Texas State the good the bad and the ugly

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off I have no dog in this fight just telling my side and perspective was at Texas State this past weekend.

First poomsae, weapons and specialty event went by quickly, but the problem we all saw was the scoring was terrible at best. Some of these refs. had no clue what criteia was to be used for scoring. We had head judges from school that had there players up in the same ring, most of the time a judge would simply bow out because of conflict of interst but not here.

Sparring could have started early but they held it up simply because they gave actual timeframes for people to be there, cannot complain about that but again I can complain about the official what I saw was pretty bad in a few rings, not all but a few. I was een told they had under age corners, cannot confirm that but if I was a betting man I would agree. Some of them looked pretty young and had very little attention to what was going on.

On a scale of 1-10 and one being the worst I would give it a 5, better than last year but alot of room to expand on. I know some will say it was great and no everyone was certified but lets be real how many state association have enough refs. for there tournament each year so I am sure we had some under age and not the best qualified people there. I do appreciate the effort to make this better than last year but one of my biggest grips was paying $25.00 for parking and the venue was small in my opinin. It should be held back at Loos Fieldhouse that is and will always be the best possible location for this tournament.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TKD tournaments are always like a spaghetti western "the good, the bad and the ugly".

Who are the characters?

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
It had to be a damn site better than PA states. We had a horrible experience this year...typically PATKD runs a good (not perfect...but good) tournament. This year, it seemed like everything was problematic. The tourbey started atn 9:30...by 5:00pm there were still competitiors who hadbn't done a single event. We were there till 11:30 at night (typically we're done by 6:00). Officiating was all over the place. The LaJust rep didnt show, so there was no way to buy socks....so...if both competitiors had sopcks, great. If not, then they went with contact scoring. The brackets were a mess and a half.

Here's hoping that next year things go back to their usual higher standards.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It had to be a damn site better than PA states. We had a horrible experience this year...typically PATKD runs a good (not perfect...but good) tournament. This year, it seemed like everything was problematic. The tourbey started atn 9:30...by 5:00pm there were still competitiors who hadbn't done a single event. We were there till 11:30 at night (typically we're done by 6:00). Officiating was all over the place. The LaJust rep didnt show, so there was no way to buy socks....so...if both competitiors had sopcks, great. If not, then they went with contact scoring. The brackets were a mess and a half.

Amen brother tournaments are getting bad everywhere lately

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
CA States should be interesting this weekend. Doing it on a Sunday with 900+ competitors. I expect it will run late and since kids have school the next day and parent have work the next day, I expect heated tempers as the day goes on, and probably shorter rounds.

Wouldn't be the first time CA States 14-17 and 18-32 BB's found themselves doing two 45 second rounds with 10 second break in between to qualify for World Class at JO's and Nats.

blackbeltMOM

White Belt
Reaction score
Terry,
I have to agree with you. This year's competition was better run than past years for sure from the stand point of better organization. The venue was better but the sound - as usual- was horrible. When will they learn that when the acoustics are bad the announcer does not need to YELL and talk so quickly into the mic??? Please! No one could understand! With regard to the parking, yea, that was ridiculous. $25 was a little out of control. Now to start on the scoring....can I say the LaJust is THE WORST!? Yes, I can, and just did!! Across the board it was awful and clearly, many "hits" that were spot on and with appropriate force behind them did not score! As usual, head shots are often time subjective....but I digress. There really needs to be some continuity in the ref training for all refs.....it just isn't happening across the board. Yes, the Good, the BAD and the UGLY. It was nice to have a "time frame" for each of the divisions, knowing that there would be "wait time" as well. For organization of the tournament (compared to past years, I'd give it a "7", referring - including the LaJust system, I'd give it a "4" and over all a "6" - still lots of room for improvement.) "Planning without execution is futile, Execution without planning is is fatal."

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
CA States should be interesting this weekend. Doing it on a Sunday with 900+ competitors. I expect it will run late and since kids have school the next day and parent have work the next day, I expect heated tempers as the day goes on, and probably shorter rounds.

Wouldn't be the first time CA States 14-17 and 18-32 BB's found themselves doing two 45 second rounds with 10 second break in between to qualify for World Class at JO's and Nats.

This is why we won't be attending! Stupid planning! Sorry you missed Vegas! Kym/Charlie were looking forward to mixing it up with team x.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is why we won't be attending! Stupid planning! Sorry you missed Vegas! Kym/Charlie were looking forward to mixing it up with team x.

It makes no sense to do a tournament on Sunday, if you ask me they never ever think about the parents or athletes just what can make them the most money

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score

Just curious if the athlete forgot his socks and did not have the $40.00 dollars to purchase a new pair from the vendor that was there due to a contract signed with USAT would the USAT allow contact scoring or would the athlete be disqualified?
Double standards?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It makes no sense to do a tournament on Sunday, if you ask me they never ever think about the parents or athletes just what can make them the most money
Sunday is bad bad and more bad. My kids are not doing CA States but we have 11 others that are. I was not going to coach at all but now I was asked to. So I have to do the tourney that may finish late, then drive 4 hours back home only to get up and work that Monday. Not good.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sunday is bad bad and more bad. My kids are not doing CA States but we have 11 others that are. I was not going to coach at all but now I was asked to. So I have to do the tourney that may finish late, then drive 4 hours back home only to get up and work that Monday. Not good.

Stupid BS

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Growing up, all the karate tournaments were on Sundays, and when I moved to the mainland for school, I thought it was weird that the tournaments were all on Saturdays. But no one had to drive hundreds of miles to attend our Sunday tournaments, and they were always finished by 3pm So our circumstances are different than on the mainland, especially places like Texas where the main cities are so spread out.

hal-apino

Green Belt
Reaction score
Growing up, all the karate tournaments were on Sundays, and when I moved to the mainland for school, I thought it was weird that the tournaments were all on Saturdays. But no one had to drive hundreds of miles to attend our Sunday tournaments, and they were always finished by 3pm So our circumstances are different than on the mainland, especially places like Texas where the main cities are so spread out.

Most people go to church on Sunday

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes I can remember do some on Sunday but in today world you have so much travel time and also alot more competitors than in the old days as well.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I can remember do some on Sunday but in today world you have so much travel time and also alot more competitors than in the old days as well.

Right, so it makes more sense to have events on Saturdays now days, so that participants are not overly inconvenienced. I also think that the combining of Senior Nationals and JOs is a bad idea. It used to be teams would travel together for senior nationals or jos, coming on the same day and leaving on the same day. Now events are so long that it is almost impossible to have that same sort of cameraderie building experience. I hear the events are so long that even our USAT Referee Chair shows up to events one day late and leaves one day early. If even he can't stay the whole time, how can we expect other volunteers to do the same?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

They are still held on Sundays in Illinois. A lot has to do with that fact that a lot of the parents work on Saturdays. This resulted in less people attending so we keep them on Sunday. Now for major events such as NASKA, they hold them Friday & Saturday, since people tend to travel to them. That gives them Sunday time to travel back.