Terror Raid in Miami: 7 arrests

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
Nothing I can disagree with there.

However, I was addressing the point that the Bush Administration policy of illegal wiretapping (and it is illegal) is somehow "proven" to make us safer based on the fact that there hasn't been a major terror attack in the past five years. My point was that this does not logically follow, as there had been no major terror attacks for over six years prior to 9/11.

Laterz.

Also Agreed

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:
I wonder how many are true "cells" and how many are pathetic wannabes. Although in the end it doesnt matter.

This article is related directly to the this investigation. As I read this article, this group is in the 'pathetic wannabes' category.

If the FBI funds and sets up their training facility ... are these guys terrorist wannabees at all, or merely opportunists taking advantage of government money --- even though they don't realize you and I are the source of cash.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/01/AR2006090101764.html?sub=AR

By the beginning of January, CW2 {FBI confidential witness #2} had offered Batiste a rent-free warehouse large enough for training. In reality, the FBI wanted a new meeting spot because it could not carry out surveillance at the "embassy," which was located in a high-crime area where agents would be easily spotted.

When Batiste grew impatient for money early in March, CW2 placated him by formally swearing him into al-Qaeda. In a ceremony recorded by the FBI, the informant read an English translation of the al-Qaeda loyalty oath, "welcomed Batiste to al Qaeda and declared that al Qaeda and the Moors were officially united," according to court papers. The informant and Batiste also selected a two-story warehouse as their new headquarters and training site.
On March 15, the FBI wired the warehouse for sound and video. The next night, before a secret camera, CW2 administered an English translation of the al-Qaeda oath to six members of Batiste's group, four of whom called themselves "prince" and two who were addressed as "brother."

"Wanna join my super secret club?"

Nice to see Mr. Pincus still doing excellent work.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
!!!
Arrested terrorists!!
One step better than DEAD terrorists!!! (better because you can Milk info from live ones. After that's gotten....then they should enter the Next catagory)

:mp5::whip:

Your Brother
John

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
As I read this article, this group is in the 'pathetic wannabes' category.

Catch them early enough and everyone is a wannabe and pretty pathetic.

The problem is that they can gain knowledge and experience pretty rapidly. The bus bombings in London was a pretty good example of how some folks below the radar gained enough experience and knowledge to pull off a deadly attack.

I feel a lot safer knowing that these guys were discovered and taken out before they got the abilities to do real harm.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Catch them early enough and everyone is a wannabe and pretty pathetic.

The problem is that they can gain knowledge and experience pretty rapidly. The bus bombings in London was a pretty good example of how some folks below the radar gained enough experience and knowledge to pull off a deadly attack.

I feel a lot safer knowing that these guys were discovered and taken out before they got the abilities to do real harm.

I'm wondering if you read the article?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I'm wondering if you read the article?

Yes, and the idea of people setting up their own kingdom in America sounds nutty- but nut cases are the type of people I would like caught as early as possible.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Yes, and the idea of people setting up their own kingdom in America sounds nutty- but nut cases are the type of people I would like caught as early as possible.

I would have to agree on that point!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One of these seven was acquitted in a United States court of law.

The other six's prosecution ended with mistrials.

This was a massive FBI operation; over 12,000 intercepted phone calls and video surveillance. But, not enough to convict. Apparently the juror polls were pretty evenly split as to guilt or innocence.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071213/ap_on_re_us/terrorism_investigation

The White House had seized on the case to illustrate the dangers of homegrown terrorism and trumpet the government's post-Sept. 11 success in infiltrating and smashing terrorism plots in their earliest stages.

Ahh, maybe not so much, eh?

The group never actually made contact with al-Qaida and never acquired any weapons or explosives. Prosecutors said no attack was imminent, acknowledging that the alleged terror cell was "more aspirational than operational."
But then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said after the arrests in mid-2006 that the group was emblematic of the "smaller, more loosely defined cells who are not affiliated with al-Qaida, but who are inspired by a violent jihadist message."

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, Follow this, if you will.

You are a legal United States resident.
You are accused of being part of a terrorist cell.
The United States Government puts you on public trial.
In that trail you are acquitted; found not guilty.

What do you think happens?

You go free with an apology from the Government. Ahh, Hell No. The United States goverment moves you to a new jail, and keeps you detained with no charges, while attempting to deport you, because of 'terrorist ties'. The same terrorist ties of which a jury of your peers found you 'not guilty'.

And, the judge of your trial issues a gag order against you, and your family, so that you can not speak publically about the legal fact that you are not guilty.

What country is this again?

Read about it here:
http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2...et-thrown-out-of-the-usa-get-gagged-about-it/

Latest Discussions