that 'this book is not available for purchase'.

See? The universe bloody well does not want me to have this book.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Correction - one of the two which I had previously not explored lets me purchase the book; but they will not let me order it; when I try, it informs me that 'this book is not available for purchase'.

See? The universe bloody well does not want me to have this book.

And the other will not tell me the shipping cost until after I enter my credit card information. Ah, no.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

So basically you have tried it all...except the bits you didn't try before :D

Maybe here :idunno:

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like if you're wanting that badly, get one of them on the phone, find out if they have the physical item in hand & then...

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bangahead::apv::pirate:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So basically you have tried it all...except the bits you didn't try before :D

No, I mean those sellers listed on several of the sites you posted links to are the SAME sellers that list the same book on Amazon. They still list it there - I just can't buy it.

Maybe here :idunno:

Yeah, I'm going to pass on that one, thanks. I'd really rather not break the law.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like if you're wanting that badly, get one of them on the phone, find out if they have the physical item in hand & then...

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bangahead::apv::pirate:

Just FYI, you can't 'get on the phone' with most of these "Associate" Amazon book sellers. They don't have a physical presence.

I'm beginning to think they all sell their books off of some master list that everyone uses; then sell on Amazon and eBay and then when the order is placed, they just pass it on to the holder of the master list for fulfillment - downstream from the downstream, so to speak. And when the book doesn't actually exist - they just refund and move on. Which might explain why I keep getting the SAME response for this book from so many sellers, including some I've purchased from before!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
No, I mean those sellers listed on several of the sites you posted links to are the SAME sellers that list the same book on Amazon. They still list it there - I just can't buy it.

Oh now your changing your story :D

Got it.

Yeah, I'm going to pass on that one, thanks. I'd really rather not break the law.

Sissy :D

I did not realize it was breaking the law.

Can you locate Javier Martinez, frankly I know nothing about him so I apologize if that against the law or otherwise impossible to do

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps, the secrect to Kunsaku Kata is...that once you get the book, you've mastered the kata??

Or maybe not...I dunno.

That is certianly one of the weiorder stories I've heard. Good luck on your quest. :)

Peace,
Erik

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you considered the fact that maybe they just won't sell the book to you only?
Try an asumed name....or maybe get a friend or relative (different last name of course) to buy it for you.
I would even buy it for you if I were not afraid of the book ninjas coming after me.
The road trip thing may be an option. Of course you'll need a clever disguise....some groucho glasses with the fake nose ought to do it.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you considered the fact that maybe they just won't sell the book to you only?
Try an asumed name....or maybe get a friend or relative (different last name of course) to buy it for you.
I would even buy it for you if I were not afraid of the book ninjas coming after me.
The road trip thing may be an option. Of course you'll need a clever disguise....some groucho glasses with the fake nose ought to do it.

I already wear Groucho glasses!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, but if you go with the assumed name thing I would set up a phoney bank account in another city, preferrably in another state not bordering your own.
Of course you'll need to rent an apartment(or house) to make it look legit....these book ninjas are diabolically clever.....BTW in case you are captured I have nothing to do with this

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been buying them all up so I can sell one to Bill at a "special" price.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Being serious, this is a remarkable story. Bill, dude. I don't know what you did, but it appears that someone is either pissed at you or yanking your chain hard. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, but if you go with the assumed name thing I would set up a phoney bank account in another city, preferrably in another state not bordering your own.
Of course you'll need to rent an apartment(or house) to make it look legit....these book ninjas are diabolically clever.....BTW in case you are captured I have nothing to do with this

you know I'm now wondering if there is not some history here with Javier Martinez that Bill is not telling us and Javier Martinez himself will not allow Bill to have a copy of his book

And for the record..... This post was never made