Tested for Blue Sash...

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
...and passed! Way to go me!! Now, I need to get more strength and conditioning in before I can even think about going for Green Sash. Green Sash will be tough because San Shou sparring w/ groundwork is required so I will need to work more on jiu-jitsu a lot more. I will need to break out the chinese ointments for all of the bruises that I will be getting from here on out. So, let the bruises begin!!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats masherdong, WELL DONE!!!! Yes, break out the Tigers Blam and Woodlock Oil and don't forget the best pain remedy of all, Jack Daniels.....LOL

Mei Hua

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on the promo, but a quick question here, it seems you test for a sash quite often, got your purple in August, which seems pretty dang quick for a new sash after only about 3 months, I'm not familair with too many styles doing that and at that fast a pace.
Many of the real Traditional styles do not use such a ranking system nor would they consider grading students that fast.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just curious about that

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on the promo, but a quick question here, it seems you test for a sash quite often, got your purple in August, which seems pretty dang quick for a new sash after only about 3 months, I'm not familair with too many styles doing that and at that fast a pace.
Many of the real Traditional styles do not use such a ranking system nor would they consider grading students that fast.

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, I'm just curious about that

It is real quick, but I train 4-5 days a week for about 2.5 hours each day. It also helps to have a BB in another system. I was told that I should be moving faster than everyone else because of my past experience. Now, I think it will take longer from here on out.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
...and passed! Way to go me!! Now, I need to get more strength and conditioning in before I can even think about going for Green Sash. Green Sash will be tough because San Shou sparring w/ groundwork is required so I will need to work more on jiu-jitsu a lot more. I will need to break out the chinese ointments for all of the bruises that I will be getting from here on out. So, let the bruises begin!!

Congratulations and Im now very confused....

San Shou (Chinese) sparring and work more on jiu-jitsu (Japanese) :confused:

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
San Shou (Chinese) sparring and work more on jiu-jitsu (Japanese)

Yes, that is correct. We will spar and have takedowns. Then we have about 30 seconds on the ground to try to get out. Kinda like what they do in UFC just not as violent.

Rabu

Green Belt
Reaction score
The term I have heard used for grappling in Chinese arts is 'Shuai Chiao'. It can also be a self contained art in itself.

Unless you are actually using BJJ or some other JJ for your grappling basics, keeping the terms consistent simply removes confusion about your practice.

Hope that helps and doesnt confuse it further.

Best regards,

Rob

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
'Shuai Chiao' is Shuaijiao and what is confusing me is Sanshou is basically“Kicking and punching”, “Qinna” and “Shuaijiao”, so I am wondering why Jujitsu.

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless you are actually using BJJ or some other JJ for your grappling basics, keeping the terms consistent simply removes confusion about your practice.

Yes, while on the ground we are using jiu-jitsu techniques.

Mantismaster

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Masherdong

If you practice Mantis why are you taking JJ to learn ground fighting? Please can you tell me who is your Sifu? Mantis is a fighting style, now I know that all styles say that they teach fighting, but mantis is strictly taught for destroying someone as quickly as possible. If you Sifu is a fighter then he will be able to teach you how to fight, if not then run and find someone that will teach you how to fight.

People these are not the 70's or 80's where most people didn't have contact with mainland China or Hong Kong to get or verified the true validity of their masters. There are lots of fraud in the martial arts and it seems that in the past 10 years or so lots of mantis masters are popping up out of nowhere.

Some of these people I have never even heard of (that doesn't mean anything) but in the mantis world it's still a very small community, so one master will know another or heard of that particular master.

In Kung Fu your genealogy tree is what's important. Trace your family tree and find out if your Sifu is actually a legit Sifu under that particular style of mantis. The reason why I'm asking is because of what you said "now I need to practice my JJ more for the ground fighting".

Peace

Mantismaster

OP
masherdong

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Check your inbox.

Trust me, my Sifu is legit. His Sifu is Arthur D'Agostino and Master Arthur's Sifu is Li Enjiu (sp?)

Latest Discussions