Teachers Teaching off of Videos

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
It seems you know the back rounds of many arts!

This is good!

Now if you can take that multi thinking to say a level of multi self exploring!

I know it's hard!

Bruce Lee was rare & did it!

The problem is everybody has a school mentality and 'art' mentality. They think the different MAs are different, you have to study them in a school and follow a teacher -- all of that.

MAs are not really so different. There's only so many different ways to punch, kick, grapple, etc

There are two major problems with MA and that is a lack of understanding of basic physics, and a lack of serious hands on partner training.

A lot of MAs have a lack of understanding of basic physics. They do a lot of things in the school like have high stances, spar without hard contact, so they think when they use it on the street it will work. WRONG!!!

The other problem is that without being able to train with people and drill, etc., that you aren't going to get a lot of skill. But since people don't realize this, they don't put in the time.

It's very hard to find a school that has a lot of drilling and knows about basic physics, therefore what they do won't work on the street and they don't have skill.

About the only schools I can find anymore that have a basic (although still flawed) understanding of basic physics and train for hard contact and do some drills is MMA. That's probably because those are the only schools anymore where their students are actually doing any fighting. Unfortunately they do a lot of things that are bad for the street like don't guard their groin and neck and stuff because it's ring sports.

LOHAN

White Belt
Reaction score
This was a problem for most arts!

I know the Conetes have a standing saying!
We don't back down from a challange!

May be you can find a put up a place your self & train with
some one who might have passion for the arts as you!

It is hard to find some one---but not impossable!

This is just a thought!
I dont intend it to be answer!

It's could not hurt to open your own place!

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
This was a problem for most arts!

I know the Conetes have a standing saying!
We don't back down from a challange!

May be you can find a put up a place your self & train with
some one who might have passion for the arts as you!

It is hard to find some one---but not impossable!

This is just a thought!
I dont intend it to be answer!

It's could not hurt to open your own place!

Yeah somebody else suggested it, but I don't really want to do that.

Opening schools seems to do something to a lot of people whereby they get really money oriented. The fact that somebody has to lie, cheat and do things for money is just kindof repellent. Plus, you have to constantly sell the school to people. Salespeople are kindof repellent too.

I think I'm just going to retire from martial arts entirely. MA isn't really worth spending so much time and worry about, and honestly I've gotten tired of talking about it.

OP
L

lostinseattle

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I had a long talk this afternoon with an old friend that I used to train with back in the '80s. He was teaching then and a bit in the early '90s he had a school, but he closed it.

He said that he closed his school because he saw a disturbing trend which was the watering down of martial arts along with a trend towards teaching just for making money, and he said what he found was the students SUPPORTED this watering down because they didn't want to deal with sparring/combat and self defense techniques.

He said new students would come in with their parents and were more interested in forms for tournaments and 'character building' rather than actually learning a martial art for self defense.

In addition, he said they couldn't tell the difference between what he was teaching, which was more self defense oriented, and something that was watered down and didn't have a lot of practical applications.

So rather than trying to advertise and compete with watered down TKD and karate, he quit teaching.

So that's it. I formally retire from MA. I've had it.