Endurance for test

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some issue with endurance.... wondering what is your way of training for that? When we do forms continuously, we really only get a few minutes of rest, my instructor said that you should use the attention time to breath and get your heartrate close to resting HR if possible (for me, it's nearly impossible, i'm still panting!!). We test for forms towards the end of the test after all the other drills (kicking, punching, one steps...), and before sparring.. and we do all forms you previously learned. They also said its very bad to be pacing your forms (saving energy for the last form)... I don't know what to do because my endurance is just not there.
I hate running, it bores the heck out of me... what do you do to increase your endurance?

Thanks!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, for endurance you have to get into the cardio range something that makes you work and possibly breathe hard and sweat. When I do forms full out, I have to do deep breathing (Lisa has a thread) so that enough oxygen goes in to maintain muscle strength. Work on your breathing. Do your forms full out for practice. I didn't get a rest for twenty forms for 2nd dan at full power. I tried to keep my breathing on track but at the 17th form, I had insufficient oxygen and couldn't think. I knew those forms forwards and backwards literally but the next technique just wasn't there. I had to do it about five times until my breath normalized, then I could remember.

Running isn't an option in the wintertime in MN. We just got an elliptical to replace the ailing treadmill. It is good on my knees and the incline makes my quads and glutes really work and I start sweating. If you have a gym in the area, you might consider a short membership. I have to pace my work and breath. Pace by the way means to even it out, don't breathe hard, breathe controlled from the bottom of your ribcage, and work evenly. Hard to do when you are kicking though, as some of it gets anerobic and you have to bring your breath back to normal.

Or if your knees are good, just do jump rope. But you need to do at least 30-40 minutes to build endurance. The first ten to twenty are easy and then you start working after your available carbs/glucose are burned. TW

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To help build your endourance and you hate running try exorcise bike or a treadmill. Cardio is the very essence of your MA training. You need to find a happy medium for your cardio, maybe a arobic class. Proper breathing while doing your forms will also help to cut being out of breath at the end.
Good luck
terry

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions above. I am highly unfamiliar with the testing process in TKD, beyond the little bignick has shared with me, but I would say that, being as your body is working in a non-cyclical fashion (although it has this effect on the cardio-respiratory system) you may want to consider training in this fashion as well. Work "cardio" in the traditional sense described above but, at the same, time include your forms, various bodyweight exercises (walking lunges, crab crawls, pistols, etc.) to emmulate the manner inwhich you muscles and the like will be challenged.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would suggest running, too. Either on a treadmill or otherwise. I know it can bore the snot out of you. But I learned that it was the 1 time I could exercise & turn my brain off. Its not like class where you have to mentally engagued in it. An elipical or bike would be good, too. Anything that use the legs & gets your HR up.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
those are all good suggestions; however this is for a test?

I would practice what you're being tested over! You will gain the endurance you need with practice, and its also a great review, dont you think?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Proper breathing while doing your forms will also help to cut being out of breath at the end.

This really is the key. You can do all the cardio work in the world, but if you're not breathing correctly during your forms or anything else, you're going to use up whatever's in the tank regarless of your conditioning. Cardio work is good and should never be dismissed, but spend that energy wisely. Doing your forms, make sure you're not at full power throughout each movement. Motion should be relaxed and fluid with power generated at the end. You'll be amazed at how much your stamina will build up and you'll actually look better doing it. Keep your mind clear and relaxed. This also pertains to sparring and every other excercise you do. During your workout, listen to your heart. (Literally). It will tell you what to do. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sam said:
those are all good suggestions; however this is for a test?

I would practice what you're being tested over! You will gain the endurance you need with practice, and its also a great review, dont you think?

Yes, definately practicing what is on the test is a help, but working on overall cardio will certainly give you that extra tweak.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Yes, definately practicing what is on the test is a help, but working on overall cardio will certainly give you that extra tweak.

Do your poomsae wearing a weight vest. Not so hard on the knees as ankle weights!

Good luck!

Miles

wynnema

Orange Belt
Reaction score
wind sprints or HIIT are very useful for increasing your VO2 max and are more specific to the needs of the martial artist (stop/start) than just running.

You can start by running flat out for 20 seconds then jogging for 40 seconds. Do these in cycles, changing the duration or increasing the number of cycles. Google HIIT.

Latest Discussions