Tell us about your home gym....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This guy is correct about losing muscle as we age & someone on the thread mentioned bone density. I think he needs to watch his diet though, looks overweight.
One Form of weight training I've found very useful, & as you'll see this isn't new is a system Bob Gadja used.
yeah diet and weight would be the biggest one as we age. Long before we start losing muscle. In general, many of us become less active as we age and that contributes to the muscle loss, and the "decay" (can't think of the correct term) of the joint health and heart health. From there it's just a train wreck as those issues will cause other issues. What's worse is that the train wreck sneaks up without warning.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never knew this... that they did this in Japan too.

I do the same exercise using a bag like this. I pick up the bag and then I walk with it in my arms or on my shoulders depending on my mood. Then I slam it on the ground and pick it up again. On my good days I'll do 5 squats with it on my shoulder then lift it over my head and place it on the other shoulder and do 5 more squats.
1664987499002.png

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do the same exercise using a bag like this. I pick up the bag and then I walk with it in my arms or on my shoulders depending on my mood. Then I slam it on the ground and pick it up again. On my good days I'll do 5 squats with it on my shoulder then lift it over my head and place it on the other shoulder and do 5 more squats.
View attachment 29036
what´s the weight ? looks a good piece of kit

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what´s the weight ? looks a good piece of kit
Heavy. lol. I'm not sure what the weight is. It's supplied by the gym I go to. One day I just lifted it and thought that it was heavy enough to train with and not so heavy that it was going to screw up my back. . I want to say that it's in the 70lb - 80lb range. Unfortunately it doesn't have a weight marking on the bag. The shape makes it an awkward but stable lift.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Heavy. lol. I'm not sure what the weight is. It's supplied by the gym I go to. One day I just lifted it and thought that it was heavy enough to train with and not so heavy that it was going to screw up my back. . I want to say that it's in the 70lb - 80lb range. Unfortunately it doesn't have a weight marking on the bag. The shape makes it an awkward but stable lift.
so thinking Kgs it´s about 30-36kgs not really heavy & not the weight of an average man.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
so thinking Kgs it´s about 30-36kgs not really heavy & not the weight of an average man.
No it's not heavy like that. That would be too heavy for me to train with considering my back issues. I would be surprised if it's more than that. I would think that the gym would want a middle range bag that women could work with as well. If it's more than that, then I'm thankful I haven't messed up my back.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1664990379834.png

Size wise. It's too small to put across shoulders like this. It's probably half the size of this picture here. It's a good shoulder fit for carrying on the shoulder.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No it's not heavy like that. That would be too heavy for me to train with considering my back issues. I would be surprised if it's more than that. I would think that the gym would want a middle range bag that women could work with as well. If it's more than that, then I'm thankful I haven't messed up my back.
yeah not saying it´s bad but a real man struggling & fighting is another thing. I know that you know this but if i was you train with a heavier weight & try lifting areas where you can use leaverage/balance..this is what Judo is about

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah not saying it´s bad but a real man struggling & fighting is another thing. I know that you know this but if i was you train with a heavier weight & try lifting areas where you can use leaverage/balance..this is what Judo is about
I gotta becareful with heavy weights since a back injury for me can take me out of training for 6 months. I just rather say within a comfortable range and workup from there. All of my workouts are geared towards time and how long I can apply a consistent strength output for 1 minute. I remembered that I had video of it. I forgot why I created, probably for my threads about sharing my work out. As you can see the bag isn't large. I do 5 squats using a narrow stance. In the video I did 25 reps.

1664997798344.png

After the squats I do frog jumps from one line to the other. You may be able to see the lines in the picture. I start off with this and I jump about 10 times. After the first 10, I put aerobic steps in the middle of the floor. Now I'm jumping for height and for distance. The highest that I've gotten is a little bit lower than the height of my knees in the picture below. I would like to do them more often but I have to be careful of my knees because I'm over weight. So I only do these maybe once every 3 months for about a week.
1664998526869.png

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yep I've been cleaning up my diet big time. I have some special help now because I get sick when I eat junk food and fast food.
Excuse my mistakes when writing because I write German & English so my phone miss spells at times.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you guys "split" your Routines or do you train more full body? I've went through periods of full body or upper/lower.
The 5 day "bro " split I did a while back but mainly it was

Chest & triceps
Back & biceps
Off
Shoulders/traps
Legs
Off
Off
Repeat...

Now I'm splitting my body into two workouts that I rotate

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you guys "split" your Routines or do you train more full body? I've went through periods of full body or upper/lower.

Chest & triceps
Back & biceps
Off
Shoulders/traps
Legs
Off
Off
Repeat...

I set my training into 1st hour martial arts 2nd hour weight training. The first hour works multiple muscles at the same time. I try to do the same thing with the weights provided that the first hour didn't make me too tired.

I try to work all body parts daily

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sunday: chest with flat, incline and decline press. 3 sets of bicep. 4 sets of dumbbells squat 40lbs each. Pull up. Then punching and kicking and stick on heavy bags. Total of a little over 2 1/2hrs.

Monday: tricep, bicep 3 sets each. Dip with 25lbs weight jacket. grip exercise. Punching and kicking and stick in air. Total of a little less than 2hrs.

Wednesday: tricep, bicep of two different ways, 8 sets each. Twist bar for chest and arms. back with dumbbells. Lunging with 40lbs dumbbells on each side. Then punching and kicking and stick on heavy bags. Total of a little less 2 1/2hrs.

Friday: Leg exercise like deep stance walk for 7:30mins, or double steps up the stairs to second floor 15 to 18times. Some Punching and kicking in air.

I am kind of doing less and less on Friday. It's just too much both mentally and physically. I do a few minutes of stick or punching & kicking at night when weather is colder to keep warm. 2 or 3 time knife practice on heavy bag a week at night. I can't wait for weather to get colder. It's hard to do it when it is warm. Too lazy to shower twice a day.

I try to keep it below 7 hours a weak. it's just too much right now. I am not young anymore!!! I try to spend 50% of time on weights and 50% on MA. I put more importance on weight than MA. Weight training is more important for health particular at old age. If I have to choose one, it's a no brainer, I drop the MA in a heart beat.

Lately I do more bicep and tricep, each day is of different exercise to make sure I stimulate the muscle in different ways.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score

Chest & triceps
Back & biceps
Off
Shoulders/traps
Legs
Off
Off
Repeat...

I'm probably going to give you more info than you care about.

Short answer:

Historically I've preferred one, big, full body workout with primarily machine weights per week when I can, plus whatever I'm doing for martial arts or other activities on top of that.

Long answer:

When I was living in Seattle, where I owned a tiny commercial gym, I did one, big, full body, HIT weight lifting workout every week, plus whatever I was doing as part of my martial arts class. Since I've moved to the southwestern desert and my gym is in my garage, things are a little harder to schedule. When it's 115F/46C or hotter outside, it's probably not completely safe to do a full HIT routine in the garage and it's definitely miserable to do one, so I've had to modify things a bit and I definitely have a different pattern, summer vs winter (spring and fall are a mix).

Winter: I've got two routines and I try to do each once a week, but if I feel like I'm not recovering or I haven't been getting enough sleep or something, I'll drop to one workout/week and alternate. Sometime I'll sub in something like leg curl or spinal extension for a bigger movement or two if I'm feeling like I want to get a workout in but can't handle that many big, compound exercises. These are all done on machines, with a 10/10 protocol, never unloading, 1 set to complete failure, no rest, move between exercises as quickly as possible, with a target time of about 1 minute, but that varies a bit by exercise. For example, I've found that I get much better results if I increase weight on the chest press when I hit 46 seconds or longer before failure forces a stop, but my form suffers if I increase weight on the pulldown before I can hit 1 minute 10 seconds.

Routine A (Monday)
  • chest press
  • pulldown
  • hip extension
  • weighted calf raise
Routine B (Thursday)
  • 4-way neck
  • shoulder press
  • seated row
  • leg press
Summer: A lot more body weight exercises and isometrics that I can do in the airconditioned house. When we have a cooler day, I'll try to fit in 1-3 big exercises out in the garage and mix them up. So I might manage chest press and pulldown one week and then 2-3 weeks later just get in a leg press or hip extension.

Regardless of season, I do a lot of stuff that I don't really count as exercise. My wife and I do at least 1 hour of brisk walking together almost every day. I work at home, in front of a computer all day so whenever I get up I often drop and do 10-20 slow pushups to keep my shoulders from binding up, etc. The startup I work for just got to a place where I think I'll have a job for a year or two without interruptions so I feel I can safely spend money on a MA class again and that will add to the drills, etc. that I do at home.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm probably going to give you more info than you care about.

Short answer:

Historically I've preferred one, big, full body workout with primarily machine weights per week when I can, plus whatever I'm doing for martial arts or other activities on top of that.

Long answer:

When I was living in Seattle, where I owned a tiny commercial gym, I did one, big, full body, HIT weight lifting workout every week, plus whatever I was doing as part of my martial arts class. Since I've moved to the southwestern desert and my gym is in my garage, things are a little harder to schedule. When it's 115F/46C or hotter outside, it's probably not completely safe to do a full HIT routine in the garage and it's definitely miserable to do one, so I've had to modify things a bit and I definitely have a different pattern, summer vs winter (spring and fall are a mix).

Winter: I've got two routines and I try to do each once a week, but if I feel like I'm not recovering or I haven't been getting enough sleep or something, I'll drop to one workout/week and alternate. Sometime I'll sub in something like leg curl or spinal extension for a bigger movement or two if I'm feeling like I want to get a workout in but can't handle that many big, compound exercises. These are all done on machines, with a 10/10 protocol, never unloading, 1 set to complete failure, no rest, move between exercises as quickly as possible, with a target time of about 1 minute, but that varies a bit by exercise. For example, I've found that I get much better results if I increase weight on the chest press when I hit 46 seconds or longer before failure forces a stop, but my form suffers if I increase weight on the pulldown before I can hit 1 minute 10 seconds.

Routine A (Monday)
  • chest press
  • pulldown
  • hip extension
  • weighted calf raise
Routine B (Thursday)
  • 4-way neck
  • shoulder press
  • seated row
  • leg press
Summer: A lot more body weight exercises and isometrics that I can do in the airconditioned house. When we have a cooler day, I'll try to fit in 1-3 big exercises out in the garage and mix them up. So I might manage chest press and pulldown one week and then 2-3 weeks later just get in a leg press or hip extension.

Regardless of season, I do a lot of stuff that I don't really count as exercise. My wife and I do at least 1 hour of brisk walking together almost every day. I work at home, in front of a computer all day so whenever I get up I often drop and do 10-20 slow pushups to keep my shoulders from binding up, etc. The startup I work for just got to a place where I think I'll have a job for a year or two without interruptions so I feel I can safely spend money on a MA class again and that will add to the drills, etc. that I do at home.
You write some very thorough posts always good to read.
All good

Latest Discussions