MMA is the fad right now I believe

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
My experience in terms of MMA validating the usefulness of grappling arts is the same as @PhotonGuy and @Mephisto. I did judo since childhood and the common attitude amongst most people (even a lot of judokas) was that it was 'just a sport' and wouldn't be much use in a 'real' fight against 'proper' martial arts like karate or TKD coz they'd just knock you out before you could grab a hold of them. MMA showed us all that it's not that simple. To be fair it's always been popular here in the UK as @Tez3 has mentioned, but I feel people's perspective towards it has shifted.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience in terms of MMA validating the usefulness of grappling arts is the same as @PhotonGuy and @Mephisto. I did judo since childhood and the common attitude amongst most people (even a lot of judokas) was that it was 'just a sport' and wouldn't be much use in a 'real' fight against 'proper' martial arts like karate or TKD coz they'd just knock you out before you could grab a hold of them. MMA showed us all that it's not that simple. To be fair it's always been popular here in the UK as @Tez3 has mentioned, but I feel people's perspective towards it has shifted.

Judo here has gone into partnership with the UFC
British Judo announces new sponsorship deal with Ultimate Fighting Championship British Judo Association

. I think it's about time that people took MMA as itself and not as proof of anything else. So many people want to use MMA to prove that their style 'works' ( or someone else's style doesn't) that they miss the point of MMA which is what it says on the tin...mixed martial arts, watch the fights for what they are and enjoy the competition rather than looking for which styles work and which don't especially 'on the street'.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Judo here has gone into partnership with the UFC
Canny move imo. It surprises me how anti-MMA a lot if the American wrestling establishment seems to be, as MMA has done a brilliant PR job for amateur wrestling. I bet participation rates in high schools and colleges have gone through the roof. Guess they're worried about losing potential international talent but I'd have thought the boost at grassroots would be a good trade-off for them? The BJA (who are not my favourite people but I won't get into that here lol) obviously think so

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Folks, the off topic thread derailing personal shots need to stop. As in, now.
If you don't like someone, don't respond to them. If you can't help yourself, put them on ignore.
Keep the conversation polite, professional, and on topic. Or expect to see some points being issued.

Mark A Cochran
Dirty Dog
MT Senior Moderator

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's about time that people took MMA as itself and not as proof of anything else. So many people want to use MMA to prove that their style 'works' ( or someone else's style doesn't) that they miss the point of MMA which is what it says on the tin...mixed martial arts, watch the fights for what they are and enjoy the competition rather than looking for which styles work and which don't especially 'on the street'.

I agree, I watch MMA fights when I have time and enjoy it. It's got staying power IMO.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just went back and read the OP and then looked at the thread heading. Almost two different subjects.
However I will agree and disagree with the thought that MMA is a fad.
If we consider a fad to be the latest "thing" that everyone wants to study then yes it is a fad. We can even look at the fads of the past; first jujutsu, then judo, karate, TKD, kung fu etc. all where the in thing to study at one time and now it is MMA.

If we consider a fad to be something that is around for a short period of time then gone , NO MMA dose not fall into that category because it is here to stay in one form or another.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just went back and read the OP and then looked at the thread heading. Almost two different subjects.
However I will agree and disagree with the thought that MMA is a fad.
If we consider a fad to be the latest "thing" that everyone wants to study then yes it is a fad. We can even look at the fads of the past; first jujutsu, then judo, karate, TKD, kung fu etc. all where the in thing to study at one time and now it is MMA.

If we consider a fad to be something that is around for a short period of time then gone , NO MMA dose not fall into that category because it is here to stay in one form or another.

Also UFC was in the 90s so we are looking at 20 years now.

yep I am old.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you not read the forums around here? :)

I have and I must say Im quite disappointed. After all, this is supposed to be the FRIENDLY Martial Arts Community isn't it? That's what the title is after all. And even though I know not all martial artists are nice, courteous, and respectful of others that's how I was taught martial artists should be but unfortunately in the martial arts world it can be anything but that. There can be lots of bullying and its not uncommon to find martial artists who act like John Kreese from The Karate Kid.

Anyway, that being said, since this is supposed to be a FRIENDLY martial arts community and I do believe there are rules here saying not to flame or insult other members, I think that's what we should do. Whenever we say anything here, we should be careful that it doesn't offend anybody. For a martial artist and for a Christian I believe its important to not offend people. Even if not everybody here is a Christian, the part that Christians should be nice and not offend people nevertheless I think is a good thing to apply here as well. So lets try to debate things in a civil manner and refrain from posting anything that might offend anybody. I won't mention names but some people here post really offensive stuff.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hey, Photonguy, I agree with most of your post. But I don't think that there is any mandate on the part of Christians to avoid offending anyone. In fact, my understanding is that Christians are sometimes morally obligated to offend people. :)

But that aside, I appreciate your efforts to be friendly, and this can be a healthy reminder for us all to stick to the topics and avoid making things personal.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, Photonguy, I agree with most of your post. But I don't think that there is any mandate on the part of Christians to avoid offending anyone. In fact, my understanding is that Christians are sometimes morally obligated to offend people. :)

But that aside, I appreciate your efforts to be friendly, and this can be a healthy reminder for us all to stick to the topics and avoid making things personal.

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Ephesians 4:32

So there you have it, Christians are supposed to be nice and kind and aren't supposed to offend other people.

As it is, though, Christian or not I don't think people are supposed to post stuff here that would offend somebody else, I thought the rules prohibited that, but as it is people get away with it, even staff members who should know better.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. MMA as a fad. Cagercise in all its forms are definitely elements where it is.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think most of us can agree at this point that MMA is not a fad, its here to stay.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have and I must say Im quite disappointed. After all, this is supposed to be the FRIENDLY Martial Arts Community isn't it? That's what the title is after all. And even though I know not all martial artists are nice, courteous, and respectful of others that's how I was taught martial artists should be but unfortunately in the martial arts world it can be anything but that. There can be lots of bullying and its not uncommon to find martial artists who act like John Kreese from The Karate Kid.

Anyway, that being said, since this is supposed to be a FRIENDLY martial arts community and I do believe there are rules here saying not to flame or insult other members, I think that's what we should do. Whenever we say anything here, we should be careful that it doesn't offend anybody. For a martial artist and for a Christian I believe its important to not offend people. Even if not everybody here is a Christian, the part that Christians should be nice and not offend people nevertheless I think is a good thing to apply here as well. So lets try to debate things in a civil manner and refrain from posting anything that might offend anybody. I won't mention names but some people here post really offensive stuff.

Allfather Odin on the other hand tells us to speak our mind, be brave, live life to the fullest, kill a few giants, have a drink, party with the valkyries all night and don`t give a frakk if that offends anyone. SKÅL!
vil2_viking.gif

601a65d5c1214e4e1bcef617657bfde0.jpg

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And as a side note you are not allowed to do mma as a school sport.

we had a teacher that has tried.

Depends on the school. Winchester (Mass.) High School has an MMA club. It was started in 2008 or 2009 by a student named In-Goo Kwak who went on to attend Tufts University.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the school. Winchester (Mass.) High School has an MMA club. It was started in 2008 or 2009 by a student named In-Goo Kwak who went on to attend Tufts University.

What did theirs consist of? Most of the MMA clubs I've seen or heard of at the HS and College level were more Cardio Clubs than anything. A lot of them rolled, but didn't spar (striking).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What did theirs consist of? Most of the MMA clubs I've seen or heard of at the HS and College level were more Cardio Clubs than anything. A lot of them rolled, but didn't spar (striking).

AFAIK it is lumped in with the wrestling program, so its probably very similar -- i.e., they hit pads and roll, but don't spar.

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
From what I've seen in the martial arts world. At one time grappling was viewed with skepticism. Lots of people thought striking arts were more effective than grappling arts because a striker could knock out a grappler. Then in the 90s, due to people such as the Gracies, grappling became very big. A good grappler was shown to be able to tie a striker up and neutralize their striking ability as the Gracies did very effectively. Now MMA is very big. MMA or Mixed Martial Arts combines the two. The way I see it, every style has their strengths and weaknesses. MMA is really good in that it makes you well rounded, you learn how to strike and grapple and how to combine it. but a weakness I see in MMA is that you can spread yourself too thin and become a "jack of all trades master of none." So, personally I think MMA is good if you already have experience in other martial arts. If you already have a good background in a striking art and a grappling art and you want to combine them.

I agree, bro. MMA just keeps on evolving that if you are a practitioner, you need to train hard enough so you won't get left behind and get beaten up by younger generations of fighters..