The advantages to being named "Muhammad"

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, it seems that if I change my name to "Muhammad," and someone throws away my business card, I can get them arrested on blasphemy charges!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/12/12/international/i055248S70.DTL&tsp=1

Pakistani authorities have arrested a doctor on suspicion of violating the country's contentious blasphemy law by throwing away a business card of a man who shared the name of Islam's prophet, Muhammad, police said Sunday.

Naushad Valiyani, a Muslim doctor in the southern city of Hyderabad, was arrested Friday after a complaint was lodged with police alleging his actions had insulted the Prophet Muhammad, said regional police chief Mushtaq Shah.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am sure there is a Monty Python joke in there somewhere....

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The doctor should lodge a complaint that it is blasphemous for the initial complaintent to suggest that the man handing out business cards is actually the Prophet Muhammad.

Also, I wouldn't want to be the court artist doing renderings at these proceedings! Just in case....

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This whole thought process that is behind this even happening is so alien, foreign, whatever you want to call it that I can not even comprehend how it is established.

I hate being ignorant on subjects, but I can not even begin to understand how people become like this, and how others accept it as ok...

I have to figure that it comes from a position of power over other people.. but i just dont get the dynamics that lead to a whole culture that will buy into this as being valid in anyway.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This whole thought process that is behind this even happening is so alien, foreign, whatever you want to call it that I can not even comprehend how it is established.

I hate being ignorant on subjects, but I can not even begin to understand how people become like this, and how others accept it as ok...

I have to figure that it comes from a position of power over other people.. but i just dont get the dynamics that lead to a whole culture that will buy into this as being valid in anyway.

That about covers it.