Kendo, Kenjutsu, Iaido, Iaijutsu..Oh my...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am confused.

What is the basic differences between these arts and which would be the best for a beginner like myself to look into?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well Lisa it depends on what you want. Personally I love the combative applications of Budo Taijutsu's Bikenjutsu. (kenjutsu) There is nothing cooler in my opinion. If I was looking for a sporting art with the sword then Kendo would be great. ( I have practiced the Korean version of Gumdo in the past and it was a blast) I also had plenty of opportunity to work with Kendo practitioners as well. I love Iaido for the technique, skill and because it is like moving meditation when you get going with it. I have learned drawing skills in Budo Taijutsu, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido and some Muso Chokuden Eishin Ryu drawing as well. (almost identical) There are simply a lot of bladed arts out there other than the Japanese Sword. There is of course the chinese Gim plus the broadsword and more. Korean swordwork with the Gum. The Indian martial sciences also have plenty of sword and bladed work in them. Thailand has Krabi Krabong. Do not forget the Filipino arts or Indonesian bladed arts as well. Lots and lots to study and unfortunately so little time!
icon10.gif

I love them all, Iaido for its elegance and moving meditation. (plus effective quick and decisiveness) Gumdo and Kendo for the sporting applications. Budo Taijutsu and the Filipino arts for their bladed combatitive applications. The India and Chinese swordwork for their beauty and athleticism.

Really Lisa it all comes down to what you want out of them.

Practicality
Meditation
Sporting, etc.

Hope this helps.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Lisa it depends on what you want. Personally I love the combative applications of Budo Taijutsu's Bikenjutsu. (kenjutsu) There is nothing cooler in my opinion. If I was looking for a sporting art with the sword then Kendo would be great. ( I have practiced the Korean version of Gumdo in the past and it was a blast) I also had plenty of opportunity to work with Kendo practitioners as well. I love Iaido for the technique, skill and because it is like moving meditation when you get going with it. I have learned drawing skills in Budo Taijutsu, Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido and some Muso Chokuden Eishin Ryu drawing as well. (almost identical) There are simply a lot of bladed arts out there other than the Japanese Sword. There is of course the chinese Gim plus the broadsword and more. Korean swordwork with the Gum. The Indian martial sciences also have plenty of sword and bladed work in them. Thailand has Krabi Krabong. Do not forget the Filipino arts or Indonesian bladed arts as well. Lots and lots to study and unfortunately so little time!
icon10.gif

I love them all, Iaido for its elegance and moving meditation. (plus effective quick and decisiveness) Gumdo and Kendo for the sporting applications. Budo Taijutsu and the Filipino arts for their bladed combatitive applications. The India and Chinese swordwork for their beauty and athleticism.

Really Lisa it all comes down to what you want out of them.

Practicality
Meditation
Sporting, etc.

Hope this helps.

Yeah Brian that clears it up completely...:erg:

So Kenjutsu is combative
Kendo is more sporting
Iaido is Meditative?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well yes and know. Kendo is the sporting version but do not be fooled in that it could not be used combatively. (it is based off of the older schools of Kenjutsu after all) Iaido definately has some moving meditation going on but it is also incredibly effective and combative in drawing out the sword. The older Kenjutsu ryu-ha are definately combatively oriented and many of them have iaijutsu in their system as well. It is really to hard to simplify them all categorically such as sporting, combative, meditative.

It really gets confusing when looking at the different ryu-ha and all of the variations within them. Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido for example has several individuals right now who claim to be the highest or their students make this claim and apparently their are some differances among the lines.

Really you just need to look around and find an instructor that fits you.
For me personally the finest Japanese swordsman of this day is Hatsumi Soke. (he is awesome) However I am also studying some iaido in another ryu outside of the Bujinkan to gain deeper perspective.

Hope I helped and did not confuse you even more! :erg:

If you tell me what you are looking for I might be able to steer you in a certain direction or find training close to you.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well yes and know. Kendo is the sporting version but do not be fooled in that it could not be used combatively. (it is based off of the older schools of Kenjutsu after all) Iaido definately has some moving meditation going on but it is also incredibly effective and combative in drawing out the sword. The older Kenjutsu ryu-ha are definately combatively oriented and many of them have iaijutsu in their system as well. It is really to hard to simplify them all categorically such as sporting, combative, meditative.

Okay fair enough about simplifying them. I am asking more because I hear the different arts being named but have trouble following the subtle differences. I used to think swinging a sword was just swinging a sword. (I know, blasphemy!) But I am uninformed. :D

It really gets confusing when looking at the different ryu-ha and all of the variations within them. Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido for example has several individuals right now who claim to be the highest or their students make this claim and apparently their are some differances among the lines.

Well all the ryu-ha (ha) aside (excuse the attempt at humor please ;) ) This is one of my main reasons for starting this thread. To try and place what all the sword artists do? Combative, sport, meditation, etc.

Really you just need to look around and find an instructor that fits you.
For me personally the finest Japanese swordsman of this day is Hatsumi Soke. (he is awesome) However I am also studying some iaido in another ryu outside of the Bujinkan to gain deeper perspective.

Hope I helped and did not confuse you even more! :erg:

If you tell me what you are looking for I might be able to steer you in a certain direction or find training close to you.

I am probably limited to what is available here, not living in a very big city. Swords are cool. Swinging things is fun and I didn't do it enough when I was in karate. Not that it wasn't offered, just had family commitments and couldn't afford to take the time to do it.

Thanks Brian for your input. If you can think of anything else that will help me understand the subtleties (sp?)of the different arts. I would appreciate hearing them. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well with the Japanese based sword arts there is simply alot of variety. For instance, I was in a room with another iaido practitioner just the other day whose ryu is similar and a branch off the line that I am studying in Muso Jikididen Eishin Ryu Iaido. The differances were quite astounding. Almost to the point of shocking. The way I was drawing in comparison to the way he was drawing the sword was different as well as the way we returned the blade. I have watched other people do iaido and thought that cannot be possibly right only to find out later that this is how they do it in that ryu.

Certainly the way that Budo Taijutsu applys their sword work is different then many other Japanese sword schools. Lots and lots of variety. Swordlady studies I believe from Paul Manogue sensei in the Shin Kage ryu line. (I believe that is what she is learning) This is different yet even from the lines that I am attempting to learn.

However, things like how to make cuts at the right angle, how to hold the sword are pretty close between the different ryu's. There are some very nice clips of Suino Sensei on this page that demonstrate some Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido : http://www.artofjapaneseswordsmanship.com/video_clips.php

Here are some Kenjutsu clips from Yagyu Shingan Ryu Kenjutsu

You can see a little of Hatsumi Soke and Budo Taijutsu on this clip :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wksvKJ8-w4o&mode=related&search=mind body

Good luck! Hopefully you can find someplace to train it is after all alot of fun!
icon10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions