Take a look at the 10 rules of Kempo?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Go to Eclipse's Kempo(yahoo) and read the rules of Kempo. Sounds alot like Bruce Lee's teaching? Bruce is usually credit for teaching/learning for your own ways of fighting ( Jeet kune Do). It seems Kajukempo has been doing this before he was born.

In most of my classes/ other schools we were always taught to adept to our body size and shape....If your teacher doesn't? Why? Maybe you should change? and When fighting different size people it makes sense to adjust your fighting skills.

Do you really believe Bruce Lee saw things other systems didn't see? There are some many Instructors who are still teaching before Bruce Lee, of combinations of styles within there own schools, and to fight that fits your body design. Longer legs-kick more..so on.

Take a good look at all the past systems and see/notice they all have change some what. (Old ways to today ways)

Universal(our system) came from Kajukenpo, and also from real street fighting. Lots of strikes and no one way to fight. Universal (all purpose)...Aloha

This is just my point of view.....thanks

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think most people would claim that Lee was the first to come up with the idea. Just that he strongly, prominently advocated it.

But there was more to his thoughts than adapting your style to fit different opponents. Very little of that was original either. It was an amalgam of his experiences. There's no sense getting bent out of shape about the fact that when he said things (whether they'd been said before or not) people listened.

Stuart

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally, I put very little importance into who said what first. It really doesn't matter to me. If this person or that person came up with whatever idea, it doesn't affect my training or annual income. What matters is whether or not I choose to adopt the principle; this will be a function of how broadly and how articulate the concept has been communicated, as well as how the concept fits into my martial art philosophy. In summary, whether Bruce Lee, the founders of Kajukenbo, or Bob Hubbard developed the idea is of no relevance to me in any way. The way I see it, its politics, and I'm not here for politics. :asian:

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Go to Eclipse's Kempo(yahoo) and read the rules of Kempo. Sounds alot like Bruce Lee's teaching? Bruce is usually credit for teaching/learning for your own ways of fighting ( Jeet kune Do). It seems Kajukempo has been doing this before he was born.

In most of my classes/ other schools we were always taught to adept to our body size and shape....If your teacher doesn't? Why? Maybe you should change? and When fighting different size people it makes sense to adjust your fighting skills.

Do you really believe Bruce Lee saw things other systems didn't see? There are some many Instructors who are still teaching before Bruce Lee, of combinations of styles within there own schools, and to fight that fits your body design. Longer legs-kick more..so on.

Take a good look at all the past systems and see/notice they all have change some what. (Old ways to today ways)

Universal(our system) came from Kajukenpo, and also from real street fighting. Lots of strikes and no one way to fight. Universal (all purpose)...Aloha

This is just my point of view.....thanks
In all honesty, it sounds like a sort of chip-on-the-shoulder thing - why should it matter? It's been said before, at least by folks here on MT, people don't treat Sigung Bruce as some sort of ascendant god-figure, but as someone who was thinking, learning, and working.

The JKD folks that I've met, at least, don't peacock around about how mighty Bruce Lee is or was, but work on developing their skills as best they can. I guess I've been lucky.

T

Troy Ostapiw/Canada

I have to agree with Flatlander, It is of little importance who said what first.
I do agree however that there were many instructors even before Bruce Lee who took an integrated non- classical approach to the martial arts. It just so happens Bruce was the most famous of those instructors. Any martial artist who adopts an and open minded philosophy to their training, and actually puts in the time to research and develop their art, will find themselves on a path that has been traveled on by others. There's nothing new under the sun. It is not uncommon for ideologies and research to crossover if your focus is reality based. If you have an interest in reality based fighting check out www.tonyblauer.com

He also has many ideas similar to JKD and others. Also check out Vee Arnis Jujutsu on your web search engine. Troy

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k. while yes bruce lee did create the idea of not teacheing a single techinque so you make everything up your self, for your body type and yadda yadda yadda, he did NOT make up the idea compltely. he drew it from Kempo. in kempo they teach you a bunch of techinques and then have you practice it in such a way that makes it effective for your body. but kempo, like jeet kune do kinda has the idea of 'if you make my style rigid with set ways of doing things you have changed my style, jeet kune do/kempo is all about change, and making things work for YOU, so it only will truely work for YOU'. but alot of stupid people have made a rigid unchangeing form of both. anouther style that, to a degree, does this is Coung Nhu. in Coung Nhu you take the techinques as you are taught them and then when you get a black belt making them work for you (person theory), but you had still better teach it the way it was taught to you. any ways that is the 2 cents of some one who has never done either style, or even seen either.

sweete Brighit bless your blade

john
ohh if you haven't yet check out that thing about canada out lawing martial arts

A

ave_turuta

coungnhuka said:
o.k. while yes bruce lee did create the idea of not teacheing a single techinque so you make everything up your self, for your body type and yadda yadda yadda, he did NOT make up the idea compltely. he drew it from Kempo.
Excuse me???
nixweiss.gif

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
what do you mean "excuse me" what did i do??????

Sweet Brighit bless your blade

John

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish people would stop making Bruce Lee this all knowing Martial Arts God. I'll be willing to bet good money that he'd probably wishes the same too if he were alive today. I'll even lay a small side bet that his widow, Linda wouldn't mind it either.

Granted that Lee was one of the moving influences of my own interest/journey into Martial Arts but he wasn't the only one. Over the years I've observed/read/studied/met-chatted with several MA masters of past and present. One of the things I've learned was that Lee wasn't the end all to MA. I have a lot of respect and admiration for Lee, especially at how he has still managed to keep influencing people today to be involved with MA. But there were and still are others who have made lesser, equal or greater contributions to MA as we know them today. Ed Parker is one, Remy is another for example.

Lee had an extensive library, he read heavily during his recovery from that back injury, (yes he wrote the Tao of JKD during that time too). He was a heavy reader before and after that time too. He majored in Philosophy. He also practiced a lot of what he read/learned. When you're reading someone else's work you're learning from them. When you're writing, you're putting in your views/understanding of what you learned.
Basically Lee was a very intelligent, insightful and chrismatic individual. He did a lot for MA but he didn't do everything for today's MA.

:asian:

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
kempo is all about change, and making things work for YOU, so it only will truely work for YOU'.

This I dont get, no matter what you learn you cant change the laws of physics, well I cant anyway, learn the principals of the move not the technique and it will work for anyone and everyone exactly the same.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k., i'll explain that to the best i understand. taekwondo, is really only effective for people of certian body types. meaning you have to have strong flexable legs, if you don't your out of luck. in shoalin you have to be very strong (atleast if you study in the shaolin temple in china), neither stlye is really goin to be very effective for anyone else. kempo and jeet knue do is about using YOUR strenghts how they work for YOU, not useing some elses strenghtes the way they work for that person. basicly kempo will teach you techinques, and a little later make them work for you with all your little x factors. were as jeet kune do, they will more or less say 'o.k. i'm going to punch you in the head, and i what you to block and hit me back' and the person punching will probly give you ideas on how to do that, but wont acctuly teach you. in fact Bruce lee stopped teaching jeet kune do when to many people started to think that their is some form of secirt to jeet kune do, or magic trick that he was teaching. because of this alot of the teachers began to teach jeet kune do as if it were a rigid tradtional art. that by the way is very much against what bruce lee beleived should be done. in fact one of Bruces' first students is teaching a style that is more based off what Bruce acctuly taught, called Jeet Kune Do Concepts. but once again that is the understanding of one is unknowing, so take for what it is worth (which is very little).

John

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
jeet kune do, they will more or less say 'o.k. i'm going to punch you in the head, and i what you to block and hit me back' and the person punching will probly give you ideas on how to do that, but wont acctuly teach you.
I encourage you to seek out JKD instruction before expounding your opinion on JKD teaching methods. What you are suggesting is that the JKD student teaches him/herself as opposed to receiving instruction from a teacher, and that is simply untrue and misguided. I'm not sure from where you have acquired your perceptions of JKD, but I can tell you that they are either woefully inaccurate or have been poorly communicated to you.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
that is how it was explained to me from books, shows on jeet kune do and Bruce Lee, and the like. if that is wrong then i am sorry. and if youy read the end of my post you would notice that i have no formal intruction in either style. and while i meant take kempo i don't think i would be interested in taking Jeet Kune Do, to much politlics in the style it self over who is teaching it corectly.

John

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
he drew it from Kempo. in kempo they teach you a bunch of techinques and then have you practice it in such a way that makes it effective for your body. but kempo, like jeet kune do kinda has the idea of 'if you make my style rigid with set ways of doing things you have changed my style, jeet kune do/kempo is all about change, and making things work for YOU, so it only will truely work for YOU'.
He didn't really draw that from kenpo though. I think that mindset, adapting things to you, is as old as the hills. Hell, talk to any decent boxing coach (boxing having been around for ages) and they'll talk about you developing your own style and piecing together an approach to boxing that suits you. (And Bruce Lee actually studied boxing, as opposed to kenpo.)

Stuart

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
o.k. this is getting irritating. for now on i ant you people to COMPLETLY read what i write, like the part at the end about how that is how i understand it. o.k. i don't know i every thing about him, i don't really care!! o.k. if i'm wrong fine, but tell a thousand times. and besides, when i did boxing i wasn't tol, to make it work for my body type. and i haven't been told that since i did coung nhu. kempo and jeet kune do are thge only styles that i have come across that do that. and it was explained to me that bruce lee read a book about kempo and liked the idea. i never saide he did kempo, i don't know what he did i don't really care. o.k. back off. and the next person to correct me about something i would appreicate if they acctuly did that style.

John

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
o.k. this is getting irritating. for now on i ant you people to COMPLETLY read what i write, like the part at the end about how that is how i understand it. o.k. i don't know i every thing about him, i don't really care!! o.k. if i'm wrong fine, but tell a thousand times. and besides, when i did boxing i wasn't tol, to make it work for my body type. and i haven't been told that since i did coung nhu. kempo and jeet kune do are thge only styles that i have come across that do that. and it was explained to me that bruce lee read a book about kempo and liked the idea. i never saide he did kempo, i don't know what he did i don't really care. o.k. back off. and the next person to correct me about something i would appreicate if they acctuly did that style.

John
"ant", "tol" "thge" "saide" "acctuly"

What language are you typing mate? Maybe folks would understand you better if you took the time to spell check, proof read and use proper grammer.

It is "I", not "i"

What does "i don't know i " mean?

If people do not understand you, it is not their fault, but your own. In any event, you are in no position to demand, anything. I suggest you learn to communicate, and take a more respectful tone when doing so.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.

Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Thalia Brine-
-MT Moderator-

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:

John
Sheesh! Here I thought this was a discussion forum. You don't want feedback, you won't get it from me. I've seen you blow your stack a couple of times now. And honestly, it's not fun for me to get that reaction. So don't worry yourself about it any further. I won't respond to your posts. Fair enough?

Stuart

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
The Kid needs to read this: 7 Easy Ways to Online Respect or, The Dummies Guide to Forum Behavior. It's located in the support forum here.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
my point is every time i type something most of the people who respond, are telling me the same thing, which is how very stupid i am, or that is at least the idea i'm getting from you people. and forgive me for not being able to spell very well.

John

Latest Discussions