Terrorism and Martial Arts

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Absolutely...right...couldn't agree more...hey, wait a minnit, I thought the accusation was that I didn't share enough?

I teach at a tiny college out West. I have a good solid doctorate, and a good solid rank in American kenpo at a good school. I teach that, too, often to students who I believe will become far better than I will. And yourself?

Want more sharing? I dislike the commercialization of violence and paranoia.
Yup, about what I expected. You have read enough of my posts to know far more about me than you have put up on yourself, in terms of information. My profile is up front as well. I can be contacted via PM/Email.... It's all there. How about you?

Well, back to ignore.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

I don't offer a profile, because I don't expose my life to people who write the sort of thing you just wrote. No e-mail, same reason.

However, if you'd actually read what I've been writing over the last three years here and on Kenponet, you'd know exactly what I got my degrees in, where I study American kenpo, and all the other jazz that seems so important to you.

I don't know where you study, where your education in letters was, etc. And just checked your profile--it's about as specific as the info I just gave: you don't mention where you teach, who you studied martial arts with, where you got your college degrees.

So c'mahn: show me yours.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spud said:
A few days of training and a couple of nights of ride-alongs with cops isn’t going to put me in a better position to combat terror. I’m afraid it would encourage a little more cavalier attitude that would put first responders and LEO’s at more risk.

And sorry, I really don’t see the need for me, my mother or the kid next door to become familiar with being in a flash bang grenade situation. Now knowing how to evacuate my work place and a plan for reuniting my family during an emergency sounds much more valuable.

Good luck on your endeavor…

I do agree that I don't think that if I saw a nut with a gun and a cause I should try to take him down, but I disagree on the the other points. Combating terror is something that every citizen must do with awareness and vigilance. Community interaction, usually just by observing and knowing their surroundings is the best weapon in the fight against terrorism. Now more than ever we are seeing that knowledge and information are true power. As also don't combat training for civillians a problem. It is a freedom that we should be afforded, not as a need or necessity, but as a liberty that can be embraced at will per citizen. Restricting such knowledge to just military and LEO personel breeds facism and elitism. It sets us up for very bad politics.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

I really don't care if people dissagree with me,but taking away reputaion points without identifying yourself is low.Some people actually agree with the statement you nailed me on,so YOU might be wrong.

OP
S

Spud

OULobo said:
I do agree that I don't think that if I saw a nut with a gun and a cause I should try to take him down, but I disagree on the the other points. Combating terror is something that every citizen must do with awareness and vigilance. Community interaction, usually just by observing and knowing their surroundings is the best weapon in the fight against terrorism. Now more than ever we are seeing that knowledge and information are true power. As also don't combat training for civillians a problem. It is a freedom that we should be afforded, not as a need or necessity, but as a liberty that can be embraced at will per citizen. Restricting such knowledge to just military and LEO personel breeds facism and elitism. It sets us up for very bad politics.
You are reading too much into my post perhaps. I don't see this type of training as being beneficial to first responders. That's a long leap from saying it should not be available to the public. I would thoroughly enjoy this training for my own personal enrichment and have no problems with it being available to my mom or the kid next door. I don't think they need it but what the hey, go for it.

I never suggested any restrictions on that knowledge, just question the relative benefits.

If you wan't to talk about restrictions though: should students be vetted somehow before the training? I'm sure there are some unsavory characters who would like to become better versed in SWAT tactics....

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Your correct in some aspects of the Training. A background check is required thur the local Sheriff Department. Or if neccessary NCIC. I think it would not be too much to ask for fingerprinting and running it thur the Joint Terrorism Task Force is not improbable.

I already thought of criminals and yes Terrorist trying to come to the school to learn how to deal with Law Enforcement Training and Tactics.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

OP
S

Spud

Docking people for having an opinon, the threats of ignore lists.... Sheesh, c'mon let's move out of 8th grade.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spud said:
You are reading too much into my post perhaps. I don't see this type of training as being beneficial to first responders. That's a long leap from saying it should not be available to the public. I would thoroughly enjoy this training for my own personal enrichment and have no problems with it being available to my mom or the kid next door. I don't think they need it but what the hey, go for it.

I never suggested any restrictions on that knowledge, just question the relative benefits.

If you wan't to talk about restrictions though: should students be vetted somehow before the training? I'm sure there are some unsavory characters who would like to become better versed in SWAT tactics....

Sounds like we agree. As for the background checks, there I'm a little torn. In personal and practical opinion, I agree that certain people should be restricted on common sense (felons, the mentally/emotionally disturbed), but on principle and moral grounds I don't think that anyone should be denied. I say this because allowing differentiation between who is "worthy" and who isn't again sets us up for oppression. Who gets to decide who is acceptable for training?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
John Jay College MA in Terrorist Studies
University of Maryland Master in National Security Affairs
Fairleigh Dickinson University Security and Terrorism Studies
American Institute of Homeland Defense
Institute For Security Technology Studies
Ohio State
Naval Post Graduate School
American Military University
University of Missouri at Columbia

This a portion of the list lol.
Ok, Mr. Weiser, according to all this, it seems that I have misjudged you, and for that I apologize. Not only are you more than qualified to excel in your current endeavour, but you did state:

There again I am not here to change your opinion but I see a need that needs to be taken care of and I will do my personal best to do so.
and so hopefully, no offense taken.

OP
G

Gary Crawford

Deciding who to train and who not to train is an important issue especially when it comes to lethal stuff.So far I have only rejected one guy who definatly didn't have his head on straight.Since I teach only at MA schools,I have depend on the descretion of the instructors since they know their students better than I do.If I ever do expand to teaching to the general public,I will have to use some sort of method checking people out.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

None Taken Flat lol but it can be like banging your head on the wall lol.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

Obviously there's Personality Conflicts abounding in here.. We ALL have Varied Personalities.. If you're the Type that gets Hot under the Collar about something you Believe Deeply in.. FINE.. if Someone Chooses NOT to agree with you.. That's OK too.. Get over it.. and Get on with Something worthwhile..

So Keep the Discussion On Topic and Respect the opinions of Others.. Even if you Don't agree~!

:soapbox:

~Tess
-MT S. MOD-

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Actually working on that portion of the Business. After the required Certifications are acheived on my part the connections to Federal,State and Local LE agenices will be contacted and being a former LE officer myself I have a few contacts to call upon.

You seen ahead good job. I would like to invite guest speakers to the school and hope to incorporate those lessons to the students.

My goal as I said is to eventually have a combat ranch where Law Enforcement Officals and the General Public can view each others training once approved for viewing of course.

The whole point we have to live together in this world and once we understand the threats and how they are dealt with the FEAR FACTOR will be controlled and or eliminated.

I would hope as time goes on I could get retired officers or others to come and be on a speaking forum on myraid of subjects to help the general population understand how to deal with terrorism.

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser
If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing currently to beef up your credibility/topic expertise on this specialization?

Have you researched groups like BLAUER, Thornton, Masaad Ayoob (has a relationship with FMA artist in his tactical firearms program), Thunder ranch/Blackwater.... for existing outlines? I have already mentioned ESI but there are other Exec. Protect firms that do international security that train/orient training toward terrorism since PI and South/Central America is such a hot bed of kidnapping for profit.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

Getting my BA in Terrorism Studies and also getting certificates from Counter Terrorism Groups that will lead to other contacts for networking in the business. I also have memberships in some think tank and research groups on Terrorism.

Matter of Fact one of the Groups has reached out and offered me a Possible Full Time Posititon at their think tank out of Virginia once the grant goes thru for the group.

So I am working towards the neccessary contacts and training.

I am not going to be trained as a Bodyguard but rather as an Instructor/Trainer in this Homeland Security Area.
Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Latest Discussions