Tan Sao Structure

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
How to use and deal with pressure from your opponent without your Tan Sao collapsing..By keeping elbow anchored to your body this creates a stronger structure. By doing so your not relying on your shoulder strength but the whole of your body..This is whole body structure.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you need to resist your opponent's force when instead, you can be "soft" or "flexible" and borrow his force?
am not resisting his force.. am channeling his force or pressure into my joints and into the ground then sending it back up and into his center of mass which throws him away. this is an internal method..to do this you have to be soft and flexible but you have to connected to his core to do this otherwise your just playing with the hands.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you can be "soft" or "flexible" and borrow his force?
Agree! The only time that you use force against force is to run your opponent's down (WC term - forward pressure).

One time on the wrestling mat, I tried not to let my opponent's arms to touch my arms. No matter how my opponent moved his arms, I always moved my arms the same direction. In about 15 minutes, my opponent's arms could only touch the thin air. I had learned a lot in that 15 minutes.

For example, if you try to under hook my left shoulder, I just raise my left arm straight up. You will have nothing to under hook on.

Sometime I believe not to let your opponent's arm to touch your arm is also a very important MA training.

Last edited:

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing your videos! It’s nice to see new activity and fresh ideas on the forum.

A few over-arching considerations come to mind as I watch this video, such as:
  • How the shapes in Wing Chun are intended to be implemented in application; and what habits, attributes and skills are developed when the shapes are being drilled & trained.
  • How we define structure, and the universal importance of this concept within the entire Wing Chun system as a whole.
When utilizing taan sau properly as part of a Wing Chun action, like in response to an incoming punch or attack, I’m assuming you wouldn’t attempt to implement this method.

In your opinion, in what practical fighting application (not being used in a drill) would a taan sau need to resist the kind of static downward force you are demonstrating in your video?

Latest Discussions