Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
taekeuk4.jpg

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those!

Looks like pages from the same book as the Jang Kwon description I have.

R. McLain

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for posting those!

Looks like pages from the same book as the Jang Kwon description I have.

R. McLain

no problem ;-)
It surprises me more people dont try to re-create Hwang Kee's TKK, we know that it is Yang 88, so take that, and combine it with the info in these pages and it could be something nice, maybe even almost accurate...
To me, it would seem that TKK was more important to Hwang Kee than SRJK anyway, the influence is obvious in his Chil Sung series...just look at the first couple movements in Il Ro ;-)
take care,
--josh

Mr. Daly

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the translation of the text. As a student of an independant association of Moo Duk Kwan Karate (Tang Soo Do - Tae Kwon Do) I had learned many of the advanced forms before my instructor left Wyoming. Finding and learning the complete system as it was in 1972 has been a goal of mine since then.
I have found that many people do the advanced hyungs differently. In the past I have compared the Korean versions with the Okinawan versions and Chinese versions to better understand the hyungs. It is my opinion that KJN Hwang Kee borrowed these patterns, but adapted them to his previous Soo Bahk Ki, Tae Kyun and Kwon Bup techniques to make the Korean versions of these hyung. I believe this was primarily due to the fact that his original ancient Korean arts were mostly oriented towards military drills of the ancient Korean army and therefore mostly a series of linear techniques. More elaborate karate kata and Gung Fu Kwin were already familiar to the Koreans of his day and it was a logical step in his development of Tang Soo Do.
I have also found that there are many "hidden techniques" in the hyung which involve hapkido/yudo, korean chin na, and tai chi styled defences.
A number of the hyung also have weapons versions in Okinawan Kobu-Do.

Mr. Daly

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the copy of SoRimJangKwan and for the pages of TaeKuekKwon. These look very much like what I have seen with the Yang long form. A good source for the defensive applications is the book Chen Style Taijiquan by Zhaohua Publishing. You have been a great blessing to me.
Also I would like to take you up on your challenge. By using Shaolin Chang Chuan form and the description you have supplied, I believe that we can come up with a reasonable reconstruction of SoRimJangKwan. If you know of any other sources that would help, let me know.

Your fellow student of the Arts,

Don Daly

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
You can find old film/video and photos of Kim Pyung-soo demonstrating Jang Kwon in the US since the late 1960's. He used to demonstrate that form around the US (Henry Cho's tournaments, IJ Kim's tournaments, etc.) with Kang Rhee. In the July 2005 issue of Taekwondo Times Magazine, he was featured in an article and one photo has he and his son demonstrating Jang Kwon.

But, from what I've been able to gather, it is doubtful that version is the same as the version MDK instructors are looking for. As the first Korean correspondent to Black Belt Magazine (1964-68), he had the opportunity to visit many schools in S. Korea. He told me on numerous occasions that he never saw or heard of any MDK school teaching a version of Jang Kwon in Korea or the US.

But, as a resource for your research you can always contact Grandmaster Kim Pyung-soo directly. http://www.kimsookarate.com

R. McLain

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not know if anyone still checks this thread, but I hope to have a written copy of my interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwan on this thread this week.
I am about ready to give you my interpretation of the English translation that Master Josh put on this thread for us all to see. I have been doing this form for over a year now, but have kept changing it, and modifying my interpretation to make it as close as I can to what I believe it is describing. Having been out of active training for quite awhile due to health issues, it will be a little while longer before I put it on Youtube. I never did get any responses from Len Losik on the form, so I have no idea whether it looks at all like his pictures. If you have seen the original of this form, please critic what I have done and correct my mistakes on this thread, or send them to me at [email protected]. Tang Soo!

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is page 1 of my interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwon:

An Interpretation of the So Rim Jang Kwon Hyung

by Donald W. Daly

The notes behind numbers in parenthesis are from an English translation of the original Korean version of Grandmaster Hwang Kee's Text: Soo Bahk Do Dae Gham that has been placed on the Internet1 . Mr. Daly's interpretation from that English translation is in Italics2 with suggestions for added techniques in brackets3 . Mr. Daly has supplied numbers without parentheses for his interpretation4. Obvious typographical errors have been corrected and some of the sentences have been edited for better understanding with added words in Italics.

(1) This hyung (routine) has the same yun moo sun (pattern) as a Naihanji (Ne Boo Jin / Chul Ki) hyung, but it's motion starts more from the middle than Naihanji, also moving toward the left (east) and upward (north).

Facing South:
(2) The ready stance is in triangle stance and relaxed.
Choon bee jaseh (normal ready stance),

(3) Facing front, raise elbows in horizontal position.
So Rim Jang Kwon choon bee jaseh,

(4) This form starts with the extension of the right hand.
1. a. (Continuing from previous stance) right upper back knife-hand (to south),

(5) The left hand hits the right hand at the point and then the hands cross each other, move hands toward the right center.
b. L. back-hand slap under r. hand, lift into upper knife-hand x-block, twist into left over right fists (chambered) above r. hip,

(6) Make one step to the right, face front, raise elbows in horizontal position (same as #3).
2. R. step west into south facing ride horse stance, with rising side elbow attacks,

(7) The body and eyes face the same direction. Turn left (east) and lift the right leg to left (east) side take 1 step and face front (south) of form...both hands will be raised
3. Cross right foot over left into cross-stance with raised arms [outside to inside blocks],

(8) Keep the left side same, step to a horse stance with the left hands in fighting stance.
4. Left step into east facing side horse-stance with reinforced left middle hammer-block,

1 Thanks to Grandmaster Charles Ferraro for providing the English translation, and to Master Daniel Sagarra for posting it on the Internet so that "Warrior-Scholars" from other Tang Soo Do schools could pursue enlightenment. Also thanks to Master Josh Pasceiwitz who reposted the translation on "Martial Talk". Grateful acknowledgment to Master John Hancock who wrote "Quest for the Truth" and for putting the Cheul Kwon and Jang Kwon Hyungs (kwon bop hyungs thought to be the sources of So Rim Jang Kwon) on YouTube. Thanks to Pa Sa Ryu stylist Tim Baker who posted the Kwon Bop version of So Ho Yun (a form which is said to be very similar to So Rim Jang Kwon), and J. P. Istella who posted another "Sippalki" version of the Kwon Bop hyung - Jang Kwon. So Rim Kwon Bop video of Dahm Toi Ship-Ee Ro (Tan Tui) by Master James Theros was also studied as a source of techniques of So Rim Jang Kwon.
2 This interpretation is based on an assumption that the notes in Soo Bahk Do Dae Gam describe the "skeleton" of the form without a complete "fleshing out" of every technique.
3 Additional resources for techniques include the books: Tang Soo Do (Soo Bahk Do) Moo Duk Kwan vol. 1 & 2 by Grandmaster Hwang, Kee, Tang Soo Do by Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee, Tae Kwon Do by Grandmaster Richard Chun, Shaolin Long Fist Kung Fu by Yang Jwing Ming & Jeffery A. Bolt, and The Tao of Taijiquan by Jou, Tsung Hwa. Master James Theros of Level 10 Kung Fu Association provided additional information about So Rim Kwon Bop.
4 Numbers in Mr. Daly's interpretation coincide with the stances (postures) not including the "ready stances"

Next time page 2.

Tang Soo!

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is page 2.

Facing East:
(9) The right foot will stay the same. The left foot will face left (east) side. Turn toward the front. The body will face front.
5. Pivot l. foot into l. back-stance [with l. low. knife-hand block / r. up. rear. knife-hand block, l. m. palm-hand center block / r. down. knife-hand attack],

(10) Facing left (east), the left foot will stay in place. Make right foot attack (type of kick not clear) and land in defensive stance.
6. R. [spinning outside crescent] kick (returning to back-stance),

(11) In same stance, the left arm will extend toward the right side, the right fist will turn downward.
7. L. back-stance with l. inside palm-hand block / r. rev. low. punch,

(12) The right foot steps to right (west) side and bends at the knee (probably backward front stance). The front side of your body will face the front (south)
of form and your eyes will be looking to the left (east) side. The left foot will be extended. The right hand will block upward. The left hand will block
upward (probably reverse high block).
8. R. pivot/step back into l. backward-stance with r. up. out. block to rear [with l. low. block], l. up. out. block [with previous r. block held],

(13) The left foot will face left (east). The body and eyes will face towards the back (north) of the form and repeat motions in #8 (but facing the opposite
direction).
9. Shift forward twisting l. into r. side cross-stance (east) with double low. elbow blocks into up. out. blocks,
10. R. step into r. side horse-stance with r. m. reinforced hammer-block,

(14) Same motions as #9 (face opposite direction).
11. Pivot l. foot into (west facing) l. back-stance [with l. m. block / r. rear. low block],

Facing West:
(15) The left foot stays the same. The right foot comes together towards the left foot. Your head turns towards the back (north) of the form and make a
high punch.
12. R. step to l. into bent-knees feet-together stance looking north with [l. palm-heel center block] / r up. punch to north,

(16) Lift left foot and raise body upward.
13. Lift left foot into l. crane stance [with double upper outside hammer-fists],

(17) The right foot will stay on floor and pivot and the left foot will face the right (west) side with the head turned to the right (west). Same action as #7
(opposite direction).
14. L. step down / pivot 180o into r. cross-stance [with south facing low elbow blocks into high outside blocks],

(18) Twist right to a reverse front stance facing left (east) side of form. Head turned to the right hand side and prepare for attack(defensive stance).
Execute a left punch and backfist.
15. R. twist 270o to an east facing front-stance with r. ext. palm block,
16. L. step into l. front-stance with l. upper punch, l. m. block/backfist,

Page 3 next time.

Tang Soo!

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It seems that the format on the page of my replies is different than when displayed and the italics, etc. are not carrying through very well either. I will try to compensate tomorrow for page 4 (there are 8 pages in total with 108 steps/postures). Sure would be nice if someone would let me know if anyone is seeing this.
I am freely sharing many hours of work, because people on this site (and others) have freely shared information with me. Thank you all who have been so kind.
Page 4 next time.

Don Daly
6th Dan - Laohu Kempo - Kobu Do
4th Dan Moo Duk Kwan Karate (Tang Soo Do / Tae Kwon Do)
Advance 1 - SDS Jeet Kune Do
Kushin Ryu Iaido, Korean Stick Weapons, & Kwon Dao (Wol Do)

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Page 3 of my interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwon this time, which is below. Page 4 next time.

Facing East:
(19) The right foot will make a front kick to the front, then land in front stance.
17. R front-kick (stepping forward),
18. Land in r. front-stance [with l. in. palm-heel block / r. up. crane wrist strike/hook],

(20) Facing the right (west) side the left foot will stay right (west) side, and the right foot will step
once and make front kick.
19. L. pivot to west into l. front-stance [holding r. crane-wrist to east / with l. palm-hand to west,
r. reverse m. punch],

Facing West:
20. R. front-kick [with l. rev. up. punch],
21. R. step forward into r. front-stance,

(21) Same as #20 except reverse left and right
22. L. front-kick [with r. rev. up. punch],
23. L. step forward into l. front-stance,

(22) Same as #21 except reverse left and right.
24. R. front-kick [with l. rev. up. punch],
25. R. step forward into r. front-stance [with r. up. punch (with ki-hap)],

(23) Turn toward left (east), the left foot will be make a fighting stance, and execute a middle punch.
26. L. pivot / step east into l. cat-stance with l. reinforced hammer-block, l. m. [jab] punch,

Facing East:
(24) The right fist will punch the left (east) side.
27. L. step into l. ext. front-stance (east) with r. rev. up. punch,

(25) Same as #24 except reverse left and right.
28. R. pivot into r. ext. front-stance (west) with l. rev. up. punch,

(26) Same as #25 except reverse left and right.. Open the left hand and push forward
29. a. L. pivot into l. ext. front-stance (east) with r. rev. up. punch,
b. L. pushing palm-hand [with r. back. low. knife-hand],

(27) The left foot will lift to the right side. The right side will be centered and lift the left foot,
and make a right hand high block and a simultaneous left arm low block.
30. L. crane-stance with r. high side block to rear / l. low. block to front,

(28) With both hands push forward (facing the east side of the form).
31. L. step into an east facing l. front-stance with double palm-hand push,
32. [R. 270o pivot on left foot into sweeping into an east facing low backstance],

Then make a right hand low block. The head and body will face the left (east) side of the form.
33. Shift into a r. front stance with a r. low block,

(29) The left foot will stay the same as the left hand will open and push forward.
34. Same stance with l. rev. palm-hand push (r. hand chambers),

(30) The right foot will turn towards the back (north) of the form and bend at the knee.
35. L. pivot into l. backward-stance [with l. low block (west) / r. high outside block (east)],

Next time page 4.

Don Daly

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is page 4 of my interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwon. Please let me know if you see any mistakes.

Facing West:
(31) Step forward one step (west).
36. R. step west raising up into...

(32) Kick with left foot. The right hand will be open and hold the left hand.
37. Left front rising-kick with l. hand in r. hand into...

(33) The right foot will execute a front kick before the left foot touches the ground.
38. R. front jump-kick,
39. Land in high r. front-stance...,

(34) Facing the back (north) of the form, put the feet together, the arms will make a middle block.
40. L. step / r. pivot into north facing feet-together-stance with l. hand reinforced r. m. block,

(35) Turning hips to the left, the body will face the right (west) side of the form. The left foot steps
one step, both hands will be the same as #34 (but reversed).
41. L. step / pivot into l. back-stance (to west) with r. hand reinforced l. m. block,

(36) The right foot moves forward, the left hand will punch forward, and the right hand will
punch to the right (west) side.
42. R. step with l. rev. m. punch into r. side horse-stance with [l. up. palm-block] / r. side-punch,

(37) The left foot will step forward.
43. L. step west [with arms crossed in front],

(38) The right foot will step forward, jump in the air and turn to the left side of the form.
The face and body will continue to face the front (south). Stay in the horse stance.
The left hand will face downward.
44. R. jump [side kick / r. side punch] landing into...
45. South facing ride horse stance with l. low. palm-heel,

Facing South:
(39) The right foot stays the same. The left foot moves to the right bringing both feet together.
The left hand makes a middle block and the right hand extends forward (south).
46. Bring l. foot to r. into a south facing feet-together-stance with r. hand rein. l. outside block,

(40) Same as #7.
47. Cross right foot over left into l. cross-stance with raised arms [high outside to inside blocks],

(41) Same as #8.
48. L. step down into l. side horse-stance with rein. l. hammer-block (to east),

(42) Turn left, attack the middle...same as #20.
49. R. step into r. front-stance with [l. inside palm-heel block / r. up. crane-wrist strike/hook],
50. L. pivot (to west) into l. front-stance [with l. palm-hand / holding r. crane-wrist to east,
r. reverse m. punch],

Next time page 5.

Tang Soo

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is page 5 of So Rim Jang Kwon interpretation.

Facing West:
51. R. front-kick (stepping back),

(43) Same as #42, except reverse the left and right.
52. R. pivot into r. front-stance (east) with [r. ext. palm block,] l. rev. m. punch,
53. L. m. front-kick (stepping back),

(44) Same as #42, the opposite of #43.
54. L. pivot into l. front-stance (west) with [l. ext. palm block,] r. rev. m. punch,
55. R. front-kick (stepping back),

(45) Turn left, the head and body will face the right (west) side of the form. The right foot will stay on
the ground. The left foot will lift, and then execute a right high block.
56. R. step back raising l. foot into west-facing l. rooster-stance with r. upper block,

(46) At the time the left foot touches the ground. The body will be facing the rear (north) of the form.
The upper body will turn towards the back (north) of the form and both hands will stretch forward.
57. L. step into a north facing horse-stance with double front tiger palms,

Facing North:
(47) Same as #46, the right foot will step forward, and the left foot will be facing the right (west) side
of the form. Execute a right punch.
58. R. step into. r. extended front-stance with r. [up.] punch,

(48) Before the left foot lands, the right foot will make a front kick
59. R. front jump-kick,

(49) Both feet land together, twist hips to the rear, head and body will face front (south) of the form.
Make a left middle block and a simultaneous right punch (to south).
60. Landing l. pivot / r. step into south-facing feet-together-stance with l. m. block / r. [low] punch,

Repeat #s 46, 47, 48, and 49 (opposite hands/feet)
61. R. step/pivot into a north facing horse-stance with double front tiger palms,
62. L. step into l. extended front-stance with l. [up.] punch,
63. L. front jump-kick,
64. R. pivot into south-facing attention-stance with r. m. block / l. [low.] punch,

Facing South:
(50) Right foot moves forward, the body and head will face the left (east) side of the form
65. R. step forward into r. front-stance,
66. L. pivot into l. front-stance to east [with l. m. reinforced outside block],

Facing East:
(51) Step with the right foot, the body and head will face the rear of the form (north),
67. R. step into r. back-stance [with r. low. knife-hand block],

Next time page 6.

Don Daly

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Page 6 of interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwon Hyung.

Facing North:
(52) Raise right foot and make a high block with the right hand while making a left hand low block.
68. a. R. rooster-stance with r. up. block / l. low. block (to north),

(53) Both hands will come together, keep the right foot raised and reverse the hands
b. Holding r. rooster-stance switch to r. low block / l. up. block (to north),

(54) Bend the right knee and stomp with the left foot
69. L. hop/stomp [into bent-knees feet-together stance with l. fist to r. hand ”nailed fist"],

Repeat the moves from #52, 53, 54 (opposite hands/feet)
70. a. L. rooster-stance with l. up. block / r. low. block (to north),
b. Holding l. rooster-stance switch to l. low block / r. up. block (to north),
71. R. hop/stomp [into bent-knees feet-together stance with r. fist to l. hand "nailed fist"],

(55) The right foot stays the same. The left foot will step forward one step to the right (west) side of
the form. The head and body will turn to the right (west) side of the form.
72. L. step into west facing l. cat-stance [with l. ext. palm-hand block],

Facing West:
(56) The left foot will make a front kick and the right hand will be chambered and ready for an attack.
73. L. front displacement-kick with r. fist at hip,
74. L. step down into l. front-stance [with r. rev. up. ridge-hand attack, r. rev. knife-hand block],

(57) The same motion as #55 and #56 except reverse the left and the right.
75. R. front-kick with l. fist at hip,
76. R. step down into r. front-stance [with l. rev. up. ridge-hand attack, l. rev. knife-hand block],

(58) The same motion as #57 except reverse the left and the right.
77. L. front-kick with r. fist at hip,
78. L. step down into l. front-stance [with r. rev. up. ridge-hand attack, r. rev. m. ridge-hand block,
r. up. spear-hand attack],

(59) The left foot will face front (south), make a right low block to the front (south) of the form.
79. R. pivot 270o on left foot with r. step into south facing r. front-stance with r. low block,

Facing South:
(60) Same as #11 except the body and head will be in different direction.
80. L. foot pivot shifting into r. back-stance with r. up. in. parry / l. reverse low punch,

(61) Same motion as #12 except the direction.
81. L. step to north pivoting into r. backward-stance (south) with l. up. out. block (north) /
[ r. low. block], holding l. up. outside block (north) r. up. outside block (south),

(62) Facing the front (south) of the form, the body turns to the left (east) side, the right foot will come
together with the left foot.
82. R. pivot/step into east facing feet-together-stance [with right front elbow to l. palm,
extend arms forward with palms out],

Next time page 7.

Please check this out and give me feedback. I appreciate the help.

Don Daly

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Page 7 of So Rim Jang Kwon Hyung interpretation by Don Daly. Please send feedback, corrections, etc.

Facing East:
83. [L. front kick (east) while grabbing and drawing fists to hips (chambered)],

(63) Bend the knees and extend both arms, the right fist will punch upward.
84. Step down into bent-knees-feet-together stance with l. low. uppercut punch / r. high punch to east,

(64) Jump and turn to the left. The body and head turn to the rear (north) of the form.
Land in a (north facing) horse stance.
85. a. Jump east pivoting left into a north facing ride-horse stance with...

Facing North:
(65) The left hand makes a block to the front (north) and the right fist makes a low block
b. L. m. knife-hand block (to north) / r. low. block (north),

(66) The left foot will come to the right foot, the body and head will be facing the back (north) of the
form, the left fist makes a low block, and the right fist will execute a punch.
86. L. foot to r. foot into feet-together stance with l. low block, right m. punch (to north),

(67) The left foot will face the right (west) side and you will take one step, the left foot will be in a
fighting stance. The body and head will face the right (west) side of the form.
87. L. step / pivot into west facing l. cat-stance with l. reinforced m. hammer-block,

Facing West:
(68) Facing West, the right foot will move one step. Make a left, then right punch.
88. R. step into r. front-stance with l. rev. m. punch,
89. [R. pivot into r. side horse stance with l. up. palm block] / r. up. side punch,

(69) Same motion as #41.
90. L. pivot / step into l. side horse-stance (facing east) with l. m. reinforced hammer-block,

Facing East:
(70) Same motion as #66 except the direction and the body and head will face the front (south):
91. R. to l. foot into south facing feet-together-stance with r. low block, l. m. punch (to south),

Facing South:
(71) Same motion as #70 except the left foot will raise to the right knee (opposite hands).
92. a. L. foot to right knee into a crane stance with l. low block, r. m. punch,

(72) Same motion as #7.
b. Pivot upper body into (east facing) l. crane-stance with double inside block,

Thanks for your comments. Next time page 8 (the final page).

Don Daly

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here is the final page (p.8) of my interpretation of the translation so generously provided by others on Martial Talk. See page 1 for credits, etc. My additions and interpretations are in italics on this page. My suggestions for added techniques are in [brackets]. With my added techniques there are 108 postures/steps in the So Rim Jang Kwon Hyung not counting Choon Bee Jaseh or So Rim Jang Kwon Choon Bee Jaseh. The original notes contain (85) descriptions of techniques but include about 105 steps/postures.

Facing East:
(73) Same motion as #8.
93. L. step down into l. side horse-stance with l. reinforced m. hammer-block,

(74) Same motion as #9.
94. L. pivot / shift back into l. back-stance [with r. rear up. out. soodo block/ l. low. soodo block,
l. palm-heel center block / r. down. knife-hand attack, l. ext. palm-hand block],

(75) Same motion as #20.
95. R. reverse middle punch, r. up. front-kick [with l. rev. up. punch],
96. R. step forward into r. front-stance,

(76) Same motion as #21, reverse of #75.
97. L. reverse middle punch, l. up. front-kick [with r. rev. up. punch],
98. L. step forward into l. front-stance [with l. up. punch],

(77) Same motion as #76, Reverse the direction.
99. R. pivot (west) into r. front-stance [with r. m. block / l. rev. m. punch],
100. L. front-kick,

:
(78) Same motion as #77, Reverse the direction
101. L. step back / pivot (east) into l. front-stance [with l. m. block / r. rev. m. punch],
102. R. front-kick,

(79) Same motion as #78, Reverse the direction
103. R. step back / pivot (west) into r. front-stance [with r. m. block],
104. L. front-kick,

Facing West:
(80) The face and head will face the rear (north, eyes looking west), same motion as #55.
105. L. step down into west facing l. back-stance (with l. ext. palm-hand block),

(81) Turning towards the right (west) side, same motion as #56.
106. L. up. front displacement kick with r. hand chambered,

(82) As the left foot touches the ground land in a fighting stance with your head facing the left (east)
side of the form. Make a left punch and chamber the right fist.
107. L. step down / r. pivot/shift back into r. cat-stance (facing east) with l. rev. m. punch,

Facing East:
(83) Same motion as #82, except reverse the left and the right.
108. L. pivot/shift back into l. cat-stance (facing west) with r. rev. m. punch [ki-hap],

Facing West:
(84) Same motion as #3.
So Rim Jang Kwon Choon Bee (l. step back towards east / pivot to south into So Rim Jang Kwon Choon Bee Jaseh),

Facing South:
(85) Same motion as #2.
Baro Jasae (return to standard choon bee jaseh).

Please check this out and share your insights and suggestions for improvement or corrections, and feel free to ask about any terms that are unfamiliar. With so many different Tang Soo Do (or Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do) organizations and orphaned schools these days there are several different ways to name techniques in Korean and in English. Some of these English terms may be from Chuanfa / Kwon Bop sources as well and several of the techniques found in this form (typical of Shaolin Long Fist styles) are not common terms in all Tang Soo Do or even Kenpo schools.

Don Daly

Last edited:

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I need to make a correction to my interpretation of (74)-(76) above. It should read:

(74) Same motion as #9.
94. L. pivot / shift back into l. back-stance [with r. rear up. out. soodo block/ l. low. soodo block,
l. palm-heel center block / r. down. knife-hand attack, r. reverse middle punch],

(75) Same motion as #20.
95. R. up. front-kick [with l. rev. up. punch],
96. R. step forward into r. front-stance,

(76) Same motion as #21, reverse of #75.
97. L. up. front-kick [with r. rev. up. punch],
98. L. step forward into l. front-stance [with l. up. punch],

Please check this out and give me feedback.

Don Daly

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello.

That is most interesting.

I haven’t had time to go through it all, nor am I a Changquan stylist, but can you comment on how this version compares with any of the major pre-Revolution “standardised” Long Fist forms such as those of the Chinwoo Association or the Nanjing Institute?

Have you read my article in Totally Tae Kwon Do magazine Issue 55 (September 2013) on northern Chinese influences on the Kwans? It refers mainly to the Yoon Pyung In lineage (Chang Moo Kwan and Kang Duk Won), but it also discusses the concept of forms and styles in the northern CMA, specifically the term “Long Fist” or Changquan.

Regarding Tae Keuk Kwon, I must admit that I have a hard time seeing any real Taijiquan influence in the MDK lineage. I say this from the point of view of a practitioner of traditional TKD and a student of a variation of Chen Taijiquan. In my experience, TJQ is less about the actual techniques than about the body mechanics and structure, which are very different from those of the Karate-based arts like TSD and TKD. So you can “know” the techniques in the form, but if you don’t perform them with TJQ body movement then it isn’t TJQ.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Simon

Don Daly

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello.

That is most interesting.

I haven’t had time to go through it all, nor am I a Changquan stylist, but can you comment on how this version compares with any of the major pre-Revolution “standardised” Long Fist forms such as those of the Chinwoo Association or the Nanjing Institute?

Have you read my article in Totally Tae Kwon Do magazine Issue 55 (September 2013) on northern Chinese influences on the Kwans? It refers mainly to the Yoon Pyung In lineage (Chang Moo Kwan and Kang Duk Won), but it also discusses the concept of forms and styles in the northern CMA, specifically the term “Long Fist” or Changquan.

Regarding Tae Keuk Kwon, I must admit that I have a hard time seeing any real Taijiquan influence in the MDK lineage. I say this from the point of view of a practitioner of traditional TKD and a student of a variation of Chen Taijiquan. In my experience, TJQ is less about the actual techniques than about the body mechanics and structure, which are very different from those of the Karate-based arts like TSD and TKD. So you can “know” the techniques in the form, but if you don’t perform them with TJQ body movement then it isn’t TJQ.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the insightful comments. I have not had a chance to read your article, but it sounds interesting. Master James Theros, who teaches pre-Revolution Shaolin Longfist-Mantis Kung Fu (the style taught in Korea) has given me some valuable information on this subject and I used his Tan Tui DVD as one of my examples (Level 10 Kung Fu Assoc).

Old style Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan stylists such as myself are spoiled. I cherish the 1960's blend of Koreanized Karate with Taekkyon and Shaolin Longfist influenced energy, motion and kicking, while still having the more dynamic way of performing the hyung including emotional content. (Only a Moo Duk Kwan traditionalist will understand the first partof that sentence, but viewing the Japan Karate Champions doing Kata will illustrate the later.) Originally in his version of Tang Soo Do, students progressed from hard style basic to hard style fluid and dynamic. Starting with Black Belt they also began to learn Ne Ga Ryu forms that led to slower softer fluidity and eventually to Tai Chi Chuan. I am still persuing the original path that is of necessity going in two directions while still providing more fluidity in both.

Although I am not a Soo Bahk Do student I understand what Grandmaster Hwang, Kee was doing. He was rediscovering and developing Korea's martial art heritage. His Soo Bahk Do combines all these influences to become a uniquely Korean traditional and at the same time Hwang Kee's own style. You cannot judge Hwang Kee's Tai Chi Chuan abilities by his students today, but you can see the Tai Chi Chuan influences as well as the Shaolin Chang Chuan and Tan Tui influences in his newer Soo Bahk Do forms: Especially in the Yuk Ro and Hwa Sun Hyungs. People who had the privilege of actually having Grandmaster Hwang Kee work with them have all said that his energy (ki) was very dynamic and definitely beyond simple karate.

Again thank you for the input, and I look forward to your further comments about this interpretation of So Rim Jang Kwan. Your background should provide some great suggestions for me.

Don Daly

Latest Discussions