Nontraditional is Liberating

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never wanted to believe in dogma or do things a certain way just because it 'always has been done this way'. Yet because I value what I learned from my sensei so much, I am frequently reluctant to change from the way he taught me. After all, why fix something that is not broken right?

Adding a few different 'nontraditional' classes has been liberating for me. For example, all the current physical science research now says you should actually stretch after your workout, not before, and your warm up should incorporated dynamic movement instead. I have implemented this change in my new classes and I am enjoying the fresher approach.

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We warm up, then stretch, then have class.

The article I read from the NYT states that stretching BEFORE a workout isn't beneficial because your muscles are weakened by the stretching itself.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The article I read from the NYT states that stretching BEFORE a workout isn't beneficial because your muscles are weakened by the stretching itself.

That simply goes against everything I was ever tought either in my TKD career or with my Physical education degree. I know re-stretching after a workout is great for you, but if I do not do any stretching before working out I get cramps and knots all the time.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've never wanted to believe in dogma or do things a certain way just because it 'always has been done this way'. Yet because I value what I learned from my sensei so much, I am frequently reluctant to change from the way he taught me. After all, why fix something that is not broken right?

Adding a few different 'nontraditional' classes has been liberating for me. For example, all the current physical science research now says you should actually stretch after your workout, not before, and your warm up should incorporated dynamic movement instead. I have implemented this change in my new classes and I am enjoying the fresher approach.

Warm up before no stretching....stretch in the middle and after class...warm mucles stretch better and less damage....

OP
dancingalone

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That simply goes against everything I was ever tought either in my TKD career or with my Physical education degree. I know re-stretching after a workout is great for you, but if I do not do any stretching before working out I get cramps and knots all the time.

I should clarify and state that stretching is fine if it is dynamic. Here's the article, Terry. It argues against the traditional static stretching used before workouts. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html

If you’re like most of us, you were taught the importance of warm-up exercises back in grade school, and you’ve likely continued with pretty much the same routine ever since. Science, however, has moved on. Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes’ warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds — known as static stretching — primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them. In a recent study conducted at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, athletes generated less force from their leg muscles after static stretching than they did after not stretching at all. Other studies have found that this stretching decreases muscle strength by as much as 30 percent. Also, stretching one leg’s muscles can reduce strength in the other leg as well, probably because the central nervous system rebels against the movements.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
It has long been noted that stretching after waming up is best for you. You should not do any power kicks or hard sparring as your warm up as you will get cramps or tear something. But you should warm up and break a good sweat before you stretch.

As already stated you should stretch throughout your workout also, not just at the end of it. During and the end is best.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It has long been noted that stretching after waming up is best for you. You should not do any power kicks or hard sparring as your warm up as you will get cramps or tear something. But you should warm up and break a good sweat before you stretch.

As already stated you should stretch throughout your workout also, not just at the end of it. During and the end is best.

I adhere to this school of thought.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I should clarify and state that stretching is fine if it is dynamic. Here's the article, Terry. It argues against the traditional static stretching used before workouts. Let me know what you think when you have a chance.

If you’re like most of us, you were taught the importance of warm-up exercises back in grade school, and you’ve likely continued with pretty much the same routine ever since. Science, however, has moved on. Researchers now believe that some of the more entrenched elements of many athletes’ warm-up regimens are not only a waste of time but actually bad for you. The old presumption that holding a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds — known as static stretching — primes muscles for a workout is dead wrong. It actually weakens them. In a recent study conducted at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, athletes generated less force from their leg muscles after static stretching than they did after not stretching at all. Other studies have found that this stretching decreases muscle strength by as much as 30 percent. Also, stretching one leg’s muscles can reduce strength in the other leg as well, probably because the central nervous system rebels against the movements.

Yes I agree with it, also I kinda always are doing some kind of quick stretch during exorcising just to keep loose.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Great information. We also did all the stretches before training years ago but I was shown the new information during a sports coaching course I took. Now we do warm ups including simple dynamic stretches and if we have time we stretch fully with static stretches at the end of the session.