Ponder this: Has Wrestling and MMA made the traditional martial arts obsolete?

Nebuchadnezzar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
3 vs 1 it may not be your choice if you're wrestling, and if one of the three takes it there, you should be prepared.

But once you go to the ground in that situation, the others are going to join in. Better to not be there in the first place.

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
But once you go to the ground in that situation, the others are going to join in. Better to not be there in the first place.

You can not plausibly keep from going to the ground without time spent with people trying to take you to the ground and hold dominant position. This is called wrestling.

Selfcritical

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Why is there always a thread where someone is comparing sports to martial arts? MMA is NOT a martial art. Wrestling is only effective in the one on one, multiple attackers nullifies it's effectiveness.

No, they have not replaced martial arts. "Nuff Said.

It is a venue where martial artist compete however.

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why have we idolized MMA through the UFC, IFL, and Bodog?

Why do we call it an art when the spend most of their tim on the ground on top of eachother, tired in a few minutes?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why do we call it an art when the spend most of their tim on the ground on top of eachother, tired in a few minutes?

Try watching non American MMA! You will see the attraction then.
Get the Russian cage fighting DVDs, plus the UK Cagewarriors, Cage Rage, UK1, Pride & Glory etc. You can get them all online.
Personally I don't call it an art but it is made up of the skilful use of several arts.
The UFC maybe American but it's not the be all and end all of MMA.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

So jujitsu is not an art?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So jujitsu is not an art?

Guess not lol! This is turning into yet another TMA v MMA argument...yawn yawn!

Like or loathe it, MMA is enjoyed by many so why slag it off? Can we get back to a reasonable discussion please?

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Jiu jitsu is an art, however, in MMA it seems that all they do is fight on the ground, one on top of the other. How is that an art? Plus, it gets boring to watch them on the ground all the time.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmmm i think u have to learn TMA before u can do MMA, better that way i think because u have basics down ( just my 2 cents )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jiu jitsu is an art, however, in MMA it seems that all they do is fight on the ground, one on top of the other. How is that an art? Plus, it gets boring to watch them on the ground all the time.

It's clear you don't train MMA and don't appreciate it so why do you actually watch it? It's very easy to criticise fighters, Trust me, whatever you think it takes guts to get into the ring/cage. Do it at least once then your opinion will be a valid one. Insulting other arts is never an attractive thing to see whereas interesting and informed discussion - it doesn't have to be agreement, is always a welcome thing.

megat is of course right. Impossible to do MMA without TMA knowledge

krieger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't watch it. I was just stating that it has become very popular lately. I wasn't really insulting MMA, more of, vilifying it. I was only saying what I thought.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I believe rich said over the years many arts have held the spotlight for a brief moment only to be replaced a few years later by some other art as "the one to study".
As for MMA making traditional arts obsolete I do not see it happening. There is just way to much that can be learned from the traditional arts , some of which can be used in MMA, but much of which can not because of the RULES in MMA

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't watch it. I was just stating that it has become very popular lately. I wasn't really insulting MMA, more of, vilifying it. I was only saying what I thought.

:rofl:

You have just made my day!

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Krieger,

Go spend a couple years training Judo (Kosen or a Kodokan Dojo that places a decent emphasis on ne waza), Wrestling, Brazillian Jiu Jiitsu or Japanese Ju Jutsu (again in a dojo that does Ne Waza) and then tell me that ground fighting is 'boring' or not an art.

I would actually argue that MMA in and of itself is becoming an art. In the past it was a forum for people of various styles to test themselves within a certain ruleset. But as most would agree, the average competitor has changed and as a result MMA has changed so that it is a unique entity and not just an eclectic blending of various styles.

It will continue to grow and evolve I'm sure, but it's well on its way to becoming it's own art / style.

To all the naysayers who are going to jump in and say that it's just a sport and not an art I would argue that by that logic then Judo or any other competetive representation of TMA isn't an art.

Two things on this -

First, the skillful competition between combatants in any discipline (Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Ju Jutsu, MMA whatever) can in and of itself be an art or a part of the broader art.

Second, there are more people training MMA that will never step foot in a ring or octagon then those that pursue it for competitive / professional purposes. Just because one CAN compete in MMA doesn't mean one HAS to.

There is as much to be gained from MMA as TMA (I would argue that for both in order to get the maximum benefit of physical, mental and emotional / spiritual you need the right environment, the right instructor, etc but BOTH can lead to growth in an individual in all of these areas.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Krieger,

Go spend a couple years training Judo (Kosen or a Kodokan Dojo that places a decent emphasis on ne waza), Wrestling, Brazillian Jiu Jiitsu or Japanese Ju Jutsu (again in a dojo that does Ne Waza) and then tell me that ground fighting is 'boring' or not an art.

I would actually argue that MMA in and of itself is becoming an art. In the past it was a forum for people of various styles to test themselves within a certain ruleset. But as most would agree, the average competitor has changed and as a result MMA has changed so that it is a unique entity and not just an eclectic blending of various styles.

It will continue to grow and evolve I'm sure, but it's well on its way to becoming it's own art / style.

To all the naysayers who are going to jump in and say that it's just a sport and not an art I would argue that by that logic then Judo or any other competetive representation of TMA isn't an art.

Two things on this -

First, the skillful competition between combatants in any discipline (Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Ju Jutsu, MMA whatever) can in and of itself be an art or a part of the broader art.

Second, there are more people training MMA that will never step foot in a ring or octagon then those that pursue it for competitive / professional purposes. Just because one CAN compete in MMA doesn't mean one HAS to.

There is as much to be gained from MMA as TMA (I would argue that for both in order to get the maximum benefit of physical, mental and emotional / spiritual you need the right environment, the right instructor, etc but BOTH can lead to growth in an individual in all of these areas.

Excellent post, I can't add anything to it, says it all.

Latest Discussions