adaptation.... a dificult thing

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder why is so dificult to adapt from one style of ma to another when doing crosstraining.

Eder is a friendo of mine who is a second dan black belt in karate do shotokan, he's training TKD for almost 2 years and he will become a black belt in this ma probably next december. Eder is an outstanding partner and performer however his poomsae (taeguk) is very karate alike, I have been practicing with him in the past and even his TKD technike has improved I think he will never get rid of his karate training, for example his stances are very low his blocks are too shotokan his side kick is much much diferent from ours, etc.

Myself, training kenpo I can't get rid of my natural figthing tkd stance I simply can not do the kenpo fighting stance, my blocks are a little diferent than the kenpo and my kicks are TKD.

Why is so dificult to adapt to those things from one ma to another?

Manny

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if you have an OPEN MIND, its not that hard....

People who have a hard time "adapting" usually wont let go of the old ways they were taught.

It's like everything else, there are more than one way to do things, but people get "brainwashed" into thinking thier way is the only way.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's hard to overcome both muscle memory and instinctive responses that have been drilled into you over thousands of hours of training. Makes sense right? This is the whole point to training so the system feels natural to you and it will come out under stress.

Many here do not recommend cross-training in similar systems, such as karate and taekwondo because the potential of conflicting principles and material overlap is great. After all, do you really need to train Shotokan's version of the sidekick when you've already got a great Korean heel version?

I believe there is value to be gained from studying a striking system and a close range grappling system to be complementary to each other. Taekwondo and hapkido are a good fit together. The squabbling about whether hapkido technique encompasses TKD or not is just that: squabbling.

Similarly, karate and aikido/jujutsu work well together, and surely lots of Chinese styles have their own expressions of chin na included.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's hard to overcome both muscle memory and instinctive responses that have been drilled into you over thousands of hours of training. Makes sense right? This is the whole point to training so the system feels natural to you and it will come out under stress.

Many here do not recommend cross-training in similar systems, such as karate and taekwondo because the potential of conflicting principles and material overlap is great. After all, do you really need to train Shotokan's version of the sidekick when you've already got a great Korean heel version?

good point. didnt think of that..

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Myself, training kenpo I can't get rid of my natural figthing tkd stance I simply can not do the kenpo fighting stance, my blocks are a little diferent than the kenpo and my kicks are TKD.

This is slightly off-topic but an EPAK friend of mine once told me the neutral bow is the foundation for everything they do, including the base protection alignments, etc. Maybe someone who studies EPAK can chime in and confirm, but I think this is a fairly serious problem for your kenpo practice, Manny.

What do I know though? The neutral bow looks like a modified horse stance to me. :uhyeah:

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

I came here to say this. Hell, I have a hard time adapting within a single system when I'm corrected on something I've been doing wrong for weeks. Once it gets ingrained, it's hard to get rid of it

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Like anything in life, one must be willing to make the adjustments before they can actually do the adjustments.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder why is so dificult to adapt from one style of ma to another when doing crosstraining.

Dancing alone already covered the difficulty of cross training die to the repetetive muscle memory you have worked years to get. But to put things in a bit of a different perspective you might want to think of how it was when you first learned Taekwon-Do as a white belt. Would you ever think to ask why it was so hard to adapt then? After all, you didn't have any previous MA training then but were you doing everything easily right after your instructor told you how to do them?

I have fond memories of some friends of mine who used to train in Taekwon-Do. One of them was a blue belt (3rd gup) at the time and she was assigned to teach the other one Saju Jirigi - a fundamental exercise of "four direction punching" that beginners learn before they even get to actual patterns - when he was just a beginner (10th gup). I can still hear the gentle strains of her voice telling him: "Your left foot. Move your left foot. Your left foot! You do know your right from your left, don't you?"

As he told me later, "Well, I thought I did..."

And that was his experience when he didn't have years of training his body to move in the way prescribed by a different MA system.

Pax,

Chris

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Eder is a friendo of mine who is a second dan black belt in karate do shotokan, he's training TKD for almost 2 years and he will become a black belt in this ma probably next december. Eder is an outstanding partner and performer however his poomsae (taeguk) is very karate alike, I have been practicing with him in the past and even his TKD technike has improved I think he will never get rid of his karate training, for example his stances are very low his blocks are too shotokan his side kick is much much diferent from ours, etc.

Why is so dificult to adapt to those things from one ma to another?

Manny
How are you blocking differently?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is slightly off-topic but an EPAK friend of mine once told me the neutral bow is the foundation for everything they do, including the base protection alignments, etc. Maybe someone who studies EPAK can chime in and confirm, but I think this is a fairly serious problem for your kenpo practice, Manny.

What do I know though? The neutral bow looks like a modified horse stance to me. :uhyeah:
I disagree with what your friend said. I think kenpo, along with any other martial art is working out of a step through. In fact, if you think of an opponent absorbing your strikes, you are stepping even when punching.
Sean

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Either the neutral bow in American Kenpo or the "fighting horse" in Tracy kenpo are the core stances, everything else flows through those. If you can't hit those stances in the first two forms/kata you really won't progress much further, basics are just that, basics. The Tae Kwon Do walking stance or fighting stance isn't designed for close quarters where it is important to be able to bring both hands into play.

Becca

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I changed from another style of korean art to TKD just over a year ago. At first it was extremely difficult to exchange forms and stances I've used for six years for new ones but I got there.

I think it's all mind over matter (Or muscle memory!)

Latest Discussions