TaeKwonDo and hip surgery prevelance

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I wrote before without going into details. There are certain types of cancer that a particular "race" (call it what you want, it's just semantics) is MUCH more susceptible to. There is no two ways around this and no amount of social science extrapolations can circumvent it. If this does not satisfy a race distinction, then I don't know what does.
First, please give me an example of the cancer you are thinking of, so we can begin on the same page.

Second, there can be distinctive genetics within ethnic populations, but that too is not absolute. There are gradations, there is no way to draw a clear line geographically where these distinctions within the population begin and end. People intermingle and intermarry and have children and mix all that up. Nothing about this supports the identity of three “races” one of which has larger and more durable joints than the rest. That is what I was commenting on.

Variations within and between ethnic groups? Of course there are.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[.
First, please give me an example of the cancer you are thinking of, so we can begin on the same page.

Second, there can be distinctive genetics within ethnic populations, but that too is not absolute. There are gradations, there is no way to draw a clear line geographically where these distinctions within the population begin and end. People intermingle and intermarry and have children and mix all that up. Nothing about this supports the identity of three “races” one of which has larger and more durable joints than the rest. That is what I was commenting on.

Variations within and between ethnic groups? Of course there are.

Just a fww examples.

Prostate Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity
African American men are significantly more likely to be diagnosed with and die from prostate cancer than white men. In comparison, Asian-American and Hispanic/Latino men have a low risk.

Lung Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity

"Most cases of lung cancer are attributed to cigarette smoke and exposure to radon and other harmful substances. Overall, the population most likely to be diagnosed with lung cancer is African American men. One might think it’s because African Americans smoke more, but that is not the case. Research suggests that white men are actually more likely to be smokers and to smoke more often than black men."

Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity – Regional Cancer Care Associates

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
[.

Just a fww examples.

Prostate Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity
African American men are significantly more likely to be diagnosed with and die from prostate cancer than white men. In comparison, Asian-American and Hispanic/Latino men have a low risk.

Lung Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity

"Most cases of lung cancer are attributed to cigarette smoke and exposure to radon and other harmful substances. Overall, the population most likely to be diagnosed with lung cancer is African American men. One might think it’s because African Americans smoke more, but that is not the case. Research suggests that white men are actually more likely to be smokers and to smoke more often than black men."

Cancer Risks by Race/Ethnicity – Regional Cancer Care Associates
Fair enough. The lung cancer link indicates that it is unknown why African Americans are more likely to get lung cancer, but point to social-economic reasonable as being at least part of the reason why they have higher mortality rates from it.

But your point is taken, I don’t disagree with it. As I stated earlier, there is variation between populations.

My initial comment on this tangent was that there are no “three races” and that one of them has larger and stronger joints. That is an outdated concept and is not in line with current scientific thought. That was the point I intended to make. I never intended to suggest that there is no variability found within and between ethnic groups and populations. Is this something you would agree with?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I wrote before without going into details. There are certain types of cancer that a particular "race" (call it what you want, it's just semantics) is MUCH more susceptible to. There is no two ways around this and no amount of social science extrapolations can circumvent it. If this does not satisfy a race distinction, then I don't know what does.
thays just using the amerovan cats as races,,,

are afro american a race in their own right, ? if so, then we have already exceeded the 3 classess, if not, why is that report sugesting they are ?

Last edited:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a relatively young practitioner (30) around older practitioners with hip surgery, I get the sensation that father time is just waiting me out.

Why are TKDoins so injury prone and are there ways to medigate that? For an example, if I try to keep my weight as low as possible, will that reduce the risk of kicking related injuries?

I pracitised spinning hook kick quite a bit with shoes (by myself, in my 40's), and found that the whip action would eventually give me a sore hip. I ended up kicking worse with my "good" leg because that's the one I liked to practise, I had no soreness in my hip on the "bad" leg side.

I saw the writing on the wall, and cut way back. I limit kicks to light kicks, or maybe only a dozen fast, and no more for the day. My hip feels good again, but I can't see myself in a TKD class again, where we do the same kick over and over...and over.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I pracitised spinning hook kick quite a bit with shoes (by myself, in my 40's), and found that the whip action would eventually give me a sore hip. I ended up kicking worse with my "good" leg because that's the one I liked to practise, I had no soreness in my hip on the "bad" leg side.

I saw the writing on the wall, and cut way back. I limit kicks to light kicks, or maybe only a dozen fast, and no more for the day. My hip feels good again, but I can't see myself in a TKD class again, where we do the same kick over and over...and over.

Spinning hook kick has been the bane of my existence. It's not the turn itself but enganging the hips with the spin at the same time and then hooking off the foot. I finally got it down. Now all that's left is to polish up the details.

I don't care what anybody says, spinning hook kick is the most difficult standing kick in TaeKwondo:)There's a reason you don't see it until a 3rd Dan pattern.

So far so good for me. I don't feel a thing

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My initial comment on this tangent was that there are no “three races” and that one of them has larger and stronger joints. That is an outdated concept and is not in line with current scientific thought. That was the point I intended to make. I never intended to suggest that there is no variability found within and between ethnic groups and populations. Is this something you would agree with?

I don't know enough to form an opinion on that. I don't see why it would be unreasonable. It has been established that certain races seem to have an in-born advantage when it comes to sprinting, to name just one thing.

I have only grown up among caucasians, and I'm one myself, and each school i ended up in, I and at most one other guy were ten times faster sprinters then everybody else. So rare was it that I even declared myself the fastest sprinter when joining a new class, like a complete douche. And then I went ahead and proved it:)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know enough to form an opinion on that. I don't see why it would be unreasonable. It has been established that certain races seem to have an in-born advantage when it comes to sprinting, to name just one thing.

I have only grown up among caucasians, and I'm one myself, and each school i ended up in, I and at most one other guy were ten times faster sprinters then everybody else. So rare was it that I even declared myself the fastest sprinter when joining a new class, like a complete douche. And then I went ahead and proved it:)
Ok, I think we are straying into dangerous territory here. I guess the question I ought to ask is, did you read the anthropology piece I linked to?

The point is, the three races bit was actually developed as a theory in the 1800s (if memory serves) and was based on the notion that these three races displayed physical traits that were identifiable within the particular race. Traits such as cranial capacity and by extension, brain size were big deals within the theory. As you can imagine, this theory was developed by a white guy and he claimed that the “caucasoid” race had larger cranial capacity than the others and this kind of thing was used to claim the white people were superior to the others and thereby rightfully held higher status within society, and justified slavery and such. Of course the data was nonsense and was cherry-picked to support the desired conclusion. It is not possible to establish races based on this kind of description, it is just unsupportable and today is recognized for the racism that it is.

Additional information about human “races” can be found here.

Biological Races in Humans

The term can be used in cultural and ethnic ways, but is meaningless biologically, when talking about humans. When we are talking about a physical feature such as a “race” of humans having larger joints, that is talking biologically and is meaningless.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ok, I think we are straying into dangerous territory here. I guess the question I ought to ask is, did you read the anthropology piece I linked to?

The point is, the three races bit was actually developed as a theory in the 1800s (if memory serves) and was based on the notion that these three races displayed physical traits that were identifiable within the particular race. Traits such as cranial capacity and by extension, brain size were big deals within the theory. As you can imagine, this theory was developed by a white guy and he claimed that the “caucasoid” race had larger cranial capacity than the others and this kind of thing was used to claim the white people were superior to the others and thereby rightfully held higher status within society, and justified slavery and such. Of course the data was nonsense and was cherry-picked to support the desired conclusion. It is not possible to establish races based on this kind of description, it is just unsupportable and today is recognized for the racism that it is.

Additional information about human “races” can be found here.

Biological Races in Humans

The term can be used in cultural and ethnic ways, but is meaningless biologically, when talking about humans. When we are talking about a physical feature such as a “race” of humans having larger joints, that is talking biologically and is meaningless.

It is not meaningless biologically. I linked to the Hispanic paradox. They have controlled for social factors and still found signficant differences in genes. I don't know enough about the data on anatomy to form an opinion

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not meaningless biologically. I linked to the Hispanic paradox. They have controlled for social factors and still found signficant differences in genes. I don't know enough about the data on anatomy to form an opinion
As I keep saying, there is genetic diversity both within populations and between population. But that is not the same thing as saying that the “Mongoloid race” a”has larger and stronger joints than the other races, or that the “caucasoid race” has a larger cranial capacity and therefor larger brains and therefor greater intelligence, and is therefor superior to the others.

Once again, go read the two articles that I linked. If you won’t read those, I don’t think we can continue this discussion. I’m trying to give you a baseline education on this topic.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I keep saying, there is genetic diversity both within populations and between population. But that is not the same thing as saying that the “Mongoloid race” a”has larger and stronger joints than the other races, or that the “caucasoid race” has a larger cranial capacity and therefor larger brains and therefor greater intelligence, and is therefor superior to the others.

Once again, go read the two articles that I linked. If you won’t read those, I don’t think we can continue this discussion. I’m trying to give you a baseline education on this topic.

I will not read social science articles. It is not science.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will not read social science articles. It is not science.
What is your issue with anthropology? When it comes to studying the evolution of the human body, and differences in the body across population groups, they are the science, that is their arena.

And the second article was with the NIH.

Seriously, what is the problem?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is your issue with anthropology? When it comes to studying the evolution of the human body, and differences in the body across population groups, they are the science, that is their arena.

And the second article was with the NIH.

Seriously, what is the problem?

It is agenda driven. Even The Mismeasure Of Man was too, so natural scientists aren't innocent. If the science is uncomfortable, they change the rules.

"The book received many positive reviews in the literary and popular press, but the reviews in scientific journals were, for the most part, highly critical.[4]Literary reviews praised the book for opposing racism, the concept of general intelligence, and biological determinism.[4] Reviews in scientific journals accused Gould of historical inaccuracy, unclear reasoning, and political bias.[4] "

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"The field of metascience has revealed significant problems with the methodology of psychological research. Psychological research suffers from high bias,[203] low reproducibility,[204] and widespread misuse of statistics.[205]These finding have led to calls for reform from within and from outside the scientific community.[206]

Confirmation bias
In 1959, statistician Theodore Sterling examined the results of psychological studies and discovered that 97% of them supported their initial hypotheses, implying a possible publication bias.[207][208][209] Similarly, Fanelli (2010)[210] found that 91.5% of psychiatry/psychology studies confirmed the effects they were looking for, and concluded that the odds of this happening (a positive result) was around five times higher than in fields such asspace- or geosciences. Fanelli argues that this is because researchers in "softer" sciences have fewer constraints to their conscious and unconscious biases."

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is agenda driven. Even The Mismeasure Of Man was too, so natural scientists aren't innocent. If the science is uncomfortable, they change the rules.

"The book received many positive reviews in the literary and popular press, but the reviews in scientific journals were, for the most part, highly critical.[4]Literary reviews praised the book for opposing racism, the concept of general intelligence, and biological determinism.[4] Reviews in scientific journals accused Gould of historical inaccuracy, unclear reasoning, and political bias.[4] "
What is your point with this post? I made no reference to that book in any way.

We are talking about simple genetics. Anthropologists have a good understanding of the topic as well as biologists. Physical anthropology is also known as biological anthropology.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is your point with this post? I made no reference to that book in any way.

We are talking about simple genetics. Anthropologists have a good understanding of the topic as well as biologists. Physical anthropology is also known as biological anthropology.

I just told you. A Mismeasure of man deals with anatomy in this very sensitive subject and was hammered by the scientific community, contrary to what you espoused.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just told you. A Mismeasure of man deals with anatomy in this very sensitive subject and was hammered by the scientific community, contrary to what you espoused.
I haven’t read the book. I don’t claim it is accurate or not accurate. I don’t know one way or the other. I have not pointed to it as an authoritative source. As I said, I haven’t read it. The sources I linked to were the American Anthropological Society and the National Institute of Health.

I have no idea what your message is. Do you believe the categorization of humans into the three races of caucasoid, negroid, and mongoloid, and based on physical traits is legitimate and accurate? How would you describe the science behind that?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The field of metascience has revealed significant problems with the methodology of psychological research. Psychological research suffers from high bias,[203] low reproducibility,[204] and widespread misuse of statistics.[205]These finding have led to calls for reform from within and from outside the scientific community.[206]

Confirmation bias
In 1959, statistician Theodore Sterling examined the results of psychological studies and discovered that 97% of them supported their initial hypotheses, implying a possible publication bias.[207][208][209] Similarly, Fanelli (2010)[210] found that 91.5% of psychiatry/psychology studies confirmed the effects they were looking for, and concluded that the odds of this happening (a positive result) was around five times higher than in fields such asspace- or geosciences. Fanelli argues that this is because researchers in "softer" sciences have fewer constraints to their conscious and unconscious biases."
What is the relevance of this? Who brought psychology into the discussion. It wasn’t me...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough. The lung cancer link indicates that it is unknown why African Americans are more likely to get lung cancer, but point to social-economic reasonable as being at least part of the reason why they have higher mortality rates from it.

But your point is taken, I don’t disagree with it. As I stated earlier, there is variation between populations.

Look, you go schooled. Why don't you just admit you were wrong and go on. All you are doing now is mincing words and further hijacking the thread.

Latest Discussions