Teaching in English or ????????????

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
This is very true, but I still use korean terminology in class...

I learned how true it was when I actually trained with native Koreans....(btw they couldn't speak any english). They laughed so hard and I had to laugh because I must have looked so stupid.

Then we put on the gear and sparred...afterward we sat down and worked on correcting my pronounciation. I was encouraged to keep trying...

So I do.
Did you try to teach them how to speak the american tongue? Maybe to ease thier assimulation into america. Maybe with a little encouragement they could be fluent in the langauge of the country they CHOSE to live in!!

Is it me but isn't it absurd to sit in the middle of a english speaking country, yet you don't speak the right language??

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Did you try to teach them how to speak the american tongue? Maybe to ease thier assimulation into america. Maybe with a little encouragement they could be fluent in the langauge of the country they CHOSE to live in!!

Is it me but isn't it absurd to sit in the middle of a english speaking country, yet you don't speak the right language??
It's you...

Maybe he did try to help with English, maybe he didn't. But he went to a TKD school (Korean MA)... trained with Koreans (Korean)... don't you think he'd hear a little Hangul spoken?? what better time to get it corrected than by working with a native speaker!

Let me ask you... when you go to a Mexican restaurant, do you say "Gimme one of those rolled things with beef & cheese in it" or "burrito"? How about Italian... "flat noodles with the white cream sauce" or "fettucini Alfredo"?

You can't have it both ways. Either use the language & terminology where appropriate (MA school perhaps) or even required (restaurant or other establishment), or don't use anything but American English from today forward, eschewing all foreign influence in our country to stand by the thought "You're in America, speak American"...

Whichever you decide is fine, but lay off those who choose to use the language of country where our MAs came from. Not everybody wants to study an American MA... so not all of us speak English in them exclusively.

I'm done with this silly, stupid arguement.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Why is it so out of hand to expect a teacher that comes to america to teach learn to speak american??

Also someone who is only visiting for maybe a week ?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
It's you...

Maybe he did try to help with English, maybe he didn't. But he went to a TKD school (Korean MA)... trained with Koreans (Korean)... don't you think he'd hear a little Hangul spoken?? what better time to get it corrected than by working with a native speaker!

Let me ask you... when you go to a Mexican restaurant, do you say "Gimme one of those rolled things with beef & cheese in it" or "burrito"? How about Italian... "flat noodles with the white cream sauce" or "fettucini Alfredo"?

You can't have it both ways. Either use the language & terminology where appropriate (MA school perhaps) or even required (restaurant or other establishment), or don't use anything but American English from today forward, eschewing all foreign influence in our country to stand by the thought "You're in America, speak American"...

Whichever you decide is fine, but lay off those who choose to use the language of country where our MAs came from. Not everybody wants to study an American MA... so not all of us speak English in them exclusively.

I'm done with this silly, stupid arguement.
Ordering a burrito is one mexican word, that hardly comprises speaking the tongue!!

So when you teach, correct or analizt you use english to coomunicate to be clear. yet you speak chinese in order to be authentic
Like i said upnorth story were the korean using japanese terminolgy? No. But is'nt that the tradition

I'm sorry but I see zero advantage to teaching in Chinese or Korean,Japanese

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The group of Koreans that I trained with was only stateside for a short time. In order to communicate we had to learn each other's language. They said "Ahp Cha Gi" and I did a front kick. I said "Front Kick" and did a front kick. We worked together. In the end, my persistance with the Korean tongue impressed them. They were honored that an American (and there are lots of stereotypes in Korea about us) would honor the place of origin of their art. I still use the language of origin even though I still mess it up because of that.

Also, I have found that some techniques/concepts just don't translate nicely.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The group of Koreans that I trained with was only stateside for a short time. In order to communicate we had to learn each other's language. They said "Ahp Cha Gi" and I did a front kick. I said "Front Kick" and did a front kick. We worked together. In the end, my persistance with the Korean tongue impressed them. They were honored that an American (and there are lots of stereotypes in Korea about us) would honor the place of origin of their art. I still use the language of origin even though I still mess it up because of that.

Also, I have found that some techniques/concepts just don't translate nicely.
Sure in situation whereas a person that does not going to speak the tongue, will only be around a short time there probably would'nt be time to get fluent. I was talking more long term

When you say some techniques/concepts don't translate well, I assume that you are totally fluent in the Korean language, writing and then you give your students 2-3 years of language lessons.

What concepts or technique would be so hard to say in english? I for one did not realize how damn simple the english language was!! I suppose to the average oriental, we americans communicate with a sophisticated series of grunts and whistles. No wonder we must learn thier language to understand the art!

M

Matt Anderson

I practice and teach the martial arts of renaissance Europe. Most of what we do originated in what is now Germany and Italy, taught and written about by masters in those areas. I teach in English (I'm not fluent in German or Italian) but always use the German or Italian names for techniques as well, just to relate them to the original teachings and put them in historical context.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Ordering a burrito is one mexican word, that hardly comprises speaking the tongue!!

So when you teach, correct or analizt you use english to coomunicate to be clear. yet you speak chinese in order to be authentic
Like i said upnorth story were the korean using japanese terminolgy? No. But is'nt that the tradition

I'm sorry but I see zero advantage to teaching in Chinese or Korean,Japanese
because that would mean learning something new?

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's hard enough learning a style as it is without having to learn another language along the way. That's one of the things that turned me off Kendo, learning all those commands in Japanese.

It's also a matter of what you want from martial arts. If you want culture in addition to physical skill, maybe it's a good idea. But if you want to learn how to defend yourself, seems to me like it slows everything down. I personally would eventually get annoyed that my instructor insists on speaking to me in a language I don't understand.

It'd be funny to see Krav Maga taught in America in Hebrew. Let's see how fast spreading it'd be then!

~ Loki

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shihan Bobby Lowe said you know why they teach in Japanese in Japan because that’s where they live. I have had the privilege of visiting with Shihan Lowe and he runs a very hard class and is as tough as they come. He teaches in English because he lives in Hawaii. And this is one of the few men well let me quote Kenponet “Mas Oyama invited Bobby Lowe to Tokyo to train with him and Bobby Lowe did for over a year and a half. In this way Shihan Bobby Lowe became the first "uchi-deshi" of Kyokushin, a tradition that later grew to be known as the "Wakajishi" or Young Lions of Mas Oyama, where a select few are chosen each year to devote themselves to Karate for one thousand days. The first "School of Oyama" outside Japan was opened in 1957 by Shihan Bobby Lowe in Hawaii.”

V/R

Rick English

D

Drifter

Having studied American Kenpo, I can't say I've had any experience with being taught in another language. Language classes in school (English, Spanish, and German) are my favorite classes. When I am trying to learn methods of self-defense though, my goal is to learn the technique to the best of my ability, not to learn another language. I can see where if a person is learning a Traditional Martial Art, a large part of that would be learning the culture, and language is a part of it. If they go into it wanting to learn it for tradition's sake, then by all means, let them learn in another language. I learn for self-defense, so what I'm looking for might be a little different. It depends on what the goal of study is.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
because that would mean learning something new?
Are you referring to the student or the teacher? Isn't it a teacher responsibility to communicate clearly??

How long are we going to have the missuse of titles, pidgen asian languages all because we want to look more authentic??
If we talk in a language, explain in that language the oriental language is cermoninal

Latest Discussions