Teaching Rug Rats

WHAT IS THE MINIMUM AGE FOR TRAINING IN YOUR CLASS?

• 5+

• 7+

• 9+

• 11+

• 13+

• 16+

Results are only viewable after voting.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD is a great way to start to teach young childern and I have been training my three since they could walk, now with that being said I teach them the sport aspect in the beginning the around 8 I start to teach them more traditional TKD and around 12 joint locks and more advance, childern need to get into the Art as soon as possible for once they hit a certain age they will not attend for it is not cool to do MA it is better spent in front of a TV or a video game.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We had a pretty large kids class but without a contract the kids parent's so easily yanked their kids out for other goings on, Summer T-Ball, swimming, camp, going to grandparent's for the summer. It got old fast. Plus many of the kids instructors weren't all that into kids. Patience is utmost and only a handful of people truely have the ability to deal with them. We have 1 ten year old who just made orange belt, he's been with us for a little over 2 years. He's a handful to say the least, and the one I figured wouldn't last til yellow belt. He's got no natural talent *at least he's not showing any yet*, he's an interesting character and unless his parent's move out of the area, I see him sticking with us for many years.

~Tess

Kamaria Annina

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love teaching the little munchkins. In the class I teach, the age ranges from anywhere to 5-14. Each kid is different, and I really enjoy figuring out what works for each person. Having a little brother (7 years age difference) really helps me in coping with some more energy active kids, but all in all, I really love teaching.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that my teacher does not normally teach anyone under 18. I think that he would consider kids as young as maybe 15 or 16 if he has met them and the parents, but right now the youngest person that regularly trains with us is 24 or 25 I think.

I think (as has kind of come up already) that he can get away with it, because he does not teach MA for a living. Also I believe that our art is really not right for kids anyway.

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to keep my classes to 18+,but I will take 16 if I think they can handle it.

From a legal stand point....I don't have much of a choice.
Since I teach a weapons based system, being swords and daggers and such, I can't really open it up to kids since there is a huuuge problem with knife crime here in the UK and it mostly stems from teenagers.
I do know of people who do teach kids the philipino arts...but I disagree with it.
Especially since they wanna add a mandatory 5 year sentence for using a knife illegaly.
And since even being in possesion of a knife outside the house is illegal................................................

OP
R

rmcrobertson

1. The problem isn't with the childishness of children.

2. There may be a problem with PRIVILEGED children, and their parents.

3. I've read several times now a claim that Morehei Ueshiba, on damn near the last afternoon of his life, was observed teaching kids.

4. Kids, unlike many martial artists, are honest.

5. Wassamatta U? Too good to get down there on your knees?

6. Has it ever occured that, for certain extraordinary people in the martial arts, a lot of us (myself absolutely included) look a lot more like kids than we're comfortable admitting?

7. Whoever's "fault," it is, treat it as a lesson whether it's a lesson or not.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
1. The problem isn't with the childishness of children.

2. There may be a problem with PRIVILEGED children, and their parents.

3. I've read several times now a claim that Morehei Ueshiba, on damn near the last afternoon of his life, was observed teaching kids.

4. Kids, unlike many martial artists, are honest.

5. Wassamatta U? Too good to get down there on your knees?

6. Has it ever occured that, for certain extraordinary people in the martial arts, a lot of us (myself absolutely included) look a lot more like kids than we're comfortable admitting?

7. Whoever's "fault," it is, treat it as a lesson whether it's a lesson or not.
Kids have an honesty about them as a result of being... well a kid. Given half the chance they will lie. Most of the time they are just obvious.
Sean

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I teach kids 7+, though there are 5-7 year old classes in our dojo, taught by other instructors. I LOVE teaching the 7-10 yo class. They'll try anything, they learn fast, they're eager to please, and I can see them developing into fine martial artists. I work basics, self defense, "stranger danger," appropriate behavior, respect for others, and sometimes games.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I voted 7+ because that's the age for the "Kenpo-kids" class at our studio. We have one called the "Little Ninjas" for ages 4 through 6.

I've been assissting in/teaching the kids classes for almost 2 years. Actually, a more accurate way of putting it would be to say that I got suckered into it almost 2 years ago :D. At first I wasn't too crazy about it but I've gotten to the point where I really enjoy it...most of the time. Some of the kids reinforce my belief that there are people who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. OTOH, some of them are really awesome and take it seriously. There are a few that move better than some of the adults that have trained for the same length of time.

Our rank progression for the kids class is a little different, we use half steps once they reach yellow (eg. yellow-black stripe, orange, orange-black stripe, etc.). It is possible to get to "Junior Black belt" but it takes a couple of years, we don't have 8-year-old BB's that can't tie their own belts. The curiculum is also slightly different, we teach the same techniques but they only have to learn 4 or 5 for each level in addition to their other basics (and we don't emphasise the destructive nature of the tech.). We also do a lot of "fun" stuff like running-jump-kicks, padded sword work, and grappling, etc. they really enjoy this stuff.

We emphasise Respect, Focus, and Discipline and it "rubs off" on other parts of their lives. I've had a lot of the parents tell me that their kid's grades have improved and that he/she gets in less trouble than they did before they started training.

I think that the kids definately benefit from the program. For me, teaching the kids has been an exercise in patience. It's definately not for everyone but I do think kids programs have their place.

digitalronin

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was at 3rd brown when I started to get into teaching kids. Kenpo can be hard to grasp because of the complexity of some of the techniques. My perferred approach was limiting the technique to one or two movements, then progressing to the next two. A less is more approach.

It often seemed that the teacher was more concerned that the kid got a rough idea of the entire technique, say 5 swords, than the first two movements. I guess a rough approach requires less time before promotions. This would satify the parents need to see the kid progress to the next rank.

Overall teaching kids is a great experience since it instills patience, humility, and communication on a different level.

OP
C

CrankyDragon

Bammx2 said:
And since even being in possesion of a knife outside the house is illegal.....
OMG, I couldnt stand that. I pack a .380 just about all the time (certified). Id have to move if I couldnt even have a knife. Time to start examining how you can use an ink pen in self defense!!

Andrew

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
My instructor teaches kids as young as 4 years old, but he calls that class "self-defense games". Krav Maga proper is taught to kindergarteners and up.

Latest Discussions