Techniques not usually seen in MMA

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
To expand on my thread tile, I was wondering, what martial arts techniques, that you find effective, that you find suprising that you don't see often, or at all in MMA? For me its Karate style foot sweeps.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
To expand on my thread tile, I was wondering, what martial arts techniques, that you find effective, that you find suprising that you don't see often, or at all in MMA? For me its Karate style foot sweeps.
The question then becomes, effective against whom?

There are certainly no rules against footsweeps.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
The question then becomes, effective against whom?

There are certainly no rules against footsweeps.
I would assume it would be effective against many, if it was ever properly attempted

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is one of the most elegant KOs I've ever seen. I had to watch that like 10 times.
I did too. He timed that sweep perfectly - once the opponent picked his foot.

It’s just like my teacher tells me all the time - a sweep should be just a light swipe at someone’s ankle or foot rather than what works out to be a strong kick to their lower leg. It doesn’t take much at all.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I couldn’t agree more about foot sweeps, they’re one of my all time favorite things to do, always have been. I never see them in MMA, but I never see them anywhere any more.

We used to use them a lot in point tournaments back in the day, then they outlawed them for some unknown reason. They weren't allowed in the kickboxing associations we were fighting in either, which I always disagreed with, still do.

But there is nothing in the world, nothing, as much fun as foot sweeping a boxer.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Or Thai style foot sweeps.

As their base is quite large in MMA, it seems a way for easy take downs. Perhaps it is a mater of time (or skill), perhaps it is not that easy (or safe) to use there. I really like sweeps, the ones that “disturb” the moving feet... so beautiful.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I really like sweeps, the ones that “disturb” the moving feet... so beautiful.
Agree! A foot sweep is like to build a leg bridge (connect your leg with your opponent's leg). During the connection, you can sense your opponent's intention.

The difference between a low roundhouse kick and foot sweep is the

- low roundhouse kick can hurt your opponent's leg,
- foot sweep can move his foot to be off the ground.

You don't need to use foot sweep to take your opponent down. As long as you can sweep your opponent's leading leg off the ground, he can't kick you right at that moment. Also he will be standing side way and his back hand will be too far to hit you. If you can push his leading arm to jam his back arm, you have just completed a successful entering. Whether you want to punch him, or take him down after that, the opportunity will be there.

Of course you can use it to take your opponent down. :)

Last edited:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't need to use foot sweep to take your opponent down. As long as you can sweep your opponent's leading leg off the ground, he can't kick you right at that moment. Also he will be standing side way and his back hand will be too far to hit you. If you can push his leading arm to jam his back arm, you have just completed a successful entering. Whether you want to punch him, or take him down after that, the opportunity will be there.

First thought there - sweep my leg like that and it's a perfect setup for a twisting kick ;)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First thought there - sweep my leg like that and it's a perfect setup for a twisting kick ;)
Of course you can borrow your opponent's sweeping force to execute your outside crescent kick, or hook kick on his head. The issue is, your opponent may expect you to do so he can attack your standing leg. :)

Some people like to play the counter game (that's why they don't like to attack first). Others like to play the counter to counter game (that's why they like to attack first). Who will win? It all depends.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course you can borrow your opponent's sweeping force to execute your outside crescent kick, or hook kick on his head. The issue is, your opponent may expect you to do so he can attack your standing leg. :)

Some people like to play the counter game (that's why they don't like to attack first). Others like to play the counter to counter game (that's why they like to attack first). Who will win? It all depends.
Yea, the carry-through kick using the force from the sweep sounds good in theory but they are very hard in practice because you usually don't expect the sweep and end up at least a little off balance. So, for me anyway, even if I get a kick off there is not much power or accuracy behind it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea, the carry-through kick using the force from the sweep sounds good in theory but they are very hard in practice because you usually don't expect the sweep and end up at least a little off balance. So, for me anyway, even if I get a kick off there is not much power or accuracy behind it.

But, even attempting it can keep your head in the game, which might be more important.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Because MMA has gravitated heavily towards Boxing right now (with kicks) and favoring the 50/50 Boxing A stance, which makes it hard sweep either of the legs. Once you've committed to a sweep and fail, then you're in range for 2-4 punches to the face before you can reset.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And for an alternate opinion, there is nothing easier in the world than sweeping boxer. Nothing.

And hardly anything more fun.

Latest Discussions