Swollen knee

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So last week I took a kick to my leg and at first there was pain behind my knee on the ligament or whatever it's called but now my knee is very swollen. But it doesn't hurt to kick or anything but when I lift my leg then go to put it down there's a loud popping coming from somewhere. But only in front of me like if I lift my leg to the side e.g checking a kick in Muay Thai there's no click or pop. But lifting it like a chamber for a front kick there is a pop. But it's not painful

Before anyway says anything I have seen 3 different doctors. One said its a tight hamstring another said its torn muscle fibre and another said he's not sure but it's nothing serious sooooo yeah....basically they're useless.

It's okay bcwayse there's no real pain apart from sometimes when I sit still for to long but general walking and kicking is fine no pain but knee is very swollen.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From my experience it sounds like the doctors are on track. Since it is very swollen I would think the inflammation has everything very compacted. This alone may be causing the clicking.
How are you treating the swelling? I am a big proponent of alternating both ice and heat. Heat before a workout, bed, or a timed method. Ice after a workout, first thing in the morning, or a timed method. "Working through" an injury has to be done with great caution. Especially when you are not feeling any pain.
My knees are a mess. I have had a lot of injuries but I strongly believe at least some of my arthritis and ultimately cartilage loss stems from surgeries. So, I strongly recommend them as a last resort. After my Olympic run I had a knee scope for torn cartilage on the right meniscus. I don't think the knee was ever quite right after that.
I have heard from every kind of 'expert' out there that the leg muscles, if appropriately strengthend can adequately support the knee joint even when there is injured ligaments/tendons or cartilage.
Let us know how things progress.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So last week I took a kick to my leg and at first there was pain behind my knee on the ligament or whatever it's called but now my knee is very swollen. But it doesn't hurt to kick or anything but when I lift my leg then go to put it down there's a loud popping coming from somewhere. But only in front of me like if I lift my leg to the side e.g checking a kick in Muay Thai there's no click or pop. But lifting it like a chamber for a front kick there is a pop. But it's not painful

Before anyway says anything I have seen 3 different doctors. One said its a tight hamstring another said its torn muscle fibre and another said he's not sure but it's nothing serious sooooo yeah....basically they're useless.

It's okay bcwayse there's no real pain apart from sometimes when I sit still for to long but general walking and kicking is fine no pain but knee is very swollen.
Heal first Train later. first take care of the knee. It's very swollen so that means there's something wrong. I could be something as simple as a bruise or something more serious. You won't know until that swelling is taking care of. Unfortunately no pain does not always mean no injury or no damage. From what you describe with the popping sound. It could be that a tendon is out of place (twisted around something else) and the popping noise that you hear may be the sound of it popping back into place after getting hung. Swelling can interfere with movement so you should probably tackle that swelling first.

*I'm not a doctor but I play one on MT* lol. but seriously take care of that swelling

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nah the doctors don't really know what they're on about...

Just push through and train as normal, if not HARDER than before. This will force the knee to adapt and be stronger than before. Any pain just disregard entirely, as this just means you're getting so very strong.

I am of COURSE joking haha... hope it heals up soon.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah the doctors don't really know what they're on about...

Just push through and train as normal, if not HARDER than before. This will force the knee to adapt and be stronger than before. Any pain just disregard entirely, as this just means you're getting so very strong.

I am of COURSE joking haha... hope it heals up soon.
until the last line I'd thought you had grown a pair

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
until the last line I'd thought you had grown a pair
Hahaha, smartass ;D.

(Speaking of, have actually re-rolled my ankle yesterday, the same one I did last year if you remember, and I won't be resting it long like I did last time, rehabbing starts tomorrow)

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
Rest!!! Ice, compression, and some type of anti-inflammation drug to help with the swelling & pain.

The main thing to focus on is healing.

Latest Discussions