Texas schools revive paddling

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I might have read more into your response than I should have. I thought you were making a reference to Kenya's internal stability. We both know surely that the problems of Kenyan governance has seeds into far more factors than corporal punishment. Things like colonial policy & endemic poverty among other things.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I might have read more into your response than I should have. I thought you were making a reference to Kenya's internal stability. We both know surely that the problems of Kenyan governance has seeds into far more factors than corporal punishment. Things like colonial policy & endemic poverty among other things.

I thought Sage's question was fair, if he was sticking with the thread. I can't honestly say whether caning was good or bad think for Kenya as a whole, but I do know from personal experience, that it kept me and a whole bunch of my friends from serious trouble. It's no longer done now because a new generation of educators in the country started overdoing it, and therein lies the problem with corporal punishment sometimes. In Kenya, thhere also was social and political pressure to stop corporal punishment practices that many people associated with colonial Brits.

Of course my childhood circumstance and those of many Kenyans is nothing compared to how kids in Texas are growing up. I went to a mixed boarding primary school when I was 7, an all-boys boarding school from Secondary "O" Levels Form 1-4 and a mixed boarding school for Secondary "A" Levels From 5-6. Many people on this thread will consider boarding school at 7 -- or even younger as was the case with my siblings -- to be child abuse. I'm glad to report that I and my sibling and most fo friends and relatives turned out OK.

Last edited:

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, I do not see.

Were I to have any advance warning of anything threatening my children, I could and certainly would prevent it by legal means - obtaining a court injunction, exhausting the school hearing processes, mounting a media campaign, using an advocacy group, removing my child from the school, expending my possessions to pay for private or home schooling, etc.

Thankfully such actions by a school are not allowed in this state.

I am referring specifically to such situations where I might find my child sobbing, with stick or paddle marks on her, or I find she was called to an office on a pretext and instead molested or raped.

To me violence is always a last resort - but having said that, an individual imperils or injures my children at their risk.

So violence is a last resort, but you will use it as a first resort if your child is corprally punished. That is the context of this discussion, not molestation or rape. But, rather then use non-violent means such as calling the police, speaking with the school administration, addressing the school board, you physically attack the person.

No, your first instinct is not to do something that would actually prevent another incident from occurring. It is to exact revenge by using violence. Thereby reinforcing to your child that violence is a perfectly acceptable means to solve your problems, and not as a last or exigent resort. And also getting yourself thrown into jail, and not able to protect your child even further.

Understand, I get where you're coming from, though I disagree because I believe in corporal punishment. But your reasoning is inconsistent.

I just find the premise behind your disagreement as corporal punishment inconsistent with what you would actually utilize yourself.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are those upon which it will not work, of course ... but {semi-joking} they'll usually be in prison not long after they leave school anyhow as their rejection of social rules and authority runs too deep.

*ahem* :p

cp didnt work with me and i never turned out a jail bird =]

I recognize though that you're referring only to some people.

Look everyone...my wife has been using CP on me for years and you don't hear me complaining. In fact, I rather like it! :whip1:

LOL!

Latest Discussions