The .600 Overkill

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As do we, but are you claiming that there ya'll kill solely for meat and there is no sport or enjoyment of the hunt involved?

I like venison.....but to be honest, I'm not spending $1,500 - $2,000 a year just for 100-150 lbs of meat. And some years, I spend that without killing any.....like this year. (But I had a great time hunting a large 11 point that refused to move during the daytime)

I'm sure they appreciate that you eat them afterwards. ;) lol

Where I live we go out and shoot pheasants, wood pigeons, partridges, grouse when we need something to eat, farmers and the people around here have no interest in the fun of hunting, it's just another job that needs to be done. Enjoyable? No, it's work. You need food, you get your shotgun and shoot something, that's it.

I'm sure they don't in the least appreciate being eaten but it's what you do in the country, especially when times are bad. When we leave Europe and the grants farmers get are gone there will be more animals shot for the table. It's not easy living where we do, no arable crops grow other than the hill meadows which are cut for winter feed and the only animals that you can farm are sheep, even deer can't live up on the hills . Shooting for 'pleasure' is for the rich who have the time and money to kill because they enjoy it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, twisted logic at play here once again in that first part...

But I'll ask: are you also eating the meat, or just nailing the head or the rack onto your wall? I will assume you are hunting within compliance of your local hunting laws.

If you have a head nailed against the wall. That would mean you get more use out of the animal than eating it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where I live we go out and shoot pheasants, wood pigeons, partridges, grouse when we need something to eat, farmers and the people around here have no interest in the fun of hunting, it's just another job that needs to be done. Enjoyable? No, it's work. You need food, you get your shotgun and shoot something, that's it.

I'm sure they don't in the least appreciate being eaten but it's what you do in the country, especially when times are bad. When we leave Europe and the grants farmers get are gone there will be more animals shot for the table. It's not easy living where we do, no arable crops grow other than the hill meadows which are cut for winter feed and the only animals that you can farm are sheep, even deer can't live up on the hills . Shooting for 'pleasure' is for the rich who have the time and money to kill because they enjoy it.

Where I live animals like water buffalo are pests. If they were not shot for fun. They would have to be shot anyway. The difference is our poor farmers make money on hunting rather than spend it on culling.

If Photon Guy wanted to come here take that cannon of his and kill a few big animals environmentalists would be shaking his hand.

Saves them doing it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where I live animals like water buffalo are pests

They aren't native animals are they? I know that camels which are now wild ( wild? they're flipping furious!) were introduced to the country.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They aren't native animals are they? I know that camels which are now wild ( wild? they're flipping furious!) were introduced to the country.

Correct. Buffalo,camels,pigs,goats,deer. Are all big game hunters dream and their presence is not really wanted.

Culling these are one of the few reasons a civilian can own an Ar.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upload_2017-5-26_22-37-39.png

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's nice having a discussion about hunting and folks not getting crazy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's nice having a discussion about hunting and folks not getting crazy.

I could fix that if you want. They do it with knives and dogs over here. By the way from asking those guys I found out blood grooves don't do much.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not going to get into a discussion about hunting in this thread.

So...you post up a picture of a weapon specially made for killing large animals, with a photograph of a large dead animal knowing from past experience that many people here are anti killing for pleasure and NOW you say you won't discuss hunting?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you, bro, me either.

You wouldn't have brought it up again, knowing how that discussion goes when it is brought up as PG well knows, that's my point, to keep bringing up a subject that is decisive on here and then complain is just plain daft.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So...you post up a picture of a weapon specially made for killing large animals, with a photograph of a large dead animal knowing from past experience that many people here are anti killing for pleasure and NOW you say you won't discuss hunting?

I've hunted Whitetail deer since I was 16. I certainly do it "for pleasure" because I don't "need" to kill my own meat. I enjoy the tradition. I enjoy the time with my Father, Uncle and other hunting partners. I enjoy stories of hunts years past and memories of my Grandfathers and Uncles who I hunted with but are now gone. I like being outdoors. And I enjoy the venison. In addition, we hunters help maintain the deer population since there are few (or no) other predators of animals that size in our area.

People saying hunters do it for pleasure of killing don't understand that for many (if not most) hunters the enjoyment of hunting is not found in the killing. And since I do eat what I kill anyone who is not a vegetarian has no real moral ground to stand on when debating me on the subject.

Interesting blog post on the ethics of eating/killing here:

Eating and caring: The lines we draw | Tovar Cerulli

Last edited:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to mention that many environmental preservation programs wouldn't exist without the fees from our hunting licenses....

And

I think Tez has a very "British" view on hunting. Culturally and historically, hunting has been a very different activity in Britain vs here in the US. Hunting has been a "sport" in Britain for many years. It's not quite the same everywhere.

On hunting as "sport":

The 'sport' of hunting: Why I don’t call it that | Tovar Cerulli

I, for the record, do not think modern hunting is essentially and fundamentally anything. There are all kinds of modern hunting, done for all kinds of reasons and in all kinds of ways. I know that you (like Phillip) aren’t fond of drawing distinctions among different kinds of hunting, and are concerned by the divisive potential. But take six different people:

• a hunter who hunts 200 days a year, pursuing 15 different species in 30 states
• a hunter who hunts one week a year and puts one deer in the freezer
• a hunter who gets out in the woods for a couple days each fall but hasn’t killed an animal in 20 years
• a hunter who hunts on a different continent every month, aiming to get his or her name in the top tier of every world trophy-record book
• a hunter who chooses to live in the Alaskan bush and feeds his or her family through hunting
• a hunter who doesn’t eat wild meat but enjoys seeing prairie dogs explode at 300 yards, or likes shooting snowshoe hares over beagles and leaves the carcasses in the woods.

I think it’s silly to argue that hunting is essentially and fundamentally the same kind of activity for all of them.

For various hunters, in varying degrees, I think hunting is a way of obtaining food, a form of communion, a form of recreation, a way of engaging with the basic realities of life and death, and/or any number of other things.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And since I do eat what I kill

we aren't talking about people who eat what they kill, we are talking about people who kill for the sake of killing and having a trophy. they kill lions, tigers, elephants, giraffes etc with no intention of eating them purely for the thrill of killing .

I think Tez has a very "British" view on hunting. Culturally and historically, hunting has been a very different activity in Britain vs here in the US. Hunting has been a "sport" in Britain for many years. It's not quite the same everywhere.

I think you'll find I don't have a 'British' attitude about hunting, many people hunt for food here which if you'd read my posts you would have seen me say, only we do it in a businesslike manner, as a job to be done to put food on the table not for the pleasure of chatting with mates etc, the pubs for that. Don't mistake what rich people do up on the grouse moors with what normal people do.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
we aren't talking about people who eat what they kill, we are talking about people who kill for the sake of killing and having a trophy. they kill lions, tigers, elephants, giraffes etc with no intention of eating them purely for the thrill of killing .

But you are disparaging people who hunt when they "don't have to", or enjoy the hunt in any way, even if they do eat what they kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you are disparaging people who hunt when they "don't have to", or enjoy the hunt in any way, even if they do eat what they kill.

Do you enjoy killing? Don't you think there is something wrong with enjoying the act of ending an animals life?
I'm not 'disparaging' I'm saying it isn't right to enjoy killing, are you saying it is?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you enjoy killing? Don't you think there is something wrong with enjoying the act of ending an animals life?
I'm not 'disparaging' I'm saying it isn't right to enjoy killing, are you saying it is?

You obviously aren't reading my posts.

Latest Discussions