Teaching class again...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'm teaching class again. I have a regular day, wednesdays, where I've set aside some time to train family and friends in my art. Ever since I've moved, I've missed the opportunity to teach the martial arts. I feel like I have a lot to offer and that I do it well. This looks like it will turn into a regular thing and I'm happy about that.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations, John! Good to hear that you're teaching again. Hopefully I make it to Hawaii some day!

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nice to hear you are back teaching again. I hope everything is going well and you and your family have transitioned nicely to Hawaii.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats!
icon14.gif

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
You seem like somebody who has a lot to offer, with thought and philosophy behind the physical forms. Good luck!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice to hear you are back teaching again. I hope everything is going well and you and your family have transitioned nicely to Hawaii.

We are working our best at it. Some of the uncertainty is unsettling, but that seems to be working its way out. Now, I'm suffering from a major case of homesickness.

Summer is supposed to be turning into fall. It is supposed to be getting colder. We sight in our guns. We shoot our bows. We mend all of our tackle. The fall in MN is a sportsmans paradise and I miss it.

"Fall" in Hawaii is HOT. September is one of the warmest months we have and I'm just not used to the changes yet.

Teaching class is good news. Getting out surfing is good. Catching a huge monster eel is pretty cool too. I'm glad we are here, but it's different. It's going to take some getting used to...

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Now, I'm suffering from a major case of homesickness.

Summer is supposed to be turning into fall. It is supposed to be getting colder. We sight in our guns. We shoot our bows. We mend all of our tackle. The fall in MN is a sportsmans paradise and I miss it.

I would seriously miss the change of season so I hear you there. It has been warm here we still haven't had a freeze here in central Minnesota

"Fall" in Hawaii is HOT. September is one of the warmest months we have and I'm just not used to the changes yet.

Teaching class is good news. Getting out surfing is good. Catching a huge monster eel is pretty cool too. I'm glad we are here, but it's different. It's going to take some getting used to...[/quote]

How is the fishing in Hawaii? I spent 5 days on Oahu but didn't get a chance to fish. I did surf and got spanked bad LOL.

BTW there is a great spot for climbing if you are looking for a serious challenge-its really off the beaten path. It's called MT Kahala (not positive on the spelling) and it's considered to be a very tough climb. Soon as I heard about it I knew i was going to do it and that was the highlight of our 5 days in Hawaii. There is a group that does the climb 1-2 times a year if you are looking for a good challenge check into it. Even if you do the bottom portion the flora and fauna were awesome. We saw some birds looked like a large Pheasant but with multi-colored tail that were really cool looking.

If you want more info on Mt. Kahala there is a great book called the great outdoor adventures of Hawaii, but I'm sure you can find all the info there.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The fishing is pretty good here. Very different. I have a good chance of landing fish on shore that are over 100 lbs. This requires different tackle.

Where did you try surfing? I'm curious because there are certain places where you can easily get your butt kicked and other places where it's not so easy. Regardless, surfing is a workout. I never knew...

Where is Mt. Kahala? Did you go very far from Honolulu?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, sorry to interject, but congratulations on teaching again, maunakuma. Getting back on the horse in a new place is good for ye! Enjoy!

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear you're back in the swing of things. I never thought someone could be homesick in HAWAII, but I suppose, living in wisconsin for so long....

kyosa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We went surfing in a place called weamea bay ( no clue on the spelling sorry it's on the north west section of the island not far from a place we went scuba diving called the tables or 3 tables? The waves looked huge and I had a very nice guide who showed mercy on me or I probably would have really been spanked.

As for Mt. Kahala i think it was west central part of the Island. We had to get permission from the Dept of Defense or some government agency 2 property owners and the parks dept? we has to get permission from 4 different entities to make the climb and I remember it being very difficult even for Bruce Lafavor who just got out of army special forces.

Another high light of our trip was sacred falls that was pretty cool too

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good to hear you're back in the swing of things. I never thought someone could be homesick in HAWAII, but I suppose, living in wisconsin for so long....

I lived for 30 years in the Northland and I knew a lot of things. Moving to a place where I have to start over is more difficult then I thought it would be. On the other hand, I get to learn a lot of really cool new things. The ocean is something I've never really experienced in a deep way. I'm just scratching the surface right now...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We went surfing in a place called weamea bay ( no clue on the spelling sorry it's on the north west section of the island not far from a place we went scuba diving called the tables or 3 tables? The waves looked huge and I had a very nice guide who showed mercy on me or I probably would have really been spanked.

As for Mt. Kahala i think it was west central part of the Island. We had to get permission from the Dept of Defense or some government agency 2 property owners and the parks dept? we has to get permission from 4 different entities to make the climb and I remember it being very difficult even for Bruce Lafavor who just got out of army special forces.

Another high light of our trip was sacred falls that was pretty cool too

Waimea Bay? Holy Crap! No wonder you drank half of the ocean! That bay has some of the biggest waves on the island in the winter...

I think I know where Mt. Kahala is and I don't think they let people climb it anymore. Too many lawyers...