Teaching people with disabilities...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was approached by the company my brother works for and asked if I would teach a Karate class for people with disabilities. I'm very interested because I would be the only person in town to offer that and I think that it would be a wonderful opportunity for everyone involved. The particular disabilities involved or mostly developmental. They aren't so bad though. These guys are basically living in an assisted living situation, working jobs, and learning how to take care of themselves. The director of the company explained that she felt that they also needed to have some exposure to self defense. I think its a great idea. What are your thoughts? Do you have any advice for me? Please share!

upnorthkyosa

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The disabled are often considered easy prey. You'd be surprised how much they can learn, even those who are developmentally disabled. I don't know if "hardheadjarhead" (from here on MartialTalk) is still around, but he had a wonderful article on that very subject of how to teach those who are "challenged"--a very worthwhile read! There are a lot of tidbits in that article you probably can adapt to your teaching.

- Ceicei

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you still have the article? I'd love to read it!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you still have the article? I'd love to read it!

Yes I do have a printed copy. He also sent me a CD (of the article) as well. It was originally printed in a magazine... Let me dig it up and get back with you. I probably will also contact him to get his ok as well.

- Ceicei

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have two developmentally disabled students in my class - both adults, one with Cerebral Palsy, and the other with Downs' Syndrome. They both work very hard (the second more than the first), progress slowly, and absolutely love being part of the class.

The key to teaching students with developmental delays is to break everything - even little things that you think are simple - into the smallest possible steps. You need to keep the group small, and teach the things that you think are the most important for them to know. If you want to follow the standard syllabus, then you need to set up intermediates steps so that they can see their progress, which will be slower than students you are used to. For example, the two men that I have in my class test for intermediate belt ranks - instead of going from 10th gup to 9th gup, they tested for 1 stripe (9.5 gup, if you will), and then 9th gup, at two separate testings. One just tested last week for 6.5 gup - he was able to perform his tul with another person next to him, but not alone - when he can perform Do San alone, he'll test for the full green belt.

I accept a greater variation in technique from them; they both have coordination and fine motor problems, and are not able to perform techniques to the standard other students are held to - but they've both made great progress compared to where they started, and how many other people would stick with something when it takes so much longer? The man with CP started several months after another student who earned his BB in 5 years... and the man with CP is still a 7th gup; the BB has been gone for over a year, and the other man is still there.

I wrote my IV Dan thesis on teaching students with disabilities - ranging from short-term injuries to the man above with CP - I've attached it to this post.

Good luck, and let me know if you need more help/ideas.

Attachments

• $IV Dan thesis final.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 132

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did send him an email, so we'll see if he may log in here to add his feedback to this thread.

I finally found my copy of his article. It is in the magazine called "Palaestra" (a forum of sport physical education and recreation for those with disabilities). Anyway, this issue is from Winter 2005, Vol. 21 No. 1. There is a website, http://www.palaestra.com.

Although the article deals primarily with teaching TKD for children with autism, there are several ideas and excellent suggestions in it that could be applicable and adapted to fit other martial art styles, your teaching, and students' needs with other types of disabilities. I really liked his tips near the end of the article. Title of this article is "Tae Kwon Do for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder."

- Ceicei

IMP

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow... Great idea. I say go for it. I think it would be fun to help people with disabilities. It would be a great part of the class, and I could really help. I'm very friendly with anybody who comes to class.That's just my opinion, though. See you Tuesday!

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was approached by the company my brother works for and asked if I would teach a Karate class for people with disabilities. I'm very interested because I would be the only person in town to offer that and I think that it would be a wonderful opportunity for everyone involved. The particular disabilities involved or mostly developmental. They aren't so bad though. These guys are basically living in an assisted living situation, working jobs, and learning how to take care of themselves. The director of the company explained that she felt that they also needed to have some exposure to self defense. I think its a great idea. What are your thoughts? Do you have any advice for me? Please share!

upnorthkyosa

UpNorth,
As long as you got the HEART and PATIENCE and the WANT to work with them, then I say, GO FOR IT. Just be sure your Heart is there and not just for easy money, which I really don't see you as that type of person for going that route. Best of Luck with your decision.

Tang Soo!

Chris

JIKC-Kaneohe

White Belt
Reaction score
our karate dojo has an autistic teenager who has been training for 2 years. he really enjoys karate, and is doing well. the key for his training has been breaking down everything to the simplest steps, demonstrating so he can follow the example, and most of all, patience!

for example, we are working with him to learn how to use control when he spars with the lower rank students. he didn't understand the concept of control - he thought it meant to slow down. so our sensei has been showing him "control" by punching fast but not making contact, vs. "punch" where he makes contact. it takes repetition over several classes before the concept is learned, then it has to be reinforced.

another example is when we tried to teach him to make a longer stance - he couldn't understand what the instruction "make your stance longer" meant - but he did understand "move your front foot forward but keep your back foot in the same place."

two of my four children are autistic, so i'm familiar with this type of learning (it's called "applied behavioral analysis" or ABA).

Some other learnings:

- the other students need to be taught to respect these special students and their disabilities
- you need to have good communication with the parents to explain to them what you're working on. most parents of special needs children will reinforce what you're teaching outside of class.
- you also need to talk with the parents about whether they want the disability shared with the rest of the class. some parents are open, others prefer not to have the disability known. my personal preference is i want people to know what my child's disability is - but i respect those parents who may not want to have their child carry a label.
- my experience is with autism, but there are so many other disabilities. even with autistic children, each one has his/her own strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to adjust to each student and not expect them to adjust to you.

lastly, it has been very rewarding watching this student grow physically as well as with his self-esteem, and also in watching him gain the respect of the rest of the class. my sensei also told me that even after teaching for more than 35 years he learned something from this student.

best wishes on pursuing this program.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
teaching someone with a disability can be the most rewarding aspect for any instructor if they have the will to do it. There is no better feeling then watching someone's face light up when they get a new move down, or when they get a new belt tied around their waist. It also gives them a great sense of self worth where as a general society people with handicaps are looked down on. I would say go for it!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are in for a long hard but rewarding adventure.
Iy can br frustrating to teach the disabled but there is so much pleasure in their eyes when they learn it is well worth it

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for teaching students with ADHD who simply CANNOT focus? In addition, a few minor problems with anger....

We obviously have lots of methods for teaching them, but any tips to help me do it better would be appreciated!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips for teaching students with ADHD who simply CANNOT focus? In addition, a few minor problems with anger....

We obviously have lots of methods for teaching them, but any tips to help me do it better would be appreciated!

I've got one student who's either very mildly autist, ADHD, or both. The best thing that I've found is to acknowledge him, keep the class moving, and, when he needs a break - let him take it.

Latest Discussions