Take down not used in UFC

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favourite takedown is the Capoeira Scissor Takedown which I haven't seen incorporated either, but it's be awesome too.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Against people that know and practice takedown defence, those techniques have a low success rate and open up the shooter to be taken down themselves with a reversal.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Against people that know and practice takedown defence, those techniques have a low success rate and open up the shooter to be taken down themselves with a reversal.
Why do you think this take down can be more dangerous than "hip throw" that you need to expose your back? IMO, face to face (non-body contact) throw is always safer than back to face (body contact) throw.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The knee tap is used fairly often in MMA. Check out Georges St Pierre and Dominick Cruz for some good examples. It’s not as common as the double leg, because the setups which work against a skilled opponent are more limited, but it’s a valid technique.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The knee tap is used fairly often in MMA. Check out Georges St Pierre and Dominick Cruz for some good examples. It’s not as common as the double leg, because the setups which work against a skilled opponent are more limited, but it’s a valid technique.
I don't watch a ton of MMA footage, but I'm sure I've seen this used in a couple I watched recently, but it didn't look too much like in that last video. Like many grappling techniques, it looks a lot less controlled. It almost looked like the guy was trying to get down for a standard single-leg, didn't make it, and they tripped together. But I think that's just what that knee tap looks like when it's moving fast.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because it is found in traditional karate and everyone knows that stuff can't work in MMA.
bubishi18.jpg

(This post is heavy on sarcasm by the way).

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't watch a ton of MMA footage, but I'm sure I've seen this used in a couple I watched recently, but it didn't look too much like in that last video. Like many grappling techniques, it looks a lot less controlled. It almost looked like the guy was trying to get down for a standard single-leg, didn't make it, and they tripped together. But I think that's just what that knee tap looks like when it's moving fast.
Here’s some video analysis that shows how Dominick Cruz sets up and executes the knee tap. The first part of the video covers his footwork and striking, but that’s part of the setup once it gets to the knee tap.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because it is found in traditional karate and everyone knows that stuff can't work in MMA.
bubishi18.jpg

(This post is heavy on sarcasm by the way).
Different technique. That one is conceptually closer to a cutback single.

I love how the fighters portrayed are looking away from what they are doing as if to make sure the artist is getting their good side. “Who cares if it shows the technique correctly. I need to make sure future generations know how handsome I am.”

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here’s some video analysis that shows how Dominick Cruz sets up and executes the knee tap. The first part of the video covers his footwork and striking, but that’s part of the setup once it gets to the knee tap.

Man, I know the point was the to show the knee tap, but damn that footwork and evasion tactics are a thing of beauty.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why do you think this take down can be more dangerous than "hip throw" that you need to expose your back? IMO, face to face (non-body contact) throw is always safer than back to face (body contact) throw.
Actually I didn't say it was more 'dangerous', I said it was less successful against people that practice take down defence in MMA. If it was highly successful, you would probably see it more often.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually I didn't say it was more 'dangerous', I said it was less successful against people that practice take down defence in MMA. If it was highly successful, you would probably see it more often.
The first one was just a single leg/ankle pick with forward momentum. It's not as low % /hard to pull off as all that..

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The first one was just a single leg/ankle pick with forward momentum. It's not as low % /hard to pull off as all that..
Single leg and ankle picks work. The technique in the first video, not so much. If the opponent wasn't compliant, that technique would not work very well.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Latest competitive rules for Judo makes hand attacks to the leg as a primary/initial an illegal move. The rules have an allowance for it as a counter or follow up ...sort of. But the effect was to ban the single, double, irish pick, etc.

That said, a lot of Judoka decided it was a stupid rule and ignore it in their personal training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Watching the first video, I'm wondering what the guy doing the takedown has planned to deal with a right knee or a right uppercut.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Single leg and ankle picks work. The technique in the first video, not so much. If the opponent wasn't compliant, that technique would not work very well.
Not if the guy is set to wrestle. If the guy is recovering from a kick or overextended punch taking a leg and toppling the top over works fairly often. I see variations of this in sparring sometimes, although it's not something I do.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Latest competitive rules for Judo makes hand attacks to the leg as a primary/initial an illegal move. The rules have an allowance for it as a counter or follow up ...sort of. But the effect was to ban the single, double, irish pick, etc.

That said, a lot of Judoka decided it was a stupid rule and ignore it in their personal training.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
When did this come about? And why? My assumption is for more flashy throws for the spectators, but im hoping im wrong.