Traditional Tae Kwon Do

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was in Korea (Busan) I was asked to teach a class. When I did the instructor came up to me and said "you're old school. No one teaches like that any more." LOL!

Are there any specific drills, kicks, or punches you did that "no one" does anymore" Was it the style of teaching (e.g., hitting students, yelling) that "no one" does anymore?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with this post. As long it's something that's passed down from student to teacher, you can still call it tradition. (And as long as those awesome kicks are still passed on to me, I'll be one happy, butt-kicking taekwondo practitioner :) .)

I disagree with this slightly (about passing it on as you learnt it).

I feel it's the attitude your instructor instilled in you. Mine instilled in me that I should aim for as close compliance with Kukkiwon standards as I can, and pass on the teachings I received (from him and other senior GMs) as faithfully as I can (to not dilute the art).

He still attends Kukkiwon courses and sessions with senior GMs to learn (and he's a Changmookwan 9th Dan, Kukkiwon 8th Dan), so I'm definitely following in his footsteps.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any specific drills, kicks, or punches you did that "no one" does anymore" Was it the style of teaching (e.g., hitting students, yelling) that "no one" does anymore?

The quote was not from me.