Tell us about your home gym....

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have tried that. I have one in my garage.

View attachment 28937

Sometime to replace tradition by modern is not easy. I have tried to use this

View attachment 28936

to replace this.

Gon-twist.gif

But in the modern gym, I still cannot find anything to replace this.

with cables you get constant tension or even bands..

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Using elastic band to do these at home is perfect. You can put anchors on door frame, put higher and hook elastic band for punching, hook lower for kicking. Add resistance to the punching and kicking is very easy with elastic band, It's CHEAP also. After doing it, just unhook the elastic bands and put it away. This is BIG BOSS friendly also!!! Don't have to leave a mess around.
Punching elastic.jpg

I put it on the closet door frame, after I finished, just close the door and you never know it's even there. I don't even have to take it down. this is in higher position for punching.

Compare to ropes, pulley and stone hooking to a tree to practice to just looks "different", elastic band is so so much easier to set up. Want to bet, it takes a lot more effort to bolt the pulley to a tree, then rope easily tangle up during kicking if one leaves a slack between kicking. At least, it trouble free using the pulley in the gym as it's designed for that like in your video.

I find elastic band is very good for PEAK CONTRACTION of muscles.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The issue is the rope used in that weight pulley is not long enough. When you release a long rope, the rope will have a short delay to drop. That drop will give you a bit surprise. Your body will need to develop natural resistance to the rope pulling. This ability in wrestling is very important. When your opponent gives you a quick and sharp pull, your body can have natural resistance.

This is why I built up a weight pulley at home with long rope.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is why I built up a weight pulley at home with long rope.
Yeah if it works for you but the Twist is training all the core muscles, internal/ External obliques used in the video or gif he posted.
I mean I don't see top MMA fighters using your Set up. They're in the gym & in the ring. I can train all these muscles too with a twisting double crunch, my point being anatomy & how our muscles work as a unit don't get trained in a special manner because of a "secret" exercise training in a wood.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah if it works for you but the Twist is training all the core muscles, internal/ External obliques used in the video or gif he posted.
I mean I don't see top MMA fighters using your Set up. They're in the gym & in the ring. I can train all these muscles too with a twisting double crunch, my point being anatomy & how our muscles work as a unit don't get trained in a special manner because of a "secret" exercise training in a wood.
That's the key. MMA is so so much more advanced, they don't do all those little "need" tricks. I can tell you, UFC gym where I live does NOT have pulley and rope on tree.

weight training is a whole body training. I don't really try to train just for MA. It's a long term thing that combine together with MA as all around training.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One thing I mix MA into weight training is for the legs. All started out it's hard to train legs without real gym equipment. But I found two good ways.

1) I get into deep stance of Karate or TKD that the front leg is bent at about 90 degree, back leg is straight back. I walk in this stance for 7 1/2 minutes NON STOP. That's actually is one of the hardest exercise!!! It's both muscle and aerobics.

2) Walking up the stairs to the 2nd floor TWO STEPS at a time 18 times non stop.

When I gets easier, I might wear weighted jacket to do it.

I am not looking for better balance and all that, just leg muscles. Not thinking of double duty.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I don't like this exercise. I didn't think it was building my core in the way that I need it the most. I use a resistance band and do a similar motion but I use low resistance, and a chambered punch to do the twist. His movement seems closer to baseball than to punching. Even his stance is like baseball.

If I wanted my stomach to look like his then I would probably do it. But if I'm building my core for punching then I need to stay as close to the punching movement as possible so that all or most muscles that are responsible for that movement are engaged.

That's what I like the most about resistance bands. They allow you to get into that functional position and train the motion. It's also easy to change when you actually feel tension, so it's possible to work all the way through the muscle movement or only get tension at that end or peak of the movement. And if done correctly it shouldn't take a lot of resistance to get those muscles working. It will take a lot of reps, but I just think of it as building strength through muscle endurance and cardio. If it gets easier, go faster as safely as possible, or go a as slow as possible. Either way there's a lot of options.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One thing I mix MA into weight training is for the legs. All started out it's hard to train legs without real gym equipment. But I found two good ways.

1) I get into deep stance of Karate or TKD that the front leg is bent at about 90 degree, back leg is straight back. I walk in this stance for 7 1/2 minutes NON STOP. That's actually is one of the hardest exercise!!! It's both muscle and aerobics.

2) Walking up the stairs to the 2nd floor TWO STEPS at a time 18 times non stop.

When I gets easier, I might wear weighted jacket to do it.

I am not looking for better balance and all that, just leg muscles. Not thinking of double duty.
If you like those 2 then I got a few others that you'll like. No equipment needed, except for one exercise that uses a dumbbell. They are designed to make the person functionally stronger.

How's your back these days?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you like those 2 then I got a few others that you'll like. No equipment needed, except for one exercise that uses a dumbbell. They are designed to make the person functionally stronger.

How's your back these days?
Oh yeh, I am always open for new ideas. You know me.

My back, I have good days and bad days. I just have to make sure I don't go wild. I am slowly cutting down on my exercise, over 7hr/wk is not sustainable for me at this point. Not only the body, it's exhausting mentally also. I'm too old for that. I am trying to cut down to 6hrs max.

Hell, forget my two stepsons, I out pushup my 22yrs old grandson more than 2 to 1. Particular my older stepson, he's 58, I bet I can beat him in sparring with one hand tied to my back and no kicking!!! I remember when they were in the teens, they learn kung fu and they were kind of joking that I was old until I whooped them sparring.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's "low stance walking". The 1st time that my wife did this, he hurt her legs after 1 mile walking. So you still need to be careful on this and not pushing yourself too hard.

low_walk.jpg

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's "low stance walking". The 1st time that my wife did this, he hurt her legs after 1 mile walking. So you still need to be careful on this and not pushing yourself too hard.

View attachment 28946
Ha ha, I only walk 7 1/2 minutes, no where close to one mile. My back leg is straight, not like in the picture. I put more weight on the front leg, so it work the muscle harder, but only 7 1/2 minutes.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

View attachment 28946
how to destroy your knees. high rep squats ..end of story. Go in a gym, forget all the "Goofy" exercises from 200 years ago. exercise Physiology has moved on. I recommend this guys channel..

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I personally still like barbell squats but he has some good points if you listen to him

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never used it myself but tought many Chicks women on the machine ..most wanted firm Buns. Still squats & Lunges are still king.
There are a lot of great uses for it. max out the weight and the setting to get max extension. It will get the spots the squats and lunge don’t get. Give it a shot. Knee lifts and pulls from oblique positions. Gotta get creative. Not just for ladies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you have a home gym/dojo? Do you solo train? Do you teach others out of your home? Do you train your kids? What gear or equipment have you found useful?

I'm curious about your guy's home gym. Purpose, set up, gear?
I have a key to my dojo.

Latest Discussions