target cutting video

Chris deMonch

White Belt
Reaction score
Within budo in general and kendo in particular, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things. You'll sometimes see advanced people in the koryu who do things slightly different from eachother, but both ways are correct. This comes from them rigorously training the techniques of the ryu for years till they internalized it, only after which did they end up with their personal spin on it. The wrong way to do things in swordsmanship is very broad and the right way is very narrow, which is why it requires a teacher to do it correctly. Within that narrow field you can find your personal "way," but that comes after years of properly learning the basics. Try to break the mold too early and you'll just damage yourself and the techniques. The koryu often work to overlay the world view of the ryu onto the person, rather than the person changing the ryu to fit his/her needs (a common saying is that, "you change for the ryu, it does not change for you."). In this way you classes, where you interact with your sensei, sempai, and kohai, and immerse yourself in the world view of the ryu, are of tantamount importance.
In my day I've seen lots of potential kenshi and budoka make a big point of talking the talk before learning to walk the walk and they've always struck me as hollow budoka.

As to the video, it's nice. I generally like watching videos of paired kata (kenjutsu/kumitachi/kumi iai/whatever) more than anything. I'm also grateful for the fact that there's no video of me cutting anywhere on the net. I can get through the things I want to get through, but I'm far too nitpicky about myself to ever want a video like that up where everyone can see it.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Going slightly off topic here and addressing the "would you or wouldn't you have videos of yourself" issue. I think that is a personal choice really and is dependent on how you learn. Some people don't like to see earlier mistakes while others use videos to correct problems they have. They are somewhat more visual learners in the sense that they need to "step back" and see what they are doing from a third person point of view, where others learn better from being told or shown what needs correcting in what they are doing. This isn't just for sword cutting but I believe in a lot of stuff we do in life. So whether you want to put a video together of your first sword cutting, point sparring match or grappling session is truly an individual choice. If it helps you to understand the mechanics and "issues" in what you are trying to master, then go for it. If you are too self critical, then it is best left not to happen. :)

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey Lisa,
I understand what you're saying. There's a bit more to be considered in the Japanese koryu arts though. As Chris pointed out, in the classical arts the ryu, the school itself, is of overriding importance. Many parts of the training are never demonstrated in public. Anything that is made public is representing the ryu. To make a video of yourself training and then publicly display it without the express consent of the head of the ryu, is considered pretty rude in the koryu arts. The head of the ryu decides what represents the ryu in public.

So, the thought of beginners putting up public videos of their practice strikes a cord in those of us that practice the koryu. I can see why they would want to, and I'm sure it doesn't hurt anything. However, it still makes us shake our heads. :)
Here is a link to a cutting video clip of someone I consider to be an advanced practitioner of Japanese sword arts.
That's Tom Urso isn't it? He does cut fairly well. There is a caveat though. He is cutting Bugei wara, which are much easier to cut than tatami. Here's an article I wrote for iaido journal several years back that compares the relative cutting resistance of several types of cutting mats. ... http://www.ejmas.com/tin/tinart_smith_1103.html