I have a question about this school near me

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can look at this website and tell me if the school looks alright. I don't think it has any pricing on it at all but please give me some insight into this. This is the closest school I can find to me, otherwise I have to drive like 30 minutes into dallas to find a school. The address is
http://www.masterhans.com/SchoolGrapevine.htm

thank you :)

T

TLH3rdDan

hummm sounds alittle far out there... but i happen to know one of the wtf grand masters that helped create the palgue series he lives here in nashville so i can for sure check this guy out for you... as far as the story regarding that supposed art it seems to borrow from the white crane kung fu and from greek mythology and it also sounds a little like chung moo do... so im not sure but ill find out everything i can for ya on this Han guy... seems a little odd also that this Han guy does not own any of the schools... lol love his home page that has the eye of the tiger on it lol... ok just sent an email to grandmast shin here in nashville so hopefully i have something for you soon on this guy... i also ran a search for yuan wha ryu and i think it is a style that Han has created because all sources point to him as being the only person teaching it and the current head of the system and also all history related to it is based on that story thats on the website you listed above....

K

Kirk

For me personally, I would stay away from this school. Seems a
little fishy to me. I'd try to find an established style, just to be
on the safe side. That's not a crack at founders of their own
systems, it's just for ME .. when in doubt .. go for one that's
already established.

B

Battousai

I dunno. What I would do is call them or go in for a look and ask about forms. Do they teach them? What purpose do the forms serve? If they do teach them and say that forms are for exercise and basic practice... and if you ask them if they teach self defense directly out of the forms and they say no, then forget about this school. The webpage mentions nothing about forms, so I doubt that the school has much of a background with fundamental kata.

T

TLH3rdDan

ok this is totally off topic... Katas are an important part of training it allows the students to practice on their own and to teach basic primary techniques of each style the kata is based in... however katas are not all there is to training... besides most katas hold very few self defenses for modern situations... yes they hold some but not many... you cant base an entire system around just katas you must incorporate other things as well for a balanced mix of training... and yes im sure Master Han teaches katas as all Tae Kwon Do schools do plus... he claims to have been part of the WTF commitee that created the Palgue Series which is already pretty obsolete and has been changed several times since its creation... :soapbox:
im sure this post will start a heated discussion :D

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the information :) I was planning to go in and take a look so I'll go do that. Also I was going to go to college soon so spending only a year in the school didn't seem to be that great I would like to be in it for awhile. Also I was wondering when he said you had to have a minnimum amount of class hours to go for your next level? I don't know but that seem'd odd I think if I thought I was ready and tried for the next level and got it and only had 20 hours of class time instead of 22 then they tell me I didn't have enough and told me to attend 2 more classes before I had to try again for my belt would be weird. They also don't mention any prices or the prices on the belt fees. They say they have belt fees but I think if I was running a school I would let everyone know the amount of money needed to attend the school.

T

TLH3rdDan

most places wont post their prices on their websites fear of competition that sort of thing... as far as the hours required to reach a certain level you will find that in almost all martial arts... personally i require my students to attend my school for 3 months before they are allowed to test for yellow belt... its not to get them to pay more its just that, that is the average amount of time it takes to gain the required knowledge and reach the desired level of profency with that knowledge... and yes some students do reach those levels faster than others but i still make them wait the full 3 months before testing... as i have said in another post its not a race its a marathon... dont look at your next rank and dont assume you are ready to test for the next belt that is the instructors job :D

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is something to be said for getting started now even if you're moving later. Four years after that you'll graduate and move again (OK, maybe five these days). There's a lot to be said for getting a basis. Someones else said if they won't let you observe a class, scratch them off the list--I heartily agree. A minimum number of hours training and/or a minimum amount of time in grade is common though by no means universal and I wouldn't be put off by it.

People disagree about kata (forms); I like them, myself.

C

Crane

:idunno: :confused:

Dear Carbon;
I have family in Euless. I asked about the school and was not impressed with the answers.

A good school need not be big and flashy. Only requires great instructors and dedicated students.

Years ago there were very few schools, so you may not have had a choice. Today schools are meny. and you should be able to find a school that is right for you with in a reasonable travling distance.

You might have a style of MA that you prefer to learn.

I feel that it would be better to drive a few extra miles to a school with good instructors, (hopefuly a system you have intrest in) and learn, enjoy, and be fulfilled. Then to train at a school just because it is close to home and is big, flashy and has a lot of students.

If your new, and train at a bad school, your sperit and will could be destroyed along with your image of the Martial Arts. You may never study anywhere again.

That school might be a good school? I don't know the people. But as I look at the systems name : Youn Wha Ryu. I took the "n" from "Youn" And replaced it with an "R", then I added a "t" to "Wha". I left"ryu" alone as I believe it means school. And when I put it all togather I got. "Your What School"

I don't wish to offend anyone, The moral here is simply find a Quality Instructor, even if you have to travel. And the rewards you will gain, will be well worth every mile you drive.

Crane

V

vincefuess

I lived in Grapevine TX for eight years, and I am somewhat familiar with Han's school. First off, let me tell you this- IT IS A TAE KWON DO school. They can say whatever they want about being an "all-inclusive" style- but the core curriculum is TKD, plain and simple. They may toss in a few techs from other places here and there- but it is TKD. Not that there is anything wrong with that- just don't let them mislead you. I have been there and I have talked to them. I have nothing BAD to say, it's just they weren't my cup of tea- I got the "McDojo" feeling with them.

I don't know if you are leaning toward any particular style of training, buit there are THREE (3) good martial arts schools within twenty minutes of Grapevine, though they are all Kenpo based (and I have experience with ALL three of them- having trained and/or been associated with these guys for the last 12 years or so). They are (in no particular order):

RICK FOWLER'S KENPO- In Las Colinas, right off MacArthur and HWY 114. Sifu Fowler is a 7th Degree Black Belt in American Kenpo under Huk Planas (9th Degree), and has been teaching in the area for almost thirty years. Mr. Fowler is the most experienced Kenpo instructor in the DFW metroplex. Sifu Fowler awarded me the rank of 1st Degree Black in 1996. Here is a link: http://www.metroart.com/kenpo/

COLLEYVILLE FAMILY KARATE CENTER- In Colleyville, just south of Grapevine on HWY 26. Rob Hazelwood owns this school, he is a 2nd Degree Black in American Kenpo (Rob and I trained together at Rick Fowlers). This is an extremely nice facility with three full training halls and modern equipment, and a diverse class schedule. They are affiliated with Jeff Speakman's Kenpo Association, and they regularly have seminars with some of Kenpo's greats (I attended a Huk Planas seminar there last month). Here is the link: http://kenporocks.com/CFKC_HOMEx.html

JAY McKEY'S FAMILY KARATE CONNECTION- In Irving on Beltline, not far off HWY 160. Jay McKey and Tom Hogue are both 3rd Degree Black Belts in American Kenpo, with much experience in other arts, and are wonderful instructors. They offer an eclectic martial art, based on American Kenpo, but with MANY other elements from Wing Chun, Jujutsu, TaeKwonDo, Kali, and Freestyle blended in. Their kids program is outstanding!
http://www.familykarate.org/index.html

Each of these schools have their own distinct "flavor"- I would not hesitate to recommend any one of them. Your best bet would be to visit all of them and see which one "feels like home" to you. The training is first rate at them all, yet each one has different attributes. For Kenpo style training, with these you can't go wrong.

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen the word kenpo alot but I am not sure what type of style it is. I would love to go to these schools and the one in colleyville is very close :) Thank you for the information and I will visit the websites to see what else I can learn before I visit them heheeheh

V

vincefuess

Wow. OK- the word Kenpo is one you are familiar with to some degree. Let's ask a question- What are you looking for in martial arts instruction? What led you into this pursuit? I ask you this in purely your best interest, as I would like to help you. SOMETHING made you say to yourself, "I want to train in martial arts". What was the the thing that made you come to that conclusion?

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am an overweight individual I would like to get into shape for myself. Also I get herassed at school alot jokingly, I have never gotten in a fight and don't plan to, but I would like to assure myself that if I ever got into a fight I would be adequettely prepared. Also I watch alot of kung fu movies and such and I think I would like to learn some self discipline and goal setting abilities. I used to be in a mcdojo when I was a kid and I really didn 't like it. My dad was a kick boxing champion and tough TKD for awhile and I think is a 3rd or 4th degree black belt certified in it. I am guess what you would say the average person trying to please their father since he gets onto me about my weight and such. I guess these are the reasons that I am wanting to enter martial arts. Also so I can develop more patience when it comes to people who herass me for no reason? I mean come on these haters at my school who see me talking to a girl and just because they think I'm a fat pos that I shouldn't be talking to this girl and try to put me down infront of this girl to make themselves look better and it ends up that later the girl tells me how much they annoy her. Things like this ;)

OP
C

Carbon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh and you said what am I looking for in a martial art? Well something that doesn't require flashy kicks to achieve a higher level of training, like the stuff jean claude van dame does and such I'm just not built to be agile like the 120 lb. 5' 6'' asian american person I do not know the politically correct term. I want a form that can allow me to let someone know that I do not want them to continue doing what they are doing without injuring them. For example an arm lock, a wrist lock, but the capability to effectively take someone down with a strike if they are out of control but not hurt them like lets say a strike to the stomach or chest not kidney's but say the opening inbetween the rib cage where the lungs are like inbetween your nipples and down 2 inches ;) where it really knocks the wind out of you, and doing this to a drunk person does not help har har :) ok overboard I guess but this is waht I'm looking for ;)

V

vincefuess

Kenpo sounds like the answer for you. It is a reality based martial art, with primary emphasis on effective self-defense. We don't advocate point sparring (though you can if you wanted to), and the techniques are designed to end a conflict in the fastest, most effective means possible. Kenpo is 100% tailored to the individual, which allows you to develop your natural strengths and capitalise on your natural abilities. You see alot of big people in Kenpoi- moreso than in most arts (except maybe Sumo! LOL). Most of Kenpos kicks are aimed at low targets such as knees and groin, and high flashy kicks are not required for belt advancement. I would STRONGLY encourage you to look into the schools I recommended- most notably the Colleyville school because it is very conveniently located for you.

You will like what you see!

QIGONG

White Belt
Reaction score
Well I know this is totally bringing a dead topic back from the grave but I figured I'd throw in my .02, about this particular style.

I've taken Jun Fan, JKD and Kali, Olympic Style TKD and am now enrolled in a "Master Han's" affiliate school, due to there being no JKD/Kali schools within reasonable driving distance. So, in turn I drive an hour to and back each day to attend this school. I've been enrolled for half a year, and having some background in TKD, yes there is a parallel to the WTF Style, however, this art is totally 'real-world' and totally 'applicable', and does utilize kata or more specifically the more familiar series of palgue forms to you TKD people.

I've not yet seen a school in this affiliation that was a cookie cutter institution, however just the opposite; very warm, welcoming, however clean and presentable and in a modern setting - and i've studied in studio's and rat holes that were anything but, because they tried to uphold the old school "mistique" of the monks of ages past. The environment is good, and even being a state away, I still am lucky enough to get assistance in my MA journey from the instructors at the Grapevine school, a good bunch of people.

So... to anyone coming accross this thread inadvertently, or to the original thread starter - you have to discover for yourself what style is in your best interest. Like others have said explore - but from somebody who is actually enrolled in the style, and has taken various others, it's definately worth giving a shot. There's no abracadabra to it, and one of the more well structured styles and affiliations out there, and that's saying a lot for any MA style that's been developed/comprised within' the last 50 years.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey QiGong, welcome to MartialTalk :wavey:

I think your post speaks volumes. Different schools are right for different people, and the fact that a school isn't one person's cup of tea doesn't mean that the school is not worth checking out.

Glad you joined us, I hope you stay with us to share more stories about your training. :asian:

Latest Discussions