Techniques not usually seen in MMA

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's EXACTLY what i'm talking about! yet you very rarely see this in MMA

That was more of a Muay Thai sweep. MT's weight distribution with the "snake charming" lead leg, makes it vulnerable to this sweep.

But Karatekas don't use this stance and their sweeps seems to be a lot more committed due to the power requirement for sweeping an evenly weight distribution.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen foot sweeps in MMA from fighters like Lyoto Machita, Jon Jones, and Fedor Emelianenko. They are precision techniques and thus require a fair amount of skill to pull off under pressure in an MMA match.

Regarding other techniques not commonly seen in MMA, there are two possibilities. Either they're viable but no one has yet figured out how to use them effectively in that context or else they just aren't reliable, high-percentage moves in the context of a MMA match.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That type of sweep requires good timing and a good eye for detecting weight shift.
Try to take advantage on your opponent's foot landing will require good timing.

If you push your opponent's leading arm to jam his back arm, when he resists, you then borrow his force, pull his shoulder, and apply your foot sweep, the timing will not be that important.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The advantage of foot sweep is if you fail, it won't affect your own balance. But it's the most easy technique to escape. All you need is to bend your leg at your knee joint and allow the sweeping leg to pass under your leg, you can then sweep your opponent leg back after that.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
For me I've had plenty of sucess on pro mma fighters even, because most of them have never has them used against them from my experiences .

As for using them, i usually set them up with my punches to conceal it, or use it as s counter when they come in is two scenarios they seem most effective. I dont usually lead with it unless im using it to set up a punch

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another two techniques is the foot stomp , which ive.seen a few do, another is punching someone right in the armpit...my dad hit me with that a few times and it hurts lol

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just a guess....

Fighters that are good a foot sweeps are probably highly skilled strikers, therefore they want to keep the fight on their feet at range. Sweeping someone you are a better striker than may be counter-productive in MMA.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a guess....

Fighters that are good a foot sweeps are probably highly skilled strikers, therefore they want to keep the fight on their feet at range. Sweeping someone you are a better striker than may be counter-productive in MMA.
Very valid points

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've seen foot sweeps in MMA from fighters like Lyoto Machita, Jon Jones, and Fedor Emelianenko. They are precision techniques and thus require a fair amount of skill to pull off under pressure in an MMA match.

Regarding other techniques not commonly seen in MMA, there are two possibilities. Either they're viable but no one has yet figured out how to use them effectively in that context or else they just aren't reliable, high-percentage moves in the context of a MMA match.

In the Machida vid, the Rear Foot Sweep and Front Foot Sweep, starting at the two minute mark, those are my babies, my bread and butter. I can throw several different sweeps, but those are what I love.

In my opinion, that rear one, it was made for boxers. I actually feel bad hitting them with it. It's like picking on children.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the Machida vid, the Rear Foot Sweep and Front Foot Sweep, starting at the two minute mark, those are my babies, my bread and butter. I can throw several different sweeps, but those are what I love.

In my opinion, that rear one, it was made for boxers. I actually feel bad hitting them with it. It's like picking on children.
But does sweeping anyone ever get old? Does picking on children ever get old?

Not to me. When it’s gets old to everyone else and they start complaining, then it’s hilarious to me. Yeah, I’m that guy.

I wish I could sweep anyone and everyone whenever I felt like it. There’s an old guy at the dojo who can pretty much do that. I call him the custodian because he sweeps me like it’s his job. And when he’s not sweeping me, we both know full well that he’s just being nice and letting me stay on my feet.

It doesn’t get old for him nor me. When me getting swept gets old for me, it’ll be time to hang up the gi for the last time. I’ll have basically stopped trying to get better.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
But does sweeping anyone ever get old? Does picking on children ever get old?

Not to me. When it’s gets old to everyone else and they start complaining, then it’s hilarious to me. Yeah, I’m that guy.

I wish I could sweep anyone and everyone whenever I felt like it. There’s an old guy at the dojo who can pretty much do that. I call him the custodian because he sweeps me like it’s his job. And when he’s not sweeping me, we both know full well that he’s just being nice and letting me stay on my feet.

It doesn’t get old for him nor me. When me getting swept gets old for me, it’ll be time to hang up the gi for the last time. I’ll have basically stopped trying to get better.
I support this! My mom told me to.cut the grass, but homie don't play that, so i gave her the sweep...jk obviously, but ironically my mom is a judo black belt

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I support this! My mom told me to.cut the grass, but homie don't play that, so i gave her the sweep...jk obviously, but ironically my mom is a judo black belt
FD79FB62-4472-47BC-A953-BD8471A3E872.png

D

Deleted member 39746

I can tell you, i dislike the lack of shankings in MMA, i mean cant they hide a knife in their shorts or something...

would really spice things up

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can tell you, i dislike the lack of shankings in MMA, i mean cant they hide a knife in their shorts or something...

would really spice things up
That’s an effective technique not seen in MMA. Short of poppin’ a cap in someone’s a$$, it doesn’t get much more effective than that.

OP
C

chrissyp

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was going to make a joke about tag team mma, but apparently its real

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another two techniques is the foot stomp , which ive.seen a few do, another is punching someone right in the armpit...my dad hit me with that a few times and it hurts lol

Back in the earlier days you used to see more foot stomps. There is no rule against it, but I think more of a "gentleman's agreement" not to use them.

D

Deleted member 39746

Back in the earlier days you used to see more foot stomps. There is no rule against it, but I think more of a "gentleman's agreement" not to use them.

Thought there was a rule against it for UFC? I might be thinking of another rule set though.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thought there was a rule against it for UFC? I might be thinking of another rule set though.
Nope. It's legal.

It's just really ineffective so nobody wastes their energy doing it.

Same goes for wrist locks.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope. It's legal.

It's just really ineffective so nobody wastes their energy doing it.

Same goes for wrist locks.
Isn’t there a rule where you can’t kick a downed opponent? I think you can if you’re both on the ground somehow?

If memory serves me right, it was implemented after the savate guy kicked the sumo guy and some teeth went flying in one of the early UFC tournaments.