Done my knee in

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i don't worry at all about tomorrow it's what i can and can't do today that bothers me --- whether this is right or wrong depends on experiences - when that car pulled out on me all those years ago i should've been dead - losing blood etc........ but i was having a laugh with the doctors and stuff really didn't bother me that i was at deaths door, i'm not scared of dying.

But what if, today, you were not able to train or compete because you messed up your leg beyond repair? Tomorrow will become today whether you like it or not. If you don't want today to be full of regret, you need to be careful not to over do it and make bad worse. Do you think, if you had been crippled for life in that car wreck, you would enjoy today as much as you are enjoying it now? You didn't have control over a car wreck (presumably), but you have control over your physical well being today.

As an aside, time is an illusion. It's always now. It's always been now, and it will always be now. But now changes. Make sure it changes for the better, and not for the worse.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But what if, today, you were not able to train or compete because you messed up your leg beyond repair? Tomorrow will become today whether you like it or not. If you don't want today to be full of regret, you need to be careful not to over do it and make bad worse. Do you think, if you had been crippled for life in that car wreck, you would enjoy today as much as you are enjoying it now? You didn't have control over a car wreck (presumably), but you have control over your physical well being today.

As an aside, time is an illusion. It's always now. It's always been now, and it will always be now. But now changes. Make sure it changes for the better, and not for the worse.

the accident was not my fault and could very easily have been prevented according the cops.

the soft tissue injury in my left knee is what i got left with after the accident.

i do however agree with a lot of what's been said with regards to the use of tramadol --- i like the stuff and i've been on so many other painkillers over the years and am back using tramadol --- in short it works, it lets me do things that i wouldn't otherwise be able to do. i learnt how to function properly when i use so people wouldn't know and it really does help my injuries heal so for me it's a win win.

if i die today then i'll die pain free - if i die at some other point in time then i'll still be pain free :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I often go off on mental tangents when I'm relaxing, or cleaning the house, or whatever. I sometimes think....ever since mankind started walking erect, knees and backs have been a real pain. Add martial arts to the mix that and it's increased dramatically. Then I think....what if every single human on the planet did martial arts? And every single human on the planet suffered all the injuries, aches, pains and tweaks usually associated with everyday training? I wonder if our species would evolve differently?
Maybe humans would have oddly gaited walks and a love for drugs....oh, wait.

OP
B

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Then I think....what if every single human on the planet did martial arts? And every single human on the planet suffered all the injuries, aches, pains and tweaks usually associated with everyday training? I wonder if our species would evolve differently?
Maybe humans would have oddly gaited walks and a love for drugs....oh, wait.

Years ago when I was training in kung fu, I once went to a zoo and saw a bunch of chimpanzees having a play fight. That's when I realised that when our teacher said our style of kung fu involved taking the spirit form of 5 animals, one of them being the monkey, they weren't just using cryptic oriental philosophy. Those chimpanzees having a play fight were perfectly executing the kind of blocks, strikes, evasive movements etc that we practiced in class. Basically, the chimps were doing kung fu. Humans are not that far removed from chimps in terms of evolution, so in a way, all humans have evolved to do martial arts. Except that in modern life, told from a very young age to "be careful", and "get down from there" and "you'll break your neck", we rapidly lose the agility and stamina we were equipped with. Then once we've become rigid and slow and clumsy, then if we choose, we can start to regain some of that through training, although probably not all of it, because by the time we start training we're already conditioned for as lazy and unadventurous life, so then, because we didn't develop our skills from birth because we were constantly told to "behave", we get injuries as we try to make our weakened bodies do some of the things it was built to do before we let it get weak.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's not a bad analogy, and I think an important part of training in anything physical is learning how to stretch one's limits without going too far. :)