The .600 Overkill

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You obviously aren't reading my posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, you enjoy all the fun of being with mates etc etc then killing something. Normal people go out clubbing, to the pub, cinema whatever and enjoy themselves with their mates and family, it doesn't usually involve killing animals. Killing animals for food is fine but it shouldn't be treated as a social occasion. Death isn't fun and enjoyable.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know why I'm bothering, because you just don't get it.

I enjoy hunting even when I don't kill anything. Your equation of Hunting with killing isn't what the enjoyment of Hunting is all about.

I'd take a day in the woods over a night boozing up any day. Equating alcohol consumption with enjoyment has led to more misery than hunting ever has

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do you enjoy killing? Don't you think there is something wrong with enjoying the act of ending an animals life?
I'm not 'disparaging' I'm saying it isn't right to enjoy killing, are you saying it is?

Difficult question.

Although I do eat the meat.....I do enjoy the hunt....Love the thrill of hunting and the adrenaline of taking that trophy buck.

I love hunting and am not ashamed of that.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do men who enjoy being soldiers love the killing?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people do many things for many reasons. Most soldiers I knew did it for many different reasons...and the killing was only a small part of it. And one most took no pleasure in.

I've never felt pleased with the actual act of killing a deer. I've certainly felt pleased with the sense of accomplishment afterwards. I don't know what it's like in the U.K., but bagging a deer here is not simply walking into the woods and picking one out.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people do many things for many reasons. Most soldiers I knew did it for many different reasons...and the killing was only a small part of it. And one most took no pleasure in.

I've never felt pleased with the actual act of killing a deer. I've certainly felt pleased with the sense of accomplishment afterwards. I don't know what it's like in the U.K., but bagging a deer here is not simply walking into the woods and picking one out.

Soldiers are humans beings, with the range of emotions, motives, pleasures and hatreds just like any other human.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-6-12_18-53-44.png upload_2017-6-12_18-55-21.png upload_2017-6-12_18-56-5.png
upload_2017-6-12_18-57-2.png

why?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually if you'd read what I and a couple of others were saying this is exactly what we were talking about.

because killing for the pleasure of killing is morally reprehensible.
But at the same time you take a shot at me implying that I enjoy killing and I should go to a bar with my father instead of the woods even though I'm not a trophy Hunter....

Whatever.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
because killing for the pleasure of killing is morally reprehensible.

Ok but that is not what is going on.

Claiming trophy hunting is simply killing for the sake of killing is an oversimplification solely for argument.

It is much more complicated than that.

If the killing for pleasure is the reason why would hunters spend 10 - 100s of thousands of dollars hunting when they could just kill animals locally (stray dogs, cats, feral hogs, etc) for nothing?

Because it isn't killing for the pleasure. It's the hunt, and rush of it all.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would you feel better if African game populations were cut in half and exist solely on poorly managed govt preserves?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok but that is not what is going on.

Claiming trophy hunting is simply killing for the sake of killing is an oversimplification solely for argument.

It is much more complicated than that.

If the killing for pleasure is the reason why would hunters spend 10 - 100s of thousands of dollars hunting when they could just kill animals locally (stray dogs, cats, feral hogs, etc) for nothing?

Because it isn't killing for the pleasure. It's the hunt, and rush of it all.

Would you feel better if African game populations were cut in half and exist solely on poorly managed govt preserves?

it's always 'more complicated' than that though isn't it. It's always 'you don't understand' because managing wildlife is so much more complicated than people think because the rest of us are so stupid. It's always 'oh you people just don't understand'.

'it's the hunt' the rush of it' Yeah of course it is, because taking a photo isn't the same as killing is it, no fun in killing ordinary everyday animals, it has to be big, who wants to pose by a dog after all.

These people spend the money because it's what people like them do, spend a lot of money. What's the fun of having money unless you can show you have money? Most people can't afford to hunt big game even if they wanted to so it's a self appointed elite showing off their wealth and lack of morals at the same time.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
'it's the hunt' the rush of it' Yeah of course it is, because taking a photo isn't the same as killing is it, no fun in killing ordinary everyday animals, it has to be big, who wants to pose by a dog after all.

These people spend the money because it's what people like them do, spend a lot of money. What's the fun of having money unless you can show you have money? Most people can't afford to hunt big game even if they wanted to so it's a self appointed elite showing off their wealth and lack of morals at the same time.

Well until the non hunters get off there moral high horse and stop looking down there nose at the hunters that are paying for the habitat the animals live on and start footing the bill for these habitats it is a necessity.

Because right now it's hunters footing a large part of the bill not photographers hoping to photo animals singing Hakuna Matata.

And Lets remember who should cast the first stone before we start judging people.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well until the non hunters get off there moral high horse and stop looking down there nose at the hunters that are paying for the habitat the animals live on and start footing the bill for these habitats it is a necessity.

Because right now it's hunters footing a large part of the bill not photographers hoping to photo animals singing Hakuna Matata.

And Lets remember who should cast the first stone before we start judging people.

Really? and why would habitats need funding when they were perfectly fine before man got involved. Laughable. Non hunters aren't looking down their noses, they are disgusted at people trying to defend the indefensible. You are assuming all non hunters are some sort of hippies, so you are judging people. I'm not sure what stones you think people are throwing. I for one aren't saying we should be vegan or not eat meat, I'm saying one should not kill animals for pleasure, for the enjoyment of seeing life drain from the body of an animal. Killing for pleasure is morally reprehensible and wrong.

http://freefromharm.org/common-just...g-wildlife-population-control-ethical-eating/

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think there are a few distinctions to be drawn. There is a distinction between poaching and hunting. Illegal hunting is generally to the detriment of the local ecosystem and can result in entire species of animals becoming extinct. I think that's reprehensible. In the States, the hunters are typically on the right side of the law and are actually helping protect the ecosystem, not destroy it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Really? and why would habitats need funding when they were perfectly fine before man got involved. Laughable. Non hunters aren't looking down their noses, they are disgusted at people trying to defend the indefensible. You are assuming all non hunters are some sort of hippies, so you are judging people. I'm not sure what stones you think people are throwing. I for one aren't saying we should be vegan or not eat meat, I'm saying one should not kill animals for pleasure, for the enjoyment of seeing life drain from the body of an animal. Killing for pleasure is morally reprehensible and wrong.

Hunting for Wildlife Population Control and Ethical Eating?
I think there's room here for a reasonable middle ground. I support hunters and have absolutely no trouble with it. I also endorse raising animals ethically on farms in humane conditions. And see no conflict between the two.

You don't do yourself favors saying you aren't a hippy or a vegan, but linking to articles that are absolutely anti-hunting (any kind of hunting) on pro-vegan websites.

I also notice in the last paragraph, it draws a direct line between North American hunters who typically hunt for deer, and people in Africa who illegally poach elephant.

This is an emotional position yearning for logical rationale, and it just isn't there.

Latest Discussions