Switching my mechanics of the jab to avoid elbow flare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had my basement cleared earlier for online BJJ class. Currently in that space just practicing 5-10 jab/hook combos and coming back here to see updates then trying new ones to figure this out.

Sort of like a question mark kick?

It is definitely goober if you don't retract after the jab.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No. It's Lennox Lewis favourite shot in boxing according to himself, although he tends to stick with the jab.
The only thing that I saw was a jab that turned into an upper cut.

Is this what you are talking about?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Acronym, how much time have you had sparring in boxing?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sort of like a question mark kick?

It is definitely goober if you don't retract after the jab.
I tried that one too, but it's still not a jab, It's more like a feint then hook. Which isn't the same as Turning a jab into a hook at the last second.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can also commit your jab only when your fist touches on your opponent's face. It's pretty much like 2 steps process:

1. touch - arm go fist, body follow.
2. punch - body push arm.

In another post, I have stated I don't know whether average boxers will do this or not.
I've seen both of these in boxing.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Funnily enough even though I'm a much worse kicker than I am puncher, when I switched to a mid section roundhouse kick, I nailed this taller dude right in the stomach, and he grimaced badly. I was just annoyed that he leaned back whenever I punched and that i couldn't get to him like I did everybody else. And he wasn't a boxer. I actually asked him afterwards.

Then I joined a boxing gym and I could tagg intermediate level guys at will with my speed.. I guess they still haven't had enough sparring experience. They sure punched a lot better on the bag than me but in sparring they were complete target practise and couldn't even hit me.

That's where i learned there's zero correlation between bag work and sparring. I thought they would beat me up.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I

I already told you that it's not a power shot. It's not meant to do damage, it's meant to get through the guard. Any impact is better than no impact. It all scores, and can be followed up if there is a sluggish response. It can also be used effectively if a fighter is on the ropes and shells up for jabs and straight rights
No impact and retracting is better than impact that does nothing and slows down your retraction.

And in general people aren't going to be shelling up if you're telegraphing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Funnily enough even though I'm a much worse kicker than I am puncher, when I switched to a mid section roundhouse kick, I nailed this taller dude right in the stomach, and he grimaced badly. I was just annoyed that he leaned back whenever I punched and that i couldn't get to him like I did everybody else. And he wasn't a boxer. I actually asked him afterwards.

Then I joined a boxing gym and I could tagg intermediate level guys at will with my speed.. I guess they still haven't had enough sparring experience. They sure punched a lot better on the bag than me but in sparring they were complete target practise and couldn't even hit me.

That's where i learned there's zero correlation between bag work and sparring. I thought they would beat me up.
That doesn't mean there's zero correlation. If it did you wouldn't see basically every boxer/trainer do it. But of the two, experience is going to give you more in sparring than bagwork.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That doesn't mean there's zero correlation. If it did you wouldn't see basically every boxer/trainer do it. But of the two, experience is going to give you more in sparring than bagwork.

They don't hit bags to improve their sparring.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They don't hit bags to improve their sparring.
Bagwork is used to improve your fighting. It helps generate power and speed, lets you work your combinations and footwork and helps you improve technique with feedback. It's just not enough without actually sparring as well, and the experience you get from another person.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bagwork is used to improve your fighting. It helps generate power and speed, lets you work your combinations and footwork and helps you improve technique with feedback. It's just not enough without actually sparring as well, and the experience you get from another person.

Intermediates have sparred. If you compared their bag work, pad work, shadow boxing to mine it was D-level vs B-level. If there was a correlation they should be able to touch me. I allowed them to touch me after a while..

They were fluid, powerful, and consistent on anything they hit that did not hit them on the other hand.

bag work does not do anything to timing, distancing, and reflexes which without it, you're lost.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They were fluid, powerful, and consistent on anything they hit that did not hit them on the other hand.

bag work does not do anything to timing, distancing, and reflexes which without it, you're lost.
Distance it can, but you're right it doesn't help out timing/reflexes/reactions. It does, hiwever, help all the other parts of fighting/sparring I mentioned above. Including things like throwing proper jabs.

Take a look at someone who only spars, and you'll see that they stagnate at a certain level.

Buka asked you this already but either you missed it or I missed your response. How long have you been boxing? And what did you do before that? Also what are you considering intermediate? To me intermediate is between 2-5 years on average, depending on training time.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Distance it can, but you're right it doesn't help out timing/reflexes/reactions. It does, hiwever, help all the other parts of fighting/sparring I mentioned above. Including things like throwing proper jabs.

Take a look at someone who only spars, and you'll see that they stagnate at a certain level.

Buka asked you this already but either you missed it or I missed your response. How long have you been boxing? And what did you do before that? Also what are you considering intermediate? To me intermediate is between 2-5 years on average, depending on training time.

I don't define intermediates, my boxing club did. It's a separate group that I was allowed to train with. I did Taekwondo for 4 years before that. I sparred once or twice against these guys.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't define intermediates, my boxing club did. It's a separate group that I was allowed to train with. I did Taekwondo for 4 years before that. I sparred once or twice against these guys.
Okay. So what does your boxing club consider intermediates?

If going in with 4 years experience against people with 6months-1year (what some clubs consider intermediate) than you should be wrecking all of them. If you aren't it would mean that your TKD was either purely sport TKD or really bad.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
Okay. So what does your boxing club consider intermediates?

If going in with 4 years experience against people with 6months-1year (what some clubs consider intermediate) than you should be wrecking all of them. If you aren't it would mean that your TKD was either purely sport TKD or really bad.

Trainer decides. I think it was between one and a half and two years.

If you've seen the guard and boxing on display by TKDoins, you wouldn't say that. They literally have zero idea when I can punch them in the face, at any time, and this goes all the way up to masters. And this includes the style I trained which allowed face punches. Also no hooks allowed in this particular organization.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
[

Trainer decides. I think it was between one and a half and two years.

If you've seen the guard and boxing on display by TKDoins, you wouldn't say that. They literally have zero idea when I can punch them in the face, at any time, and this goes all the way up to masters. And this includes the style I trained which allowed face punches. Also no hooks allowed in this particular organization.
That really depends on the TKD that you've trained. But 4 years training TKD, should mean that you should be able to beat under two years trained boxing. Which apparently it does mean for you. Keep in mind the difference in amount of training time before deciding universal training tools are ineffective.

The no hooks allowed makes a lot of sense though. It explains why you feel you can turn a jab into a hook at the last minute and have it be effective-your experience doesn't include actual hook punches (which used properly can be devastating).

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That really depends on the TKD that you've trained.

I trained the traditional ITF style.

. . Keep in mind the difference in amount of training time before deciding universal training tools are ineffective.

I don't know what that means.

The no hooks allowed makes a lot of sense though. It explains why you feel you can turn a jab into a hook at the last minute and have it be effective-your experience doesn't include actual hook punches (which used properly can be devastating).

No hooks or uppercuts allowed in sparring. We did it on pads.

Sigh.. It's not my invention to hook off the jab. I don't believe you boxed either. I specifically requested guys who have boxed for a long time in the OP

Latest Discussions