defense against knife attack like this ...

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
what would you do

the one that happens at 53 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Be damn sure I stay out of jail ;)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Die, most likely.

-Rob

yup, as much as some people like to think that they can prepare for every possible situation, the fact is it is impossible to be prepared & on guard every second of every day.

the good news is that most of us aren't forced to live in close proximity to violent offenders, nor have we done anything (hopefully) that would give anyone reason to kill us. so unless a one-in-a-quadrillion psychopath walks into your gym chooses you at random as the guy to stab while you're on the dip bar, you're probably okay.

jf

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yup, as much as some people like to think that they can prepare for every possible situation, the fact is it is impossible to be prepared & on guard every second of every day.

the good news is that most of us aren't forced to live in close proximity to violent offenders, nor have we done anything (hopefully) that would give anyone reason to kill us. so unless a one-in-a-quadrillion psychopath walks into your gym chooses you at random as the guy to stab while you're on the dip bar, you're probably okay.

jf

It's like when a student asks you, "what do you do when ten guys jump you from behind and beat you with clubs and your hands are tied behind your back and you're blindfolded." The only answer is, "you get beat up. Badly."

Or when they ask, "what do you do when someone is about to punch you and they've already thrown the punch and it's an inch in front of your face and you're about to get punched in the nose." Well, you get punched in the nose.

You can't defend against everything, and when you get taken by surprise, and you're overpowered, and overwhelmed, and outnumbered, you lose. That's how it works.

And that's how it worked for the poor schmuck in the video.

-Rob

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
exactly. self-defense should begin well before you're anywhere close to getting attacked. the guy shouldn't have been in prison. once there, he should have made friends with nasty people, & stayed near them at all times. if he couldn't be near them, maybe he should have skipped doing dips that day. once you're surrounded by violent people, alone, & doing an activity that occupies your hands & your mobility, if someone attacks you with lethal intent they are probably going to succeed.

jf

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
its not over to its over , what about recovery and a counter ?

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
its not over to its over , what about recovery and a counter ?

I agree, but in this video, I'm pretty sure it was over.

But just for the sake of argument, let's look at the attack.

High inward hooking knife thrust to the neck/face area. If you see it coming in time to tuck the shoulder up, you can cover the neck and most of the head with it, protecting you from dying from the first strike. After that, maybe you can get your near side hand up in time to block the second stab, and counter with your far side hand.

Chances are you're still pretty torn up after the first few seconds, and when his friend jumps in things go from nightmarish to absolutely hellish, but you might survive long enough for the CO's to break it up.

Maybe.

Probably still dead though.

-Rob

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i wonder of krav M. got something it teaches against this

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know nothing more of Krav Maga than what I saw on a national geographic documentary. But from what I remember the instructor emphasised being on guard, thinking about possible scenarios and maximizing situational awareness. The Km instructor would say 'Don't let yourself caught like that'

I am pretty sure that he'd say that the victim could have avoided this by being smart. Once he was hanging there, not paying attention and letting the attacker stab him.... there was very little he could do. Pretty much the only thing he could do was to try and protect his vitals, and hoping that the COs got there soon enough to prevent him from getting killed.

Maybe a KM instructor would have had the time for a instant reflex. But if that knife attack succeeded, he'd bleed out like any other normal human being.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
what would you do

the one that happens at 53 seconds

Rule 1: STAY OUT OF PRISON!

Rule 2: If you don't manage to obey Rule 1 and end up in prison.....JOIN A GANG!

Rule 3: Make sure you and your gang friends know how to FIGHT!

Rule 4: Make sure you WATCH each others back!

Rule 5: NEVER DROP YOUR GUARD!

Rule 6: Don't let folks who are NOT a member of your gang APPROACH UNCHALLENGED ON THE YARD!

Rule 7: Have WEAPONS in case folks who are NOT A MEMBER OF YOUR GANG attempt to attack you on the YARD!

Last edited by a moderator:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seriously, those who are asking 'What would you do' presume that you're minding your own business, and this all BEGINS out of the blue at 0:53.......this started LONG BEFORE THIS!

Prison is a special place......knowing the prison politics, knowing who's got a grudge against who, who has a grudge against YOU, and ALWAYS being prepared for a fight, is part and parcel to surviving in that environment........this guy who got stabbed either knew someone was out to get him......or SHOULD HAVE KNOW someone was out to get him......and been ready with his own weapon when these guys approached.

Sound like a rough life......STAY OUT OF PRISON!

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Best way to dodge that attack is simple !! Just be a smart and good person and stay in school, stay out of trouble, don't get put in jail etc........ The list is long. There are numerous choices you can make to stay a million miles away from a situation like this. Proper judgment is the best option.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fighting against weapons are the same as fighting against an unarmed person, except if you screw up the consequences are worse.

Your enemy's body has to move the same way, he'll come at you from the same angle he would without a weapon, so do any technique, just don't get stabbed.

just move, hit, and turn. He'll fall down. You might be a bloody mess, but he'll fall down.

Last edited:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rule 3: Make sure you and your gang friends know how to FIGHT!

So, if you go to prison. Are you going to teach your gang how to fight? If they are not up to snuff when you arrive.

If I were going to be in that situation, as long as I had some foresight, I would try to get some type of clothing that is knife restistant. I know prisoners have limited supply, but they tend to be very innovative. I am thinking some leather or several layers of mattress fabric or even a laundry bag if possible. Then I would layer it as best I could and shape it to conform to my body as best that I could. Trying to make it protect my vital organs as much as possible.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When someone comes at you like that, there's not a whole lot you can do. It's like geting sucker punched. Best thing to do if you go to prison I would say is get thrown in solitary, then you don't have to worry about it.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, but a well trained martial artist should be able to pick up on the killing intent of another, or at least be aware of the situations he is at risk in.

Latest Discussions