Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
what basis do you have for claiming they didn't spend enough time sparring if you at the same time expect them to be wrecked by me?
You stated they spent most of their time on bagwork and their sparring proved the bagwork didn't work. If they spent an equal amount of time on their soarring and bagwork, you wouldn't be able to make that claim.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If we’re talking about a jab hook off the same hand I do play with that combo. 2 ways one the hook is quick and short no power at all more of a set up punch just like a jabL back knuckle or you can do it jab then retract then throw a full hook which is very slow and leaves you open and exposed. Neither are great combos I work them on the bag just for fun but doubt I’d use them for real
But neither of those are what he's talking about. Both have been suggested and hes denied that that's what he's referring to.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that 4 years in TKD should result in you beating 1.5 years of boxing pretty regularly in sparring. If it doesn't that means there's an issue in your TKD sparring.

You're right..it's not your invention to hook off the jab. But it is to hook in the way that you're describing it. I did box for 4-5 years. That's outside of my other 19 years of training in various arts (23 if you include the boxing). But what you're describing sounds like a waste of effort, and wouldn't impact anyone with serious training/experience in boxing. Unless I'm misunderstanding it but for some reason you've ignored every request to provide a video of what you're explaining so I can't know if I'm understanding you right.

If you provide that video, I'll be happy to discuss it. Until then, I can't picture any way that turning a jab into a hook at the last second would be helpful to the puncher.
@Headhunter which part of this do you dislike? Me stato g my boxing experience, or me requesting a video for clarificarion to the move he's been referring to?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
@Headhunter which part of this do you dislike? Me stato g my boxing experience, or me requesting a video for clarificarion to the move he's been referring to?
Whoops my bad my finger must’ve touched the dislike button by accident. I didn’t even read that post lol. Fixed it Now lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
But neither of those are what he's talking about. Both have been suggested and hes denied that that's what he's referring to.
Could be a fake jab then turn to get them to protect the centre line then uses that to come round the side for a hook but no reason why this guy can’t put a video. He’s already posted a few of his right hand so he doesn’t mind putting up videos

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Could be a fake jab then turn to get them to protect the centre line then uses that to come round the side for a hook but no reason why this guy can’t put a video. He’s already posted a few of his right hand so he doesn’t mind putting up videos
I mentioned that earlier, but he said it's not that.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You stated they spent most of their time on bagwork and their sparring proved the bagwork didn't work. If they spent an equal amount of time on their soarring and bagwork, you wouldn't be able to make that claim.

I made that assumption. You on the other hand cannot make that assumption since you feel the outcome was expected either way due to the difference in years training.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How long have you boxed? You write like a TMA theorizing.
as someone who came on asking for advice, your rather belligerent to the people giving advice

i spend some time coaching young men in boxing, if im a good coach is another matter, but boxing isnt that complicated

mr bolt has a reaction time of about a tenth of a second,
any thing below that is considered super human and a false start

a half second is ponderously slow, most people are between the two, but there are quite a lot of athletic young men who are around the 2 tenths mark

obviously their reaction time start at the moment they predict you punch, not at the moment you throw it. if they predict wrongly, then you should hit them, which is where the deceptiveness come in, if they predict correctly then you just look very very slow, they have moved almost before the punch is thrown

your experiences with this bout is difficult to analysis with out seeing it, despite what BD says

if the guy has just got faster reactions than you, given an aprox skill level, he will out jab you, theres little to be done but go away and work on your reaction speed,

if your helping him by telegraphing your intention and or being predictable then thats an area of improvement for you

but once you have got your self on a level playing field, the speed of the punch is still crucial, it needs to travel faster than his ability to react, so that nominally 2 tenths of a second, thats generally why jabs land so often, thers no set up moving to tip him off,they are the fastest punch and the laws of kinetics also say that the faster an object is moving through space the more force they impart, now boxing is a bit more complex than simple objects colliding, but not that much and an increase in terminal velocity will impart more force

provided your fast enough to hit him at all

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
as someone who came on asking for advice, your rather belligerent to the people giving advice

i spend some time coaching young men in boxing, if im a good coach is another matter, but boxing isnt that complicated

mr bolt has a reaction time of about a tenth of a second,
any thing below that is considered super human and a false start

a half second is ponderously slow, most people are between the two, but there are quite a lot of athletic young men who are around the 2 tenths mark

obviously their reaction time start at the moment they predict you punch, not at the moment you throw it. if they predict wrongly, then you should hit them, which is where the deceptiveness come in, if they predict correctly then you just look very very slow, they have moved almost before the punch is thrown

your experiences with this bout is difficult to analysis with out seeing it, despite what BD says

if the guy has just got faster reactions than you, given an aprox skill level, he will out jab you, theres little to be done but go away and work on your reaction speed,

if your helping him by telegraphing your intention and or being predictable then thats an area of improvement for you

but once you have got your self on a level playing field, the speed of the punch is still crucial, it needs to travel faster than his ability to react, so that nominally 2 tenths of a second, thats generaly why jabs land so often, they are the fastest punch and the laws of kinetics also say that the faster an object is moving through space the more force they impart, now boxing is a bit more complex than simple objects colliding, but not that much and increase in terminal velocity will impart more force

More theory lol.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
More theory lol.
well yea, your problem is the misapplication of theory

i mean its no skin of my nose if you keep getting your **** kicked, the little i can tell from them short vids you posted is your no sort of boxer, everything about your movement is wrong, you need some theory or not much will improve

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well yea, your problem is the misapplication of theory

i mean its no skin of my nose if you keep getting your **** kicked, the little i can tell from them short vids you posted is your no sort of boxer, everything about your movement is wrong, you need some theory or not much will improve

Since you are heavy on reaction time.

This was my best score.
_20200711_141430.JPG

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Athletes have a reaction time up to 0.155 milliseconds, while a a well-rested person will respond within 0.156 to 250 milliseconds, according to research from Stanford University

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Athletes have a reaction time up to 0.155 milliseconds, while a a well-rested person will respond within 0.156 to 250 milliseconds, according to research from Stanford University
thats what i just said, or cant you convert milliseconds to 10ths

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
thats what i just said, or cant you convert milliseconds to 10ths

In other words much slower than my punch. I can tell them it's coming and they still won't be able to parry it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In other words much slower than my punch. I can tell them it's coming and they still won't be able to parry it.
well sort of, and thats what ive just said as well, sort of.

if they cant predict your jab to give them early warning of it and your jab travels the distance in a shorter time than their reaction speed then they cant avoid it, if they are avoiding it, your doing it wrong

much of boxing like much of driving fast is on anticipation of events, if they anticipate your jab then they are moving before the punch is released, reaction time is also made up of thinking time and then your ability to send nerve impulses, if its a simple task like pushing a buzzer, or moving your head, then theres little thinking time, for situation where there is an actual decision to be made, like brake or steer,you can react fast, but wrongly and it ends badly

Last edited:
OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well sort of, and thats what ive just said as well, sort of.

if they cant predict your jab to give them early warning of it and your jab travels the distance in a shorter time than their reaction speed then they cant avoid it

The point is that even if my opponent is purposely trying to avoid my jab and being defensive, he will have a harder time with the elbow flare missing. The dude I was referring to had no proactive game himself.

Latest Discussions