Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what that means.
What I'm saying is that 4 years in TKD should result in you beating 1.5 years of boxing pretty regularly in sparring. If it doesn't that means there's an issue in your TKD sparring.

Sigh.. It's not my invention to hook off the jab. I don't believe you boxed either. I specifically requested guys who have boxed for a long time in the OP

You're right..it's not your invention to hook off the jab. But it is to hook in the way that you're describing it. I did box for 4-5 years. That's outside of my other 19 years of training in various arts (23 if you include the boxing). But what you're describing sounds like a waste of effort, and wouldn't impact anyone with serious training/experience in boxing. Unless I'm misunderstanding it but for some reason you've ignored every request to provide a video of what you're explaining so I can't know if I'm understanding you right.

If you provide that video, I'll be happy to discuss it. Until then, I can't picture any way that turning a jab into a hook at the last second would be helpful to the puncher.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't picture any way that turning a jab into a hook at the last second would be helpful to the puncher.

For the same reason it can be effective to disuise and confuse chambers to various kicks thrown.​

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Acronym Out of curiosity I went back to your OP to see what your concern was and to make sure I was still on topic. Your first post was "
So in the past I did the classical mistake of elbow flare but now I've tried different ways to side step that and accept a reduction in power.
Would it be a good analogy to think of a non flaring jab as a poke? This way your shoulder won't flare since it's the forearm and shoulder doing the motions. How would you describe it?"

Which does not request at all people with experience in boxing. Your third post was "I had both but the elbow flare telegraphed it, even at my speed. So I'm gonna settle with a less powerful one. It will get gradually more powerful." So you acknowledged that you telegraph your jab and that's an issue. I don't get why you're getting so defensive about it when people are telling you ways to fix that problem.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

For the same reason it can be effective to disuise and confuse chambers to various kicks thrown.​
With different chambers, like question mark kick/brazilian roundhouse, you're still getting a lot of power in it, so the kick is an actual threat. With turning a jab into a hook at the last second, all you have is arm strength, so there's no threat there and any experienced boxer will just ignore it and attack before you retract.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ö
@Acronym Out of curiosity I went back to your OP to see what your concern was and to make sure I was still on topic. Your first post was "
So in the past I did the classical mistake of elbow flare but now I've tried different ways to side step that and accept a reduction in power.
Would it be a good analogy to think of a non flaring jab as a poke? This way your shoulder won't flare since it's the forearm and shoulder doing the motions. How would you describe it?"

Which does not request at all people with experience in boxing. Your third post was "I had both but the elbow flare telegraphed it, even at my speed. So I'm gonna settle with a less powerful one. It will get gradually more powerful." So you acknowledged that you telegraph your jab and that's an issue. I don't get why you're getting so defensive about it when people are telling you ways to fix that problem.

My mistake. I did in the previous one..not this one

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With different chambers, like question mark kick/brazilian roundhouse, you're still getting a lot of power in it, so the kick is an actual threat. With turning a jab into a hook at the last second, all you have is arm strength, so there's no threat there and any experienced boxer will just ignore it and attack before you retract.

You don't get much power from switching between different types of lead leg kicks either, like Bill Wallace did. Just because something is much less powerful doesn't mean it can't be effective.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What I'm saying is that 4 years in TKD should result in you beating 1.5 years of boxing pretty regularly in sparring. If it doesn't that means there's an issue in your TKD sparring.

And I should be able to be comparable on the pads considering your thesis of correlation, and the amount of pad work with boxing we did in my TKD club.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't get much power from switching between different types of lead leg kicks either, like Bill Wallace did. Just because something is much less powerful doesn't mean it can't be effective.
I'm not a tkd giy. But afaik each kick that he did ether had impact power or pushing power. If he threw a roundhouse with no power (i cant imagine that he did) i wouldn't care all that much. You're jab-hook claim to me is like if someone through a front kick then sideswiped it when I dodge. Yeah it's technically hitting me. But not actually impacting what I do next.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And I should be able to be comparable on the pads considering your thesis of correlation, and the amount of pad work with boxing we did in my TKD club.
Theoretically yeah. I never visited your tkd school though. But you should be better at both padwork and sparring than the 'intermediates' at the boxing club. Feok what you've stated I would gueas your tkd dojang spent too little time on bagwork, and your boxing club doesn't soend enouch time on sparring. But i haven't seen either in person so thats just assumptions from what you've said.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
They don't hit bags to improve their sparring.
Bag work is for fitness, combinations and to hit at 100% which you can’t do in sparring. Also I fought for over 10 years and in that time I sparred maybe....3 times at most. All my training was done with bag, pad and drill work I very rarely sparred because sparring is more likely to get me injured and concussed before I fight so I just stopped doing it. Never affected me I won more than I lost

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bag work is for fitness, combinations and to hit at 100% which you can’t do in sparring. Also I fought for over 10 years and in that time I sparred maybe....3 times at most. All my training was done with bag, pad and drill work I very rarely sparred because sparring is more likely to get me injured and concussed before I fight so I just stopped doing it. Never affected me I won more than I lost
Not even light sparring? How often did you compete? And did you ever feel like your timing was off because you didn't tune up with sparring beforehand?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[

I would gueas your tkd dojang spent too little time on bagwork, and your boxing club doesn't soend enouch time on sparring. But i haven't seen either in person so thats just assumptions from what you've said.

Now you contradicted yourself. You previously claimed it was expected

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not even light sparring? How often did you compete? And did you ever feel like your timing was off because you didn't tune up with sparring beforehand?
No always felt completely fine and idk once every few months at most sometimes a year in between sometimes more

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

He also made another thread asking how to throw a right hand yet according to him at least he’s untouchable in sparring

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That I would wreck them in sparring. Now you say that club probably didn't spar enough. Which is it gonna be?
I don't see the contradiction. If you trained f9r 4 ysars you should be wrecking people with half that time in sparring.

From what you've said about the boxing club it sounds like they don't spend enough time on sparring as well. But that's not contradicting the above, it's an unrelated statement based on your questions/statements.

On another note, you still havent shown a video of either a professional bocer or yourself doing the jab-hook that you claim is a solution to your telegraphing, ir a professional doing it. Why is that?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sigh.. It's not my invention to hook off the jab. I don't believe you boxed either. I specifically requested guys who have boxed for a long time in the OP
Your original problem that you posted was about flaring elbows which is a common issue across many fighting systems. It's not a boxing only problem The fixes for flaring are also universal which is why I can take. The same things that have been said here are things experienced boxers would say. We have even posted videos of boxers teaching the same things that we mentioned and covering the same points that we have brought up about flaring elbows.

The confusion that some of us are having is your description of "hook off the jab" vs "turning a jab into a hook." It's fine if you got the description wrong and mean "hook off the jab" it's also fine if you are saying the punch is in a pattern like a question mark. We get that too. But when you say you turn a jab into a hook at the last second, then it becomes a mechanical problem and not an issue about how much boxing one knows.

8 pages of confusion could be cleared up with a simple video of you demonstrating the type of punch that you are talking about. Based on what I've seen so far, you have been getting solid advice from others.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see the contradiction. If you trained f9r 4 ysars you should be wrecking people with half that time in sparring.

From what you've said about the boxing club it sounds like they don't spend enough time on sparring as well. But that's not contradicting the above, it's an unrelated statement based on your questions/statements.

On another note, you still havent shown a video of either a professional bocer or yourself doing the jab-hook that you claim is a solution to your telegraphing, ir a professional doing it. Why is that?
If we’re talking about a jab hook off the same hand I do play with that combo. 2 ways one the hook is quick and short no power at all more of a set up punch just like a jabL back knuckle or you can do it jab then retract then throw a full hook which is very slow and leaves you open and exposed. Neither are great combos I work them on the bag just for fun but doubt I’d use them for real

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score

what basis do you have for claiming they didn't spend enough time sparring if you at the same time expect them to be wrecked by me?