Japanese sword master deflects arrows with katana

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
when did we all turn into a bunch of people who stand around and say 'i coulda done that. it ain't that hard. besides he's cheating'
Hmmm ... I looked back through all the posts in this thread, and didn't find a single one that said that they could do it. In fact, the general consensus seemed to be that, while it was slowed way down to make it easier, it was still something that no one wanted to try themselves.
that was an impressive display of a skill that required time and dedication to develop.
Yup! But why waste the time and effort on a parlor trick other than ego gratification and, perhaps, help in making money.
i'm damned good and i don't even want to try that.
If you say so.
so it isn't the matrix in real life. it's still way wicked cool.
If you think so. I personally, wasn't impressed at all. I am much more impressed with good technique than I am with tricks, no matter how much practice a particular trick may take. Of course, that's just my opinion, and other's will no doubt differ.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
though as somebody who once tried to learn how to be a magician, i can tell you that even 'parlor tricks' are difficult to pull off.
Never tried any magic tricks, but I did run out of patience before I learned to juggle! :) I agree that the arrow thing is probably quite difficult to pull off with any consistency, just don't agree that it's worth the effort.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
fair enough. i ultimately decided making card disappear wasn't worth the effort, either.

thanks for keeping the disagreement civil. so many people don't.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thanks for keeping the disagreement civil. so many people don't.
If we all had the same opinions, there wouldn't be much for us to discuss! :)

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Link to video clip of a Japanese sword master using a katana to deflect arrows. Includes some tameshigiri.

I saw this on TV. Was wondering what they really wanted to show. I don't think that they wanted to show selfdefense. I guessing that what they wanted to show was more a kind of dynamic tameshigiri.

Not saying that that would mean that it was good. But it would validate a bit the reason why it was done like that. He would then show how to make a "clean" cut in a (semi) dynamic(moving) enviroment.

/yari

Latest Discussions