The 540 kick

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well...the fact that it is in the TKD section, and the OP stated "Do you guys see this kick as a definite part of the tkd curriculum..." is, in my mind, a pretty good setup for the topic being a TKD discussion. Just a hunch tho... :lol:

Whether this is a TKD discussion wasn't my point.
If you keep reading, the original poster writes that he gets the impression that others think the 540 is a TKD technique. The above posts show it is. But just because the question is a TKD discussion on the TKD forum, and the question is whether something is part of a TKD curriculum, doesn't answer at all what else it might be. No 540 kick in JMA or CMA? Nobody in South America, Savate, etc? I'm simply asking whether the 540 is UNIQUE to TKD, an extension of the OP. There are numerous regulars on this forum who have experience in other arts as well. I think it would be interesting if TKD is the only art with a 540, though I doubt it.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm simply asking whether the 540 is UNIQUE to TKD, an extension of the OP. There are numerous regulars on this forum who have experience in other arts as well. I think it would be interesting if TKD is the only art with a 540, though I doubt it.

One other thing that I notice, which isn't unique to Taekwondo, is that a person's "opinion" tends to follow whether or not they are able to do or obtain something or not. If for example someone cannot do a 540 or if that person doesn't know how to teach a 540, then their "opinion" tends to be, 540 is not necessary and/or is not a part of Taekwondo. I don't believe that is the proper basis for evaluating an art. The same can be said for competition, or Kukkiwon certification, or whatever else people can't do/don't understand/don't have in Taekwondo, or any other art for that matter.

OP
R

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
One other thing that I notice, which isn't unique to Taekwondo, is that a person's "opinion" tends to follow whether or not they are able to do or obtain something or not. If for example someone cannot do a 540 or if that person doesn't know how to teach a 540, then their "opinion" tends to be, 540 is not necessary and/or is not a part of Taekwondo. I don't believe that is the proper basis for evaluating an art. The same can be said for competition, or Kukkiwon certification, or whatever else people can't do/don't understand/don't have in Taekwondo, or any other art for that matter.
I cant agree with that at all. There are flashy techniques I can do and teach that I dont personally feel are necessary. A lot of it would come down to WHY someeone is doing martial arts in the first place. If someone is doing tkd with the sole intention of learning how to defend themself, for example a LEO or bouncer, than they are not going to find the 540 a necessary part of what they learn. Whereas a youngster who is into parkour, dancing, tkd etc is probably going to think a 540 is necessary to learn. One thing Ive ascertained from this thread is that most here cant do a 540 0r dont want to know how to do a 540, and I am not narrow minded enough to believe their opinions are based soley on the fact they cant do one.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The kick itself is quite easy if you have the knees for it.

What kind of flooring to you train on? That might make a difference. There is a kendo school here that trains on a hard wood floor with no give and the seniors tend to have bad knees because of that.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I think we are on the same page.

This is what I call a 720 or a 540 into a back spin or (hook) kick. You will note that the first kick is really a 360 with an extra 180 at the end and if landed would be on the same foot as the round kick. But the kicker continues an additional 180 to finish with a second kick being the back spin (hook) kick. 2 full rotations. Now to call this a 540 is cutting it short I say but in any case you won't see me doing this kick anymore. Someone would have to pick up my knees afterwards.
[yt]zMsPy6abdJo[/yt]

See how his kicks tend to end at 3:00 instead of 6:00? This is what I meant back when there was a discussion on the ending of spin hook kick.