SMART Meters...Arrested...WTF?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...tallation-on-her-property-tells-us-her-story/

Stahl said she waited on her porch for the workers to arrive at her house. When they did, she refused them access to her backyard through her locked gate. The police — including the police supervisor, a sergeant — were called. Stahl said the sergeant explained the workers had authorization to access the meter, but Stahl stood her ground saying she didn’t approve it. The sergeant continued to try and convince Stahl to comply and said if she didn’t, he’d arrest her.

“The city has always had and maintains the right to access our equipment, and today we were simply exercising that right,” City Manager Doug Kreiger told the Chicago Tribune, which reported Wednesday’s events.

The lock on Stahl’s fence was cut, and when Stahl wouldn’t step away from the meter, she was lead away by an officer, cuffed and waited for a marked squad car to arrive to take her to the department. When asked why she was being arrested, she was told it was for interfering with a police officer.

Arrest the homeowner??? Why not just turn off their utilities if they refuse to accept the providers equipment? But force your way onto private property w/o a warrant and arrest the owner??

WTF??

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They also arrested a neighbor for video recording. Illinois seems to have this track record of rights violations.

Illinois citizens are still being arrested under the state’s controversial Eavesdropping Law even though police were ordered not to make these arrests after the law was deemed unconstitutional last year.
A woman was arrested Thursday in Naperville on an eavesdropping charge as she video recordered her friend getting arrested trying to block city workers from installing a smart meter in her home.
http://www.photographyisnotacrime.com/

As to SMART meters, I came home and found one on my house. I wrapped it in tinfoil and put a do not open until Christmas bow on it. They took my bow away. I was sad. ;)

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know much about the meters and some of the protests over them seem a bit "tin hat". But just because the power co. has "rights on paper" to access their equipment that doesn't usurp the property owners rights. This should have been a civil matter...these coppers made an unlawful arrest IMO. They didn't even know what to charge so they fell back on the "interfering with a police officer" charge.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope she sues....

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They'll have reserved a right-of-way for this. I don't doubt it was legal but I do suspect it could've been handled better.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes they have a right of way...but denying them that right is not a penal law offense. They can cut off your power, they can jack up your rates, fine you...but you shouldn't be getting arrested. This was a civil law violation. The charge laid here is indicative that the cop couldn't find an arrestable violation of penal law.

If there was a public emergency necessitating immediate access to utility lines/connection I could charge "criminal nuisance" or perhaps reckless endangerment if the property owner interfered. What was the immediate emergency necessitating an arrest in this instance?

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Trib article indicates the power company has an alternative plan for folks that do not want the "smart" meters....which makes it even more baffling that she was arrested over this.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Trib article indicates the power company has an alternative plan for folks that do not want the "smart" meters....which makes it even more baffling that she was arrested over this.

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/n...aperville-outsmarted-by-smart-meter-foes.html

Up until Wednesday when Naperville police foolishly arrested two board members of the group opposing smart meters, the city had been amazingly tolerant of those who object to the smart meters.

Ahhh...they were making an EXAMPLE out of em. That's all additional kinds of wrong.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Bullies with Badges".
Breaking the law because they "Are the Law" as they feel like.

I really detest bad cops. I know too many good ones who don't need the BS.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arrested for perpetrating an unpopular opinion. Yikes...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
damn yankees...
Around here they give you a stack of post cards, tell you to mark the meter reading on there, then mail it in....

So what is it about the smart meters? They interfere with pace makers? make younger people stronger old ones sick so they die?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
damn yankees...
Around here they give you a stack of post cards, tell you to mark the meter reading on there, then mail it in....

So what is it about the smart meters? They interfere with pace makers? make younger people stronger old ones sick so they die?

From what I read it's an issue with tracking of your power consumption and throttling it down or cutting you off entirely if "someone" decides you are using too much.....

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I read it's an issue with tracking of your power consumption and throttling it down or cutting you off entirely if "someone" decides you are using too much.....

:lol:
really?

Al Gore or billie?

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fact that the government is going to these extremes to install this device will only reinforce any conspiracy theories already circulating....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless the woman arrested isn't quite telling the truth and she actually did something arrestable like assault a police officer etc. So often these reports are very one sided with people already having an opinion on the various 'sides'.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless the woman arrested isn't quite telling the truth and she actually did something arrestable like assault a police officer etc. So often these reports are very one sided with people already having an opinion on the various 'sides'.

1 woman was arrested for recording while standing on private property and not interfering. Goons don't like it when they can be held accountable for their actions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 woman was arrested for recording while standing on private property and not interfering. Goons don't like it when they can be held accountable for their actions.

However that's one side of the story she could for instance have been swearing, threatening etc as well. Just because she was doing something that wasn't illegal when filming doesn't mean her behaviour was that of an angel lol! What makes me laugh is so many on here go on about the bias of newpapers and other media yet instantly believe everything must of happened the way that self same media report merely because it fits in with prejudices they already have. People rarely look at both sides of a story like this. Yes she may have been filming but was she also abusive? perhaps, perhaps not but whatever happened there is only one side of the story being reported here. Of course it's not so much fun looking at all sides of a story.........

We had a big story in the UK a while ago and a big campaign mounted because a man had shot an 'intruder' and the man was jailed. People went on about rights, being able to defend themselves etc etc but what they didn't look into was the fact the man had actually enticed the lad into his house, trapped him there then when the lad escaped down the path he shot him in the back. People only read what they wanted to, that story still gets trotted out even on here about how bad our laws are on self defence but nobody looked at the whole picture.

OP
Tgace

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Except that is not what was charged. I'm all for giving the LEO the benefit of the doubt but you don't just charge interference/obstruction....especially on private property if there was a "real" offense you could charge.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Latest Discussions