tatami.... in the road again

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good day to all my folks here, I just step on the tatami again! Afther almost a year of been off it, but now with another flavor. Last monday I began Karate Do Shito Ryu classes... yes maybe for some of you this is something weird because karate and tkd in some aspects are alike, both are striking martial arts and yes both they are but with a little twist.

Did I gave up TKD? No, not really, TKD is to me a very good, however I don't get what I want in a TKD dojang, and believe me I have tried, bit every single dojang I have visited is plagued with kids and is sport friendly oriented lacking martial art way.

So I give Shito Ryu a chance and... so far till my second class it's nice, yes the stances are a little difernt, the way the blocking is ejecuted is a little diferent but it seems (don't want to futurice myself) the sensei undestood me and we are going to do it old fashion way.

First class we did basics and sensei taught me Hijiate Go Jo kata, it was not dificult with my background to grab this short kata, what is weird is the technike, I mean, the way a TKDoing executes for example a high block (ogul makki) is diferent th e japanese way, the stances and the names, but I feel with diligent work I will learn easily.

A friend of mine told me why I trew away my TKD Black Blet and became begginer in Karate and I answer him that I am not get rid of my TKD Black Belt, but I have to took measures because I wasn't get wath I was looking for inside TMD and had to fly to another martial arts system.

What do you think off?

El Manny

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The changes in the technique will probably account for less than the consistency of the training itself. I do the same moving from boxing to kickboxing to MMA.

So if you are in the right environment then you are probably in the right place.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good day to all my folks here, I just step on the tatami again! Afther almost a year of been off it, but now with another flavor. Last monday I began Karate Do Shito Ryu classes... yes maybe for some of you this is something weird because karate and tkd in some aspects are alike, both are striking martial arts and yes both they are but with a little twist.

Did I gave up TKD? No, not really, TKD is to me a very good, however I don't get what I want in a TKD dojang, and believe me I have tried, bit every single dojang I have visited is plagued with kids and is sport friendly oriented lacking martial art way.

So I give Shito Ryu a chance and... so far till my second class it's nice, yes the stances are a little difernt, the way the blocking is ejecuted is a little diferent but it seems (don't want to futurice myself) the sensei undestood me and we are going to do it old fashion way.

First class we did basics and sensei taught me Hijiate Go Jo kata, it was not dificult with my background to grab this short kata, what is weird is the technike, I mean, the way a TKDoing executes for example a high block (ogul makki) is diferent th e japanese way, the stances and the names, but I feel with diligent work I will learn easily.

A friend of mine told me why I trew away my TKD Black Blet and became begginer in Karate and I answer him that I am not get rid of my TKD Black Belt, but I have to took measures because I wasn't get wath I was looking for inside TMD and had to fly to another martial arts system.

What do you think off?

El Manny
I did this year's ago but in BJJ.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People will say (and already have said) that there's no point learning 2 striking arts but that's just silly just because they're both stand up styles doesn't mean you can't learn anything new. There's always different ways and viewpoints and even if you don't agree with all of them at least you'll get to see what they are

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tell people who ask which art is better all the time - pick a school, not a style. Who's teaching and who you train with are far more important than what style you learn. I've worked out with several excellent TKD guys; and I've seen a lot of kids' sport TKD being sold to adults. I've been around a ton of great karate people, and I've seen a lot of garbage.

Even within organizations there's variation. In the organization I'm in there are dojos that have a ton of kids and do a lot of competition type stuff. The dojo I train at is mainly people in their 30s-mid 40s who don't want anything to do with that. Our organization has an annual tournament that a few people compete in, but that's really just to change things up and more so to meet up with others in the organization.

Long story short, the school is far more important that the style IMO.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What do you think off?

El Manny

I think Shito-ryu is an elegant style with many kata available to learn and it can certainly be a good pursuit depending on one's aims. Keep in mind, it has a strong sport element also, so if your focus is entirely on realistic self-defense you'll need to evaluate if that is something you can get from this teacher and this school.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Shito-ryu is an elegant style with many kata available to learn and it can certainly be a good pursuit depending on one's aims. Keep in mind, it has a strong sport element also, so if your focus is entirely on realistic self-defense you'll need to evaluate if that is something you can get from this teacher and this school.

Somethin sensei and I are working on is the adult/tardictional martial art in this way, firsth of all I am not working out with the children but with one 42 years old beginner student, in fact sensei wants more adults to join the class, second, the adilts are training not for competition but in some kihon (basic) form, like hardening forearms,shins for example, basic drills and kata (for the moment). I have to admit that in some ways I feel very confy inside shoto ryu because the basic training is in some ways like the traditional TKD so it has not been dificult to grab the japanese technike... yes the technike is a little diferent than korena technike but I can get it easily, however the hand technikes are nice and the kicks are few for the moment (basic kicks).

As I wrote before I don't want to futirice myself, I jst want to train day by day and relax and have fun and learn something new, lets see if I can jejejejejeje.

El Manny

Latest Discussions