Tae kwon Do in the school systems questions

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was wondering how many of you have your martial arts program intergrated into the school systems? What was your approach if you do?? And how do you get compensated for working in the schools??? I wondering myself cause thinking of approaching the schools around here and see what happens but would like to have general idea of the best approach in do it.

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I know some instances of home schooled children that use Martial Arts to fulfill a gym requirement. They might be an additional audience.

~Rob

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know one of the dojangs around here has an after-school program one or two days a week at a local elementary school - I'm guessing they rent the gym and then get paid by the parents, but I'm not sure. Also, the thing about homeschool kids that rainesr mentioned. But I've never heard of a public school offering martial arts as a class, if that's what you mean. I bet the beaurocracy would be a nightmare.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm betting that if you wanted to teach "in" the school, as opposed to an after school program of some kind, you would need to have teacher certification for your state.

I did an after school program several years ago before I was a certified teacher. I think we charged a monthly fee and gave the school a %.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I keep on forgetting about the martial arts could be an P.E. avenue for home schooled children. I need to check in more into that route for my area.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
frankly, I don't think school systems are going to touch it with a ten foot pole. Liability issues and all of that.

However, one of the ITA big wigs was involved with the LSU football program for a long time....(but I am sure it's about who you know a lot more than what you have to offer....)

But we did have a few home schooled kids come through the doors (and some were the poster children as to why it is not good for all kids to be home schooled - or for parents to take that endeavor on...)

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Chuck Norris's Kick Start Kids (http://kickstartkids.org/program.html) does exactly that. A guy I know teaches at a local Middle School, and it counts as PE. He also owns a dojang for normal non-school students. I believe kids can move between the two, and the ranks are interchangeable.

He is a real teacher, though. He talks about having lunch room duty, standardized test duty, and normal school holidays.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I currently have my TKD system in five Charter schools in my area twice a week. Since me and my wife are and was teachers we put together a lesson plan and did all the necs. paper work for back ground checks. Gave twenty or so references from our local city government. Then we was ask to come in and demostate our program to potentail interested students for a month. After that they ask us to implement it into there P.E. program as a different way for these kids to do PE. So twice a week we do two PE classes for five diferent Charter schools. It was a long year process but it was worth it in the end. They pay th school a yearly salarey and we in turn pay our BB to go out and run the programs, it has added about twenty extra thousand dollars into my school account after I pay my instructors.

As far as insurance it cost me roughly $70.00 per month per location to have complete coverage for my program.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
When my GM came to live in the States, I tried to get that started in the local schools (Two of my students worked in the county school system). It never got off the ground even with that in. They also wanted it as an after school activity, for I guess liability reasons, but were generally pretty cool to the whole idea. Never got past th inquiry stage so I have no idea what would have been worked out.

Shame really. He was an experienced teacher as well as a GM. He had taught for many years in the military school system in Seoul, Korea.

Latest Discussions