Teaching Beginners

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think it depends on the system when you are trying to show a beginner how a technique works... A technique basic enough to teach in the first few classes is probably not a good representation of what an average technique looks like in a given style.

My instructor used to ALWAYS start with a private lesson first with any new student to get the ettiquette and bowing in/out down first. He would show them a few stances, punches and kicks, not getting into detail quite yet, then he would demonstrate a couple techniques so the student can see what they will be learning.
This helps to make the new student comfortable with the teacher, getting the ettiquette down ( to help the new student with belting up and bowing in during a group class), and hopefully motivate the new person by showing a little of the material...

As for the gentleman that mentioned some early accomplishment, I like to teach a simple blocking drill the first "group" class or two, something that can be practice at home and is fun.

My .02

Jamey

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I start my students with their fighting stance and one or two (depending on the individual's ability to absorb material) simple simple self defense techniques so they can see how their fighting stance relates to a self defense maneuver. On the rare occassion the student picks up all of that (like my naturally gifted student) I introduce them to the overview of power from stance changes and show them stance changes and how to make a fist.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
dianhsuhe said:
My instructor used to ALWAYS start with a private lesson first with any new student to get the ettiquette and bowing in/out down first. He would show them a few stances, punches and kicks, not getting into detail quite yet, then he would demonstrate a couple techniques so the student can see what they will be learning.
This helps to make the new student comfortable with the teacher, getting the ettiquette down ( to help the new student with belting up and bowing in during a group class), and hopefully motivate the new person by showing a little of the material...

My last school did the same thing. A half hour intro lesson, designed to give the new student a taste of the art. I was primarily in charge of the intros, and it was pretty much like you mention above. There were a few times when I'd show a technique, but again, I wanted to focus on the basics first.

Mike

ChineseKempoJerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with Dark Kenpo Lord. Stances are very important. I teach the different stances, how to get into them, how weight distribution can feel from transition to transition, and why stances are important (the basis of most sytems is to break the structure "balance" of your opponent). My new students are very impatient, but I will not rush this. I do not show a technique until I know they understand this and some other key elements.

How do I get away with this? Answer - If they do not persevere in something so simple, how will they stay focused to learn the rest of the art?

Best Regards,

Jerry

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, it seems like the majority is in favor of stance work being the first thing that is taught. So, what is taught from that point? From that point, I feel that some of the basic blocks, punches and kicks sould be addressed. Of course, following along the same lines are building a good, solid base, the strikes should also be taught correctly with proper form.

Anyone else??

Mike

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree that emphasis should be placed on basic techniques (strikes, blocks, and kicks). Repetition of these forms part of the foundation for technically sound movement as one changes from stance to stance.

I think the next step would be understanding the concept of distance and how to adapt the techniques and stances learned to accomodate it. The ideal range for a kick is not the same as for a punch or for a throw and it varies with each technique. Front kicks and roundhouse kicks are not the same because of the difference in hip rotation.